Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB5pro View Post
I agree with Dvae that $40. should be top dollar if dealing with fair minded people. I agree that many people skim the pages of this site and see what they want to see and believe they have something worth 100 times more than it is. I agree that if u can't find one anywhere 100 could be a low price but I recommend Daves approach to possibly get a fair price even if no others are around. At any day there could be 2 or 3 to choose from right after u buy it. However, I am sure it is worth going to look at and explain to the buyer all relevant points and most likely they will let u peek inside the cabinet and HV cage at the very least if they are in any way a decent person with half a mind or better. I think the fact that set exists after all the use it apperas to have had indicates a strong likelyhood it could have a new flyback and very good if not newish CRT.
I hope somebody can get to it to help avoid losing a new flyback and or picture tube. Even if you dont have room for the whole cabinet that I think looks pretty nice, you could save the parts and throw the cabinet in the trash (save some wood veneer for repairing other cabinets) which is much better than the whole thing being trashed which is most likely what will happen to it. I wish I could go get it.
no offense intended jeffs i put this here jus hopin my words are seen to get somebody to get the parts at the least cause i got a feeling that set is worth it. jus seems to be a logical likelyhood
Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

More on my logical assuption... There is no way that is the original CRT cause it has no catatracs and the phosphor color is lighter than the original for that set. That fact along with the wrong knob and color controls that have been cleaned wrong erasing the pretty colors indicate the set was used alot and therefore had repairs. It is almost a certanty that the flyback was changed for it to last long enough to need a CRT. So, doesn't matter the circuit boards may be baked. You are likely to get a god CRT, Flyback, Yoke, correct wood veneer to repair cabinets and many other small parts, maybe even a good transformer. Then you are stocked tomaintain or rebuild another and just throw away all you dont want like the cabinet faceplate, etc.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:08 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
More on my logical assuption... There is no way that is the original CRT cause it has no catatracs and the phosphor color is lighter than the original for that set.

All respect due, that is just as you said- an assumption. Just because it's free of PVA deterioration is NOT proof of other chassis parts replacement. I had an original Zenith tube in my closet that had no cats... The lighter color may just be because of the way the photo was taken, and it wasn't a very good shot to begin with. Also remember that not all brands used the same material to attach the lens, and there's no promise they all transmit the same amount of ambient light. Ones with frosted lenses will look different still.

Quote:
That fact along with the wrong knob and color controls that have been cleaned wrong erasing the pretty colors indicate the set was used alot and therefore had repairs.
Again, conjecture. Proof of use is not proof of repairs. Just because a set has a lot of hours doesn't mean it had repairs, I've seen plenty of sets go all the way on all original parts.

Quote:
It is almost a certanty that the flyback was changed for it to last long enough to need a CRT.

What do you base this wild claim on? Again, I have seen many sets with a lot of hours and original transformers. My own CTC-4 has a lot of hours on it, and aside from a flyback that RCA themselves changed (apparently due to a manufacture's update part, not failure as evidenced by the hang tags left by the techs), the chassis was all original when I picked it up from the original owner's home in Indiana. The CRT in it had been replaced at least 3 times, which can be seen by the glass welds on the picture tube. So by your logic, it has had at least 2 flybacks replaced right?

Quote:
So, doesn't matter the circuit boards may be baked. You are likely to get a god CRT, Flyback, Yoke, correct wood veneer to repair cabinets and many other small parts, maybe even a good transformer. Then you are stocked to maintain or rebuild another and just throw away all you dont want like the cabinet faceplate, etc.

High hour sets do tend to have baked PCB's, but again, we can't see the back of the set. Mark's CTC-9 had some good hours on it, ask him what condition the chassis parts were in when he started...

I not saying this to be a jerk or anything, but there are some wild claims being made here. I know I'm not alone when I say that not all of these old sets were 'bad' with respect to maintenance, in fact some of them went a lot of years between servicing and never needed parts. My CTC-7 still has the original flyback, and has had at least one CRT replacement during it's lifetime...
Old 03-27-2011, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
All respect due, that is just as you said- an assumption. Just because it's free of PVA deterioration is NOT proof of other chassis parts replacement. I had an original Zenith tube in my closet that had no cats... The lighter color may just be because of the way the photo was taken, and it wasn't a very good shot to begin with. Also remember that not all brands used the same material to attach the lens, and there's no promise they all transmit the same amount of ambient light. Ones with frosted lenses will look different still.

Again, conjecture. Proof of use is not proof of repairs. Just because a set has a lot of hours doesn't mean it had repairs, I've seen plenty of sets go all the way on all original parts.

What do you base this wild claim on? Again, I have seen many sets with a lot of hours and original transformers. My own CTC-4 has a lot of hours on it, and aside from a flyback that RCA themselves changed (apparently due to a manufacture's update part, not failure as evidenced by the hang tags left by the techs), the chassis was all original when I picked it up from the original owner's home in Indiana. The CRT in it had been replaced at least 3 times, which can be seen by the glass welds on the picture tube. So by your logic, it has had at least 2 flybacks replaced right?

High hour sets do tend to have baked PCB's, but again, we can't see the back of the set. Mark's CTC-9 had some good hours on it, ask him what condition the chassis parts were in when he started...

I not saying this to be a jerk or anything, but there are some wild claims being made here. I know I'm not alone when I say that not all of these old sets were 'bad' with respect to maintenance, in fact some of them went a lot of years between servicing and never needed parts. My CTC-7 still has the original flyback, and has had at least one CRT replacement during it's lifetime...

I have to agree.He's condemning it to a parts set and hasn't even seen the inside of the set.High hours doesn't necessarily bake circuit boards.

