Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Mark

Picked up a CTC-9 at the ETF

Here is the CTC-9 I picked up at the ETF Convention. There were only two early color sets for sale and I was lucky enough to snag this one at a fair price. The other one didn’t have UHF and went for only 15 bucks less than this one did, the cabinet was also not as nice. The CRT has been replaced with a Colorama {rebuilt of course} 21FBP22 on 4-15-68 and has the paperwork inside the set with the customers name and the place that did the work. The serial numbers match on the card and CRT which is a very good thing. I was a little upset about it having the wrong tube in it until I saw this. At least it’s an RCA tube put in by an RCA tech and not some unknown POS that somebody stuck in it out in their garage to sell the set. The CRT is strong as well, that is also better than dealing with a dead 21CYP22! I have tested the tubes and have found 10 bad ones, most of those appear to be original. I am trying to find all RCA replacements to make it as original as possible. I will also be re-stuffing the cans on this one, no terminal strips!! The chassis is in great shape with no rust or corrosion, there is quite a bit of cigarette smoke to remove but it could be worse. The FBT and all HV related components are also in great shape. The brightness and tint knobs are missing but hopefully I can find replacements. I have high hopes for this set, after the repairs are made it should perform beautifully. The cabinet also has some issues but I think I can fix it, I'm not too worried as the damaged parts are on the real wood not the masonite sides or whatever they are made of. The top and front are real wood, with a damn photo finish but it is fixable. I am taking my time on this set and am acquiring everything I will need to do the work before I start. Plus I’m still dealing with that dumb Admiral that has been on my bench more than anything else I’ve had, but I will not give up on it! She and this set will live again!
Thanks to the AK member{I can’t remember who, please inform me} that took my picture with the set and especially to Bob for giving me the space in the van to bring it home!! Also, thanks to Bob Dobush for letting me have it for a price I could afford!

After I cleaned 'er up

This is after I cleaned the knobs and took off the paper stickers someone had on the VHF knob, I would rather look at the worn numbers than those ugly stickers.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 05-16-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Enjoy the restoration Mark. Nice documentation. It's always fun walk back through the life of a vintage set.

Pete
Old 05-12-2008, 09:31 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Nice pics, thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 PM
sampson159

doesnt he look happy with that set! nice picture ,mark.glad to see a good young man like him with a dream set.for all us old-timers out there-this is the future of our hobby.very nice,hard working,intelligent man. i am the better for getting to talk with him at the etf convention.our hobby is safe in his hands!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Dead from the neck up

That is definitely a nice 9. I go from my own experience here. I think all that will be needed is to replace the lytics. I just re-soft started my 9. I had a can getting a little to warm for comfort. I think you may actually be at an advantage with the 21FB. The FB is brighter than the CY. Great score.

We both were speaking with Ron. Did he leave any contact info? I need to get in touch for a possible job op. If anyone has an email, please pass it on. Ron, if you see this message, please email or PM me.
Audiokarma
Old 05-13-2008, 01:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good score. I was crabby about having to miss the convention this year, but got to view some of the presentations on the live Internet feed.

It's always fun to find bits of the old paperwork -- gives you a sense of the set's history.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Good score. I was crabby about having to miss the convention this year, but got to view some of the presentations on the live Internet feed.

It's always fun to find bits of the old paperwork -- gives you a sense of the set's history.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Most of the presentations and the auction are still available on the ETF website. Thanks to Steve & his helpers for making this all possible for those of you who couldn't make it in person.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

But, But, But....That is an RCA an' YOU are "Zenithman"....IT WON'T WORK...You WON'T like it...square-peg-in-round-hole sort of thing...You NEED to send it to me, as I like ALL God's Chilluns, be they RCA, Zenith, Motorolas, or Admirals...(grin) Seriously, GREAT score ! Can't wait to see the Glorious Lollipop Color on it...
Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Mark,

Great pictures.
I recall your disapointment at being outbid on the first CTC-9 at the ETF. And how delighted you were when you discovered the 2nd one, also an "Anniversary" model, sitting at the back of the hall. You did get the better of the two sets. As for the channel #'s. Brush on some gold paint for scale models. Let it settle into the indented numbers and wipe off the excess. Should work. Those missing knobs are pretty common and someone here should be able to supply them. Look forward to seeing your 9 up and running.

-Steve D.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Mark

Thanks for the compliments and tips, guys. It was a great pleasure to meet so many of you in person. I hope to speak with you all again at the next ETF convention, I feel very fortunate to be learning from the best! When I get this thing going I'll be sure to post pics, I can't wait to see the picture on it. I'll try to get something done to it in the next week or so, but I refuse to rush on this one.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Thanks for the compliments and tips, guys. It was a great pleasure to meet so many of you in person. I hope to speak with you all again at the next ETF convention, I feel very fortunate to be learning from the best! When I get this thing going I'll be sure to post pics, I can't wait to see the picture on it. I'll try to get something done to it in the next week or so, but I refuse to rush on this one.
Well Mark, you're ahead of me. At least you got yours indoors. The CTC-9 I bought at the ETF auction only made it as far as my garage. I've got to get some of the other stuff out of the house and either sold or off to the storage bins before I can work on mine. As everyone who saw both sets at the ETF already mentioned, looks like you got the better of the two. I knew I should have bought that one from Bob Dobush also, and used the best chassis, cabinet, and CRT to make to a really nice set, but you beat me to the other one. Congratulations!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

nice rca ! one will come my way someday ,take picture of it on when your finished
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Mark

I have some pictures of it working but they're on my dead computer. I'll take some more when I get her out of storage. I recapped the chassis and it works great but I still have the cabinet to fix up. I also spent about 6 hours detail cleaning the chassis.
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 05-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

That set works pretty well, I've seen it in the flesh. Don't see too many Anniversary models, I like the styling. UHF too!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Came from Parkersburg, hmmm, I wonder if it could have come from the closed TV shop discussed here many moons ago? A whole pile of stuff ended up on the curb. I got a few of the sets (no roundies) from a gentleman in Parkersburg who rescued them. I know more than one person made it by that place before the garbage truck.