Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
I like....big sparks!!

Sure! Drop 'em a note and ask for a QSL. KFYR is quite the station...5kW with a 5/8 wave self-supporting tower (old school, for sure). Sitting on 550 in that rich Missouri River valley soil at Bismarck gives them one of the largest groundwave coverage areas in the US. Skywave ain't no slouch, either.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
boatanchors rule!

Here's a couple of not-trying-too-hard catches I've made in the last couple of days.
The RX is my Hammarlund HQ 145X and the antenna system is a pair of longwire antenna end fed to the leadin. One wire is 100 ft running E-W and the other running N-S. My location is NW Florida about 40 miles N of Pensacola at about 31 deg N 87 deg W:
WXM 650 Nashville
WBBM 780 Chicago
WJR 760 Detroit
WLOR 1550 Huntsville AL.
WPHT 1210 Philly, PA
These were all grey period listening sessions.

Question: Do any stations still do on-air transmitter checks? You know, with the tone sweeps and such like they used to do back in the "good old days"?

I once tuned in a 500W daytime only station in Falfurrias TX (don't recall the call or dial position) at about 3am MST from my Albuquerque NM location while they were doing their tests.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:28 PM
The Devil Inside

I can't remember the frequency, but I picked up an Atlanta AM station in my car in the St. Louis area back in high school. Braves game, Atlanta ads. I can't remember anything further than that.

Now if we want to talk about shortwave...my Euro-spec Philips pocket radio is a champ.