Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFreak View Post
Wait, back up the train...somebody curbed an XBR800?? For the love of...

I lusted over those sets when they cost $4k new..I finally got one a few years ago on Craigslist. $240, clean, low hours, original remote. I'm still looking for the original SU-40XBR8 stand, and a replacement front control panel door/cover. I love this TV; probably the best I've ever owned...
Abt 5 yrs ago customer came in & wanted to dispose of a big Sony &
stand. Figured a 35". Boss told him $35 + $15 for the stand. A few
minutes later I look up & see a 40" XBR on the matching base.
It was hit by lightning. Asked the customer if he wanted us to
estimate it, he said no that he didnt want it, insurance paid
for it anyways. Usually lightning will destroy a modern set.
This time it was just the fuse................
A few phone calls & it was gone, $1500 cash & carry.

BTW when moving one of those beasts strap it to board.
Too much pressure on the bottom will cave it in. Happend to
a shop in my area. We sold a few of them & had a moving co.
put it in the room first then go set it up.

73 Zeno
Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I repaired my kitchen microwave. It's a 1988 Sharp unit with convection cooking, and a turntable. Replaced the magnatron and capacitor and diode for $66.

I guarantee that this unit will outlast any new model that I could have bought instead.

First and only repairs ever done, too. Now, back to our topic.
We have a Sharp unit like yours as well, ours is from 1985, we got it just after I graduated high school that year and it is still in use. My aunt gave us her 1999 Sony 35" trinitron in 2009 and it died a few months ago so we had to bring back the old 1982 Zenith System 3 (9-181 series) to frontline service. We were going to buy new flatscreen but I'm back looking for work and Mom is fighting breast cancer so the 1982 Zenith will have to do. Back to the microwave, if that unit goes and can't be fixed, we have a similar 1987 model on standby.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototone View Post
Well, there are several valid answers to that.

1. People want a wide-screen high definition TV to be able to view BluRay and High Definition cable, satellite and cable programming at its best.

2. People need a TV that will tune current over-the-air digital material.

3. People don't want to have to carry such heavy TV in for service, assuming there is local service still available.

4. People want a TV that can display 3-D content.
I do see your point on how heavy CRT sets are, especially above 25 inches, but still you can get great service with a few retrofits. The dead trinitron I have is a monster. My 1982 Zenith does Blu-Ray pretty well.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My 36" Trinitron is starting to get a LITTLE tired, the whites kinda cycle from bluish-greenish to pinkish, & it COULD be a little sharper, but being I'm an iconoclastic bastard, I'll hold out getting one of those infernal Video Display Devices-One HATES to dignify them by calling 'em "Televisions"-for as long as possible...
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01
IPeople are driven by the least expensive idea, and have been brainwashed...
Your right,they have been brainwashed........ TO THINK TRASH IS BETTER THAN ACTUAL BETTER THINGS THEY HAD BEFORE!!!
Audiokarma
Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
My 36" Trinitron is starting to get a LITTLE tired, the whites kinda cycle from bluish-greenish to pinkish, & it COULD be a little sharper, but being I'm an iconoclastic bastard, I'll hold out getting one of those infernal Video Display Devices-One HATES to dignify them by calling 'em "Televisions"-for as long as possible...

I've got a 27" Sony set that got hit by lightning when it was just out of warranty. The chassis was ruined. I stored the set in my garage for 21 years, until my 27" Sony EXR set CRT went weak. I swapped out the CRT's and now, I have a brand-new looking Sony that is 22 years old!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
We have a Sharp unit like yours as well, ours is from 1985, we got it just after I graduated high school that year and it is still in use. My aunt gave us her 1999 Sony 35" trinitron in 2009 and it died a few months ago so we had to bring back the old 1982 Zenith System 3 (9-181 series) to frontline service. We were going to buy new flatscreen but I'm back looking for work and Mom is fighting breast cancer so the 1982 Zenith will have to do. Back to the microwave, if that unit goes and can't be fixed, we have a similar 1987 model on standby.
NowhereMan 1966:

I'm very sorry to hear that your mother is ill. I hope she gets well soon. I've always enjoyed reading your posts, especially the ones about your 1982 Zenith TV.

We had a Sharp microwave that was purchased new in 1986. It was a great unit, but my mother gave it away to my aunt when she needed a microwave after her old one quit working properly. We bought a new one to replace the Sharp, and a couple of others along the way - all of which have had significant problems. I wish we had held on to that 1986 Sharp.

Last edited by classictv80s; 05-24-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
The lead ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
I've got a 27" Sony set that got hit by lightning when it was just out of warranty. The chassis was ruined. I stored the set in my garage for 21 years, until my 27" Sony EXR set CRT went weak. I swapped out the CRT's and now, I have a brand-new looking Sony that is 22 years old!
Interesting. How old are the sets themsevles?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
Interesting. How old are the sets themsevles?
The EXR set was built in 1991, and the lightning damaged set was built in 1993. The two CRT's just happened to be identical... right down to the yokes. I swapped them out, and only had to lightly touch up the convergence. Looking good!!
Old 05-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice!!

Im proud of you for not getting rid of the 1993 unit!!!

I hope ya have many more fine years with that sony bud
Audiokarma
Old 05-25-2013, 09:59 AM
electronics packrat

My CTC-15 was a curbside find. It has worked fine for 6 years now. All I needed to do when I got it was clean the cabinet up a bit.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Excellent....... I hope she continues to shine
Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 PM
creepingnet

The only reason I did not take the rear projection Big Screen my neighbor was giving away years ago was because I could not play static screen video games on it (Tetris, Pac-Man, Pong....the like).

I'm finding, the older I get, the less I want to replace the stuff I have. I spent all of my 20's living off of people's "old junk" that was often 15+ years old and still worked like new (My Mitsubishi CS1984R 20"console and my portable Daytron Dt-505 B&W set being two of them), all of that "old junk" still works and functions (well...except the Mistu, but I'm fixing that). When I go out to buy something new, I always look it over for build quality, and 9 times out of 10, it NEVER passes. Either the plastic is too weak, or I find out it develops a problem after awhile due to poor design choices, or that I can already grab one at Goodwill used for $10.00.

People tend to also throw away things with minor to practically pointless problems. I found an Epiphone Les Paul guitar in the trash! All that was wrong with it? A hole between the volume and tone controls with a rock glued onto it.....that and someone poured beer down the body. My friend was about to chuck his 3.5HP Craftsman mower as goodwill would not take it, I got it and found all was wrong was the carburetor jet was clogged with varnished gas. Just tore down a quarter of a lot full of 2 foot tall foilage with it yesterday. It feels sometimes that I could live comfortably posession-wise from dumpster diving and thrift shops.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
The lead ear.

I've always wondered why you couldn't play video games on a CRT projection set when a regular CRT was apparantly ok.

I use to find great dumpster stuff all the time, but not so much these days.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:43 PM
creepingnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
I've always wondered why you couldn't play video games on a CRT projection set when a regular CRT was apparantly ok.
It's because the picture tubes in a rear projection TV require a much more powerful electron beam than on a standard TV from what I understand.

A friend of mine has a horror story about the time they hooked up the 8-bit Nintendo to a Projection Big Screen and got in big trouble with daddy because the Super Mario Bros. scoreboard was permanently etched into the top and totally visible during the Superbowl right after.
Audiokarma