Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, guys. I guess it's all in what you want to do. I enjoy the challenge of working on them, so the worse shape they're in, the more fun for me.

As to music stations Jeff, yeah, 960 Kc. from Carlisle is what I picked up. However there are a couple or three locals that play music, two country and one light mainstream. I can get 740 out of Mapleleafland at night.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
VK Member

Super job!!!

Bill H.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 PM
SW DXing

Wow! It's looking incredibly sharp. Such a handsome design. I hope it gives you many years of faithful service.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 AM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
... Then I painted the wrong side of the veneer and the top of cabinet top with three coats of slightly thinned yellow wood glue, allowing to dry between coats, and then to dry overnight.

Next day I put the veneer and plywood top dried glue sides together and pressed with a medium-hot iron using a piece of brown paper between the iron and veneer. ...
What brand of glue did you use ? I have some Titebond II on hand that I could experiment with
Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

That should be fine. I used Elmer's wood glue but any wood glue would work. The woodworker's wish: "I would that my wood glue would work." The brown paper insulator between the iron and the veneer can be just a piece of a paper grocery bag, etc. Press hard with the iron all around and keep it moving. If it's a large piece, work so that any ripples in the veneer can be worked towards an edge and out. If, after you're done and before the piece has any finish on it, if you see a place that didn't bond, you can iron it again.

BTW, Mrs. likes the Firestone and thinks it's pretty!

Audiokarma
Old 07-25-2010, 01:33 PM
RCA 741PCS

You'd be crazy not to like it

I did a little experiment over the weekend following your directions. It worked quite well - the glue is really holding tight. Yay, no more clamping for hours
Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is a great and hugely valuable thread I must say for all vintage radio enthusiasts. A superb job on a great old AA5. I hope that I am out of place by throwing in here that I recently purchased one of these and all I really need is a dial glass that isn't flaking. The idea used in this thread was superbly engineered, but nothing I am prepared to do.

So Reece if you have thought of doing others and/or are already offering these; I would be interested. Or if anyone here just has a good original I would also be interested. Just wanted to throw this out there. Thanks all!
Old 12-16-2016, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

TubeJunkie, I only just saw your post. I will send you a PM.

Reece

Old 12-17-2016, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Thanks, Jr. Tech, you beat me to it. I remember seeing Firestone car batteries, and some folks who lived near us had a Firestone refrigerator. NostalgiaAir refers some Firestone radio models to Stewart-Warner. Not sure in this case but sometimes with "store brand" sets the seller contracted with various manufacturers from year to year.
Firestone had Stewart Warner build a lot of their radios. They also contracted with Wells Gardner, Belmont, Sonora, even GE and several others, that I can't think of at the moment.