Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

rca xl-100 and works in the drawer commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl2Hgu_kDss

rca is at 57:00 , quasar around 2:02

gotta love the life size tubes
Old 12-14-2018, 08:45 PM
I love old stuff

You mean 2:02:xy, not minute 2:02. It's around 2:02:24. The "Quasar" was solid state, "R.C.A." XL-100 was hybrid
I like the lady from 1:58:51
Old 12-15-2018, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

XL100 were definitely solid state, as was that particular Quasar. Someone here recently told me they later added a cheaper 4-tube hybrid WID set as well.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

We sold both of those brands (and later, Philco, and Zenith). The RCA XL-100 stood for 100% solid state. The Quasar I was solid state, the Quasar II went back to hybrid with four tubes. Had to love all the bad connections in the 'works in the drawer'. I've still got boards or modules for those; most problems came down to pin contacts, not the board itself.
Dan
Old 05-10-2019, 03:07 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarehobbyso$ View Post
We sold both of those brands (and later, Philco, and Zenith). The RCA XL-100 stood for 100% solid state. The Quasar I was solid state, the Quasar II went back to hybrid with four tubes. Had to love all the bad connections in the 'works in the drawer'. I've still got boards or modules for those; most problems came down to pin contacts, not the board itself.
Dan
I've heard that the XL in XL-100 stood for eXtended Life, and it was borrowed from older nomenclature such as the CTC-16XL.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have an RCA 19" CTC-185 TV, bought new in 1999, which also has "XL-100" and next to it "Commercial SKIP", at the upper left corner of the cabinet, above the CRT. I spoke over the phone with an RCA representative several years later and found out that "XL-100", as used on RCA TVs of 1990s-21st century vintage (as mine is), did not stand for "Extended Life" but was simply a model designation. I haven't seen this on today's RCA Roku TVs or other RCA flat screen sets; perhaps the "XL-100" designation was dropped, either at the turn of the last century or when RCA began marketing Roku sets. It may have been that RCA felt it no longer had to promote its 100-percent solid-state TV design after the year 2000 (and certainly after the DTV transition, when CRT sets were declared all but obsolete), although this is purely conjecture on my part.

BTW, I am not at all sure if the XL-100 branding had anything to do with the RCA CTC-16XL (I doubt it very much), but it is certainly possible. As another person here mentioned, however, the "XL-100" designation originally was used when RCA began building its TVs with 100-percent solid-state components, no tubes whatsoever except the CRT and the HV rectifier (though I believe by the time the original "XL-100" chassis came out, the latter may have been replaced with SS components, namely a high-voltage solid-state diode and associated circuitry).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I spoke over the phone with an RCA representative several years later and found out that "XL-100", as used on RCA TVs of 1990s-21st century vintage (as mine is), did not stand for "Extended Life" but was simply a model designation.
RCA boasted of "Extended Life" in their original XL-100 commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xT0KPoPBto

Old 05-11-2019, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm going to have to go up in the attic and dig out some sales literature from the time and see if Extended Life was promoted-I do seem to recall that.
Commercial Skip - there may have been a chassis that scanned channels during commercials. I do recall the VCR's for a couple years would record a movie or soap opera, then rewind and tag the commercials, so that when you replayed it, they would be skipped. Worked OK; advertisers hated the idea. Radio Corporation of America first went French, then around 2000 went Chinese (that's when we stopped selling them - their quality dropped through the floor. So todays RCA really has no affiliation with the one a lot of us grew up with.
Dan
Old 05-11-2019, 11:47 AM
sampson159

i remember every one of those commercials.xl100 sets were among the finest ever built,right up there with the zeniths of the era.i have my xl100 that i got from the etf auction in 2007.still on the pallet and was from a museum on display.picture is amazing!it was the best time for tv but repair went south.those ss sets lasted a long time and our incomes suffered.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

The WID sets came out backwards 100% SS then hybrids. Probably saw they were loosing to many sales on the low end. IIRC Zenith flat chassis SS sets
went for $150+ more than the hybrid. The hybrids & SS sets were all but the same in the SS stages with lots of interchangable parts.
IIRC the XL100 designation was on sets that were modular as opposed to
the CTC40 etc 25" non modular sets. The ad campaign was very successful.
Zenith only had the hybrid & everyone wanted an XL100. Sales suffered on 14, 16 & 19" sets. Next year Zenith had 17 & 19" sets & sales soared.
The XL100 label came & went over the years but always on the lower end of the line.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 05-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Motorola Minion

I recall Colortrak replacing XL-100 for the more expensive 1976 models, yet XL-100 was applied to all the post-1975 lower priced 19" and smaller TV's. Both names lasted into the late 1980s