I know I'm comparing a completely different set here but I have a 56 Admiral here that defininitely had high hours on it. only 1 tube was an Admiral tube and it was weak.The crt was missing the base but comparing the label with an RCA Silverama tube I have here which is identical I believe it is a replacement Siverama tube rather than the original further evidence of high hours. it's darkened somewhat around the heater area(I'd say from high hours) and it is even a little weak but has a great picture after about a minute or 2.The flyback and yoke are original though.

Only the area around the audio output tube is baked somewhat since it's a hot running tube that they pc mounted.

Last edited by JCFitz; 03-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

hey dudes dr. phil might call u "right fighters" if u keep misinterpreting my words. my point is someone should go check it out whether to save or parts if nobody else wants it .... doii
Audiokarma
Old 03-27-2011, 05:31 PM

I take your words as I see them...

If you're stating your opinion that there are likely bad parts because of your opinion that the CRT is a replacement, I've interpreted your words exactly as they are written.

I you meant that someone should check it out to ascertain it's condition, would it not have been easier to just say so?

Clarity on the internet is important, we're not talking to each other face to face and often times people can be misunderstood.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
I take your words as I see them...

If you're stating your opinion that there are likely bad parts because of your opinion that the CRT is a replacement, I've interpreted your words exactly as they are written.

I you meant that someone should check it out to ascertain it's condition, would it not have been easier to just say so?

Clarity on the internet is important, we're not talking to each other face to face and often times people can be misunderstood.
Why are u tryin to say I mean things i dont mean? any reasonably well educated pperson that reads what i wrote will support my claims as fair minded with an obvious intention to save the frikk n TV. why write to me as though i wrote something wrong or innappropriate? U really can't understand what i wrote to obviously try to save a good worthwhile set? u can't see i am on the same team as u? perhaps u dont like my words of jest in other posts and dislike me for having a sense of humor above high school level?
could u do me a flavor? give me a break pleeeas!!!!!!! go fix tv's and respect me as i respect u
Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

OK, guys, let's all back off a notch or 2 here...Yes, the WRITTEN word can, and frequently DOES, get taken the wrong way-'Specially on the Internoot...That's why we ALL have to be a lot more accomodating & give each other the benefit of the doubt.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

fair enough
Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Why are u tryin to say I mean things i dont mean?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm telling you what your statements meant to ME. It was my impression that you were saying the set had obviously bad parts in it because of what you perceived as a replacement tube. That may or may not be the case, but my previous statement stands: you can't sit there and say it has other bad parts simply because the CRT has been replaced. There's no basis in fact for that, none of us have seen it.

Quote:
any reasonably well educated pperson that reads what i wrote will support my claims as fair minded with an obvious intention to save the frikk n TV.
I never said it should not be saved, I'm simply disagreeing with your assertion that CRT replacements also mean flybacks and other parts must have gone bad. It's simply not true, until proven otherwise.

Quote:
u can't see i am on the same team as u? perhaps u dont like my words of jest in other posts and dislike me for having a sense of humor above high school level?

We are all on the same team, what we have here is either a failure to communicate or a misunderstanding. All I'm doing is disagreeing with you, if you don't like it you're free to disagree with me as well.

Quote:
could u do me a flavor? give me a break pleeeas!!!!!!! go fix tv's and respect me as i respect u

I'm not bagging on you, it helps to have thicker skin on the net though. After all, you don't even know me so it makes no sense to get mad at a computer screen. The people who do know me (banderson, Mark, Wayne, ect) know that I'm pretty easy going, let's just chill a little bit.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

coo koo....coo koo
Old 03-27-2011, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Okay, I'm going to bring up the CRT in question on this set. When the CTC-Xx series sets were introduced they came from RCA with their new "Hi-Lite" series tube which the safety glass had the blueish tint to it and matched the appearence of the bezel.

The earlier CTC-16 series with the greenish surround on it's bezel had the greenish tint tube that was not a "Hi-Lite" but more along the lines of earlier 21FJP's.

The RCA "Colorama" series rebuilts had the blueish face just like the "Hi-Lites".

Yes, I do believe that this set has some kind of a replacment CRT in it.

Heck, any tube that has no cateract, has vacuum and tests good nowadays is always a keeper! Even if it was some cheap local off brand rebuild!

Parts set or not, someone needs to check it out!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
coo koo....coo koo
I take it you don't believe 2 people can have a disagreement without also having an arguement, then?

Marty, I didn't know the bezels also changed to match the CRT's. Pretty interesting. If that is so, then it likely does have a replacement tube in it. Funny thing is both my old RCA sets have this sort of beige colored CRT surround, where the 21CYP22 tubes in them are grey or some kinda off-white. Wonder when they started color matching the bezels? Had to be after the CTC-9 series...

Last edited by miniman82; 03-27-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I like that cabinet style. It's a late 16 or it might even be a CTC-20.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I didn't mean to get you guys riled up at each other over a tv neither of you want and both are probably too far away to save.

I saw this set on craigslist and thought someone here might save it that lives in a big old house or has a shop behind their house might save it. I thought I might like an RCA roundie to keep my 29JC20 Zenith company but dammit roundies take up a lot of room and I already have in a single wide mobile home 6 jukeboxes,a1967 Seeburg HSC1 album player(Its like an overgrown console stereo that's a cross between a jukebox and a console stereo holds 50 albums and is 6 feet long to those that never heard of it and don't know what one is)1 large size Magnavox console stereo,1 Zenith roundie console tv,a 1951 RCA b/w console and the 1956 admiral console soon to go to its new home.

If no one wants to save it rather than fighting with each other maybe I should have just kept it to myself. It is a 3 to 4 hour trip 1 way though. I only wish someone in the area would check it out first.

Last edited by JCFitz; 03-27-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread