Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

1960's RCA Vista Color Console

No affiliation - Pretty cool (for someone near California)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIntage-1960s-RC...item3f0005b38b
Old 