Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

How about Zenith? They seem to have really robust flybacks but super hard to troubleshoot HV problems. The cages are vented on Zenith and the tube isnt stuck in the top of the fly.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Zeniths were solid, I remember replacing only one. It had some ceramic disk caps soldered to the flyback terminals that had shorted, burning a hole in the phenolic board along the side of the fly, and taking out a thin wire coming from the fly. Tube Zenith sets had HV regulator problems, vertical problems, and convergence assemblies that would burn. That and the occasional oddball video problem (negative, ghosting, or lack of contrast) sums it up.

Doug (drh4683) can tell you more about Zenith color sets than I ever could - I was never a "dog" tech when it came to Zeniths, as Dad had his cadre of fellow techs he would consult. It was quite a cooperative spirit in the TV repair business, no competetion, because there was always TOO MUCH work to go around. I remember thinking (as a teenager) that Dad shouldn't help these other shops, as they were the competition. Dad set me straight, pointing out all the help he received - loaner service literature, loaner chassis' for parts, repair tips, and even troubleshooting assistance for no more than a thanks, or perhaps a cup of coffee. About the only taboo was bad-mouthing the other shops, as the "fellowship" was tight. If a shop failed, it was because the owner invested in too much new equipment, or hired incompetent or arrogant techs. Lots and lots of good guys in the business back then - honest, giving, and funny. I learned a lot about electronics and even more about life from those characters, and they are still dear friends, even into their 70s.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc17 View Post
Yes they did, 278.
Are you sure about them being weak? Everything I have read says they were superior to factory RCA.

I leave my HV cages open for the most part now so they run cool. I dont sit close enough to worry about x rays and I dont smoke or have dirty air that will cause a contamination issue. I also am very check cathode current and lower the line voltage to reduce heat.
Here is a picture of a Thordarson 278 flyback. My brother in law found this poor roundie in the trash a couple days ago. The chassis looks like it could be saved but the cabinet is rusted and the crt went to air. This is the first time I have seen a replacement fly for this chassis. The other two 16's I have in the collection have the original rca flybacks and they are working fine.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc16 005.jpg (123.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg ctc16 004.jpg (69.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg ctc16 003.jpg (83.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-17-2011, 06:21 PM
M is for Memory

Metal cabinet sets are semi-rare. In your shoes I'd try sand blasting the rust off, and repainting the cabinet. It may take a while, but replacement CRTs can be obtained. Heck I even have a spare round color CRT.

Sets like that are worth saveing even if it takes some elbow grease.

Tom C.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree, I would try and save it. Does the crt look like it has been abused or just leaked? Im curious because I see too many 21s going to air and wonder where they are leaking.
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Been looking for a reason to save this set so semi-rare is good enough..Thank you..This set was living in a bar. Not only is it rusted but also there is a lot of cigarette smoke damage. { That is why it is still in the car } My friends are into old cars so I will check and see if one of them has a sand blaster. The base on the CRT was loose but I do not see any damage to the neck. Over the years I have seen many round 21" CRT'S go to air. A guess is the nipple at the end of the neck gives out and the air leaks in through there. No problem with finding a good CRT. There are three of them in the closet in the other room. Normal people put clothes in the closet but not me.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ctc16 012.jpg (120.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ctc16 010.jpg (93.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember having an RCA Flyback of the upsidedown 3A3 era go up in smoke while the chassis was on my bench for an audio problem. Much to my surprise, the customer was okay with the whole saga.
I used a lot of aftermarket flybacks and I don't have any memory of even one failing later on.
RCA did not have an exclusive franchise for flyback meltdown.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:43 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I guess they MUST be scarce now... I wouldn't have thought it would bring more than $10. I used to have boxes of replacement FBTs, and couldn't sell them at all. I wound up selling the whole lot (100+) for about $60 on eBay, and it included CTC-4, Motorola 19" CBS-tube, and many RCA roundie ones. That was only a few years ago too. The were too heavy to ship, so I met the buyer 1/2 way and he paid for gas.

Charles
Old 06-18-2011, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember the days of constantly cleaning the cigarette dust out of the electronics when they still allowed smoking in clubs out here. NASTY! Let it bake in the hot car then get in there and hot box it. I cant believe anyone still smokes, it just baffles me. Cell phones seem to be the preferred modern addictive carcinogenic choice.

That is one set that would get a very good cleaning before it came in the house. Almost as bad as roaches.

Still worth saving though.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:11 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
...Motorola 19" CBS-tube...

Ya know, there's a guy looking for one of those on the ETF classifieds. It's been up since 2010.

"WANTED - Horiz output transfromer for a Motorola 19CT1. THANKS. Chip, 304 268 7754, thomaschip1 at aol dot com (10/21/10)"
Old 06-18-2011, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chip is a member here, btw.