Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
I GOT IT!!!

\

http://suzaku.live-evil.org/0521232108.jpg Who stole the tuner cover!?!?!

more later!
Those Standard Coil tuners always needed cleaning.
They used to sell a kit that had a special cleaner and lube, plus a foam pad that went on the cover with the lube. After a while, the pad deteriorated and cruded up the tuner more.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, the tuner was very dirty, it was a bitch to get out because of the silly front screw in system they use that you have some odd key to unscrew.
Even after cleaning the contacts for chan 3, had problems getting a clear pic due to what I believe to be tired/ worn tuner tubes, only after hooking in a 15db rf amp was I able to tune in a clear video w/o snow.
Cause as mentioned, it seems that almost every tube is OEM and most likely worn/ tired.
I did try a couple of 6GH8As in the V19 socket ( h-blanker / bandpass) that were of unknown state, the first one made no change in the picture at all, the other must have been VERY bad, cause something smoked as soon as it was turned on, but STILL WORKED when the previous tube was put back, will no doubt find what it was when I check resistors, most likely many will be out of tolerance and need to be replaced.

Tubes ordered so far, based on what was observed, both tuner tubes, video output tube ( the video was being overpowered by color ) and the R-Y B-Y G-Y compactron, what color there was , is very off balance like one of the Y-amps was weak, though this could be bad resistors, but a 50+ year tube can also do it.

As mentioned, C1 is going to be a big pain to replace, C2 C3, are not so bad, but it looks like C1 was put in first, soldered in a very tight area, and then everything else wired in neatly and tightly in layers under it, there is no way to reach the bottom of C1 w/o ripping it all up.

What I may end up doing is attacking C1 with a dremel cutting wheel, won't be pretty but should work, cut around the base remove can and guts, work down to attach 3 new caps using solderable base of old C1 while leaving wiring to it under it undisturbed. ( idea anyway ).

But for now, gonna start with checking resistors on the chroma / luminance board.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another annoying thing with this TV, is that “Instant On” was enabled, most likely for a very long time, which must have cooked the heck out of these poor old tubes.
Also, not seeing full vertical deflection, and linearity is a tad off, also a sign of bad caps and resistors in the sweep PCB.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found out why that one 6GH8A made something smoke like it did, I really don't think the getter is supposed to upside down in there like that... it broke off!
Old 05-24-2023, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Those Standard Coil tuners always needed cleaning.
They used to sell a kit that had a special cleaner and lube, plus a foam pad that went on the cover with the lube. After a while, the pad deteriorated and cruded up the tuner more.
Can you post a video and/or more pictures showing how to disassemble a tuner and clean it?
Audiokarma
Old 05-24-2023, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

i did find what smoked.
http://suzaku.live-evil.org/smoke11.jpg

R164 went up in value R165 went down.

both replaced.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

One thing about the PCBs used in this maggie TV, they are much more dense / thick than the ones used in RCA, GE and others I have worked on in the past, example, previously I have been able to take my work light (halogen hand lamp) and point it at the top of the board, and see light through the PCB, along with the shadow of the offending component from the bottom side, but not with this Magnavox :O no light at all gets though the board!
Old 05-25-2023, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
i did find what smoked.
http://suzaku.live-evil.org/smoke11.jpg

R164 went up in value R165 went down.

both replaced.
The cause was a short in the tube that causes excessive cathode current?
Old 05-25-2023, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSimon View Post
The cause was a short in the tube that causes excessive cathode current?
Yes, the getter completely come off, stand and all, and was loose in the top, I had not not noticed it, was only on for about 30-40 sec, before i saw smoke and shut it off, resistors may have already been weak, not sure.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yes, the getter completely come off, stand and all, and was loose in the top, I had not not noticed it, was only on for about 30-40 sec, before i saw smoke and shut it off, resistors may have already been weak, not sure.
Are you sure that the metal getter didn't short the elements in the tube when it was flopping/flopped around? Short between elements might have caused the problem.
Audiokarma
Old 05-25-2023, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
Are you sure that the metal getter didn't short the elements in the tube when it was flopping/flopped around? Short between elements might have caused the problem.
I'm sure it did, but it was only on for 30-40 seconds with the bad tube, how fast do resistors fry?
There was also heat marks on the PCB under these 2 parts already, I suspect they were already on the way out, and putting in the bad tube did not help it! :P
Old 05-25-2023, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm sure it did, but it was only on for 30-40 seconds with the bad tube, how fast do resistors fry?
There was also heat marks on the PCB under these 2 parts already, I suspect they were already on the way out, and putting in the bad tube did not help it! :P
Half a minute is plenty long enough to fry resistors, given the right (wrong?) set of circumstances.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
One thing about the PCBs used in this maggie TV, they are much more dense / thick than the ones used in RCA, GE and others I have worked on in the past, example, previously I have been able to take my work light (halogen hand lamp) and point it at the top of the board, and see light through the PCB, along with the shadow of the offending component from the bottom side, but not with this Magnavox :O no light at all gets though the board!
I noticed that too. I like my T931’s build quality. 2000s solid state TVs have PCBs that are as thin as two sheets of paper.

The one thing I do not lile about the T931 (and the T933 as the same design) is that it doesn’t use DC reinsertion, but instead uses partial DC coupling of the DC bias from the video detector. This causes inconsistent black levels, especially for super bright scenes, which cause black crush.

I am tempted to add a diode clamper to make brightness more consistent between scenes.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, all the others in the area seem to check OK, it was most likely being fed by the big 4w resistor on the triode plate P1.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, the tuner was very dirty, it was a bitch to get out because of the silly front screw in system they use that you have some odd key to unscrew. >>>>

The screws with 2 holes come out with long needle noses. They also
used 2 sizes of inside out nuts. I saw everyone fighting them so called
Maggy FS to get part ##'s & ordered 2 sets. I told the techs if they lost them they will build stands for 60 days

BTW many sets had a 'lytic on the conv PCB, causes bad V lin. IIRC
this had it ?

Zeno
Audiokarma