Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the shaft is round and you need half round JUST GRIND or FILE HALF THE CIRCLE OFF....It ain't rocket science.
OK... but that seems like a lot of work to put into something like that.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
OK... but that seems like a lot of work to put into something like that.
Thirty seconds with a file is a lot of work?

Also I am really confused about what you said about any of those three switches would work. Are you looking at them size-wise only? All three are distinctly different in their applications and functionality.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm not finding that magnavox club you mentioned so it seems they maybe went under??
Here's another board: http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/board,2.0.html
Old 11-21-2015, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post

Also I am really confused about what you said about any of those three switches would work. Are you looking at them size-wise only? All three are distinctly different in their applications and functionality.

I'm used to metal working and filing a flat on the shaft, will take a bit longer than that. It depends what the shaft materal is, steel, aluminum or brass.
I'm a bit older than many of you and have the tools to perform, these tasks.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

I've not really done any metal work before and I kind of doubt it would take only 30 seconds especially when I have zero metal working experience.

As for those three switches I mentioned and linked to, I said that they might be possibilities because they are the same general style of switch as what's in this radio right now as far as having the 12 lug solder connections on a little wafer board is what I meant and also I believe that they could also be adjusted to do any set of fixed positions kind of like how the original switch was where they had adjusted some stops inside the switch to make it so it only went to the 4 positions that were needed for the tone control application that it was being used for.
Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2015, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I'm used to metal working and filing a flat on the shaft, will take a bit longer than that. It depends what the shaft materal is, steel, aluminum or brass.
I'm a bit older than many of you and have the tools to perform, these tasks.
That's my point, and that wiscojim doesn't seem to understand about me, I'm only 27 years old, and I haven't done a whole lot of metal working at all in my life with files or grinders and I don't have any files or grinders and with me being on disability and not currently having a job (except what little work I get doing repair work for people with vintage electronics) I don't get that that much money to buy stuff like a $200 bench grinder or a $150 set of files. I'm lucky to of even been able to of gotten the tools I have right now that I use which were given to me by relatives for Christmas gifts, or I had bought for a real good price at Aldi or Radio Shack, or even got from my Grandfather when passed away. I just want you guys to know that I'm just trying to do my best with what I have to work with and what knowledge and experience I have gained over the past 15 years of working on these things, just be thankful that I'm one of the very few millenials that's even got an interest in these antique and vintage radios and record players at all because to be honest most people in my age group (as attested to by many of the posts on here) would rather just chuck these old radios out than try to figure out what they are or how they work, let alone try to fix them! The mindset of the millenials is that if it doesn't have a way to hookup an ipod to it or if it doesn't have FM Stereo then its garbage.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I don't get that that much money to buy stuff like a $200 bench grinder or a $150 set of files.
Please don't exaggerate the cost of basic tools to make a point. You don't have to buy top-of-the-line stuff.

A file for this purpose will cost about $3 new, and a bolt on bench hand grinder will rarely be over $10 at estate and yard sale.

And it's not very complicated at all to use a file. You should really learn sometime how to use basic hand tools. You'll be amazed how much money you can save in a lifetime by learning basic tool skills and investing in a very modest number of tools.

You at age 27 have a tremendous resource that us older guys didn't have. You-tube can quickly and easily show you how to do most anything.

Back in the old day us dinosaurs had to learn things on our own by experimentation or by going to the library and reading a book if we didn't have a mentor nearby. A lot of the older generations were already sufficiently proficient with hand tools long before getting through school.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Please don't exaggerate the cost of basic tools to make a point. You don't have to buy top-of-the-line stuff.

A file for this purpose will cost about $3 new, and a bolt on bench hand grinder will rarely be over $10 at estate and yard sale.

And it's not very complicated at all to use a file. You should really learn sometime how to use basic hand tools. You'll be amazed how much money you can save in a lifetime by learning basic tool skills and investing in a very modest number of tools.

You at age 27 have a tremendous resource that us older guys didn't have. You-tube can quickly and easily show you how to do most anything.

Back in the old day us dinosaurs had to learn things on our own by experimentation or by going to the library and reading a book if we didn't have a mentor nearby. A lot of the older generations were already sufficiently proficient with hand tools long before getting through school.

Yeah well the problem is that I don't own my own place, I rent, and I don't think that my landlord would appreciated me using a bench grinder in my place and before you say anything, NO I don't have a garage because the garage is where I'm in now (it was made into part of the house back in the late 2000s.)
Old 11-22-2015, 02:39 PM
M is for Memory

Depending on the shaft metal and the file that is a 3-25 minute task.

You are seriously intimidated by not knowing how to use a metal file?....Seriously, would a screwdriver or saw intimidate you?....Cause a file is just as simple. I'm 24, there have always been tools laying around in my house, and I can't think of ONE that was too intimidating to just pick up and try to figure out and use on zero experience. And trust me files are not noisy.

You go to fleas, and presumably other second hand shopping.....I expect you could find a decent used file for 50 cents reasonably quickly if you keep your eyes open.

No money is a lousy excuse for letting a project overwhelm you....I've had times where I could not afford to buy caps, and needed to improvise with parts pulled from BPC TVs and dead CFLs, and had to sell at swap meets to get money to buy new sets, parts, and tools. Making gold out of dirt is an essential skill of restoration, and often that means stretching your dollar, material resources, tools and most of all your mind (to come up with better ways of doing so).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-22-2015, 03:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yeah well the problem is that I don't own my own place, I rent, and I don't think that my landlord would appreciated me using a bench grinder in my place and before you say anything, NO I don't have a garage because the garage is where I'm in now (it was made into part of the house back in the late 2000s.)
I can't see how this could bother a landlord. You clamp it to your table or counter-top, crank it for a couple minutes, put it away. No big deal.

Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2015, 03:54 PM
60s Throwback

Is there really a reason for this thread to start running away like this? If he says he can't afford to buy the tools, let it be. Obviously, he's doing the best he can with the resources he has. Let's just all try to help one another the best we can. That's what this site is supposed to be about.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by consoleguy67 View Post
Is there really a reason for this thread to start running away like this? If he says he can't afford to buy the tools, let it be. Obviously, he's doing the best he can with the resources he has. Let's just all try to help one another the best we can. That's what this site is supposed to be about.
Thank you, finally a voice of reason!

Its not that I couldn't use a file (I've used one before at my parents place when I still lived there with them because my dad owns a couple of files) its just trying to figure out what size of file to use and trying to make sure I don't take off too much metal and ruin the knob in the process. I know I could go to a flea market to get some files, in fact there's a booth at the one flea market where one of my customers works at that has hundreds of files for sale in his booth but the intimidating part is like I said trying to find the right size of file for the task, I don't want to get too big of a file and end up taking too much metal off of the control's shaft and then ruin it and I don't want to get too small of one either and take too little metal off and then not have the knob fit at all.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Depending on the shaft metal and the file that is a 3-25 minute task.

You are seriously intimidated by not knowing how to use a metal file?....Seriously, would a screwdriver or saw intimidate you?....Cause a file is just as simple. I'm 24, there have always been tools laying around in my house, and I can't think of ONE that was too intimidating to just pick up and try to figure out and use on zero experience. And trust me files are not noisy.

You go to fleas, and presumably other second hand shopping.....I expect you could find a decent used file for 50 cents reasonably quickly if you keep your eyes open.

No money is a lousy excuse for letting a project overwhelm you....I've had times where I could not afford to buy caps, and needed to improvise with parts pulled from BPC TVs and dead CFLs, and had to sell at swap meets to get money to buy new sets, parts, and tools. Making gold out of dirt is an essential skill of restoration, and often that means stretching your dollar, material resources, tools and most of all your mind (to come up with better ways of doing so).
one of the flea markets I go to (which is where one of my customers that I repair some record players for him works and owns the shop) has a booth with nothing but tools in it and has hundreds of files in his booth for sale and I thought about buying a few files from him, but I wasn't sure what sizes I should get because I didn't want to get any files that were going to be too big or too small for what they would be used for. Plus I think he was a little overpriced, because he had a single file that was used and in kind of rough condition for $15...
Old 11-22-2015, 04:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by consoleguy67 View Post
Let's just all try to help one another the best we can. That's what this site is supposed to be about.
That's funny, I thought the advice I gave was to help him out: "You should really learn sometime how to use basic hand tools. You'll be amazed how much money you can save in a lifetime by learning basic tool skills and investing in a very modest number of tools.

You at age 27 have a tremendous resource that us older guys didn't have. You-tube can quickly and easily show you how to do most anything."

I'm exiting this thread now, I have more important things to do. The Green Bay Packers game is on!

Old 11-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's funny, I thought the advice I gave was to help him out: "You should really learn sometime how to use basic hand tools. You'll be amazed how much money you can save in a lifetime by learning basic tool skills and investing in a very modest number of tools.

You at age 27 have a tremendous resource that us older guys didn't have. You-tube can quickly and easily show you how to do most anything."

I'm exiting this thread now, I have more important things to do. The Green Bay Packers game is on!

Good luck with that endevour, last I checked the packers sucked eggs.

Also last I checked when you commented on one of my other threads I had posted the one about the old sony tv I had found at the goodwill dropbox, you weren't the least bit helpful in that thread, if anything you were being a troll, which I don't like internet trolls because they're just a pain in the arse.

Also I never said I wouldn't eventually invest in some files but right now I can't also if you would of paid attention to my posting I had just posted you would of seen that I had said that I was intimidated by trying to figure out what size of file to get rather than just the use of it, because as you know mr. expert files come in all different shapes and sizes and you have to get the right one for the task you need to do and if you get the wrong one then you have the potential to ruin your projects.

Now can we please get this thread back on topic!?

Last edited by Captainclock; 11-22-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Audiokarma