Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

45 series magnavox roundie

question for you guys that have worked on these back in the day.

I was doing some reading and came across a discussion about the correct way to setup the G2 and bias on these. this is a bit different than what I have seen before (the book mentions this as well being diffferent that is).

Service position

bias fully CCW
screens fully CCW
blue and greeen fully CW
contrast midway
brightness fully CCW

adj screens for just visable line if any gun fails to produce turn up the BRIGHTNESS (normally this is where the bias control is used, at least from most sams I read) until the missing color can produce the line, set the others to same level.
return serv switch to normal

turn up brightness all the way, now turn up bias until screen just begins to bloom.
adj Blue and green for proper B&W in light areas
touch up screen drives as required for dark areas

well thats it, the difference is in the use of the bias only after everything else is done, to the point of using it to increase the brighness to the max, which I have read it NOT how the bias is to be used, but rather only if a line can not be made in the setup mode.

I got this from a book "TV trouble shooters handbook" that deals with specific issues by Make and model number.

Last edited by DaveWM; 06-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

This is the correct procedure for Magnavox, and it is the only way you will achieve proper results.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

something new I have noticed, when 1st turned on I get a mostly green screen, 15 sec later the screen is all correct. I assume its just the green gun is stronger than the others. I suppose I could try it on another CRT and see if it does the same thing. or maybe just use the CRT tester note the full emissions time on each gun after allowing it to cool off between test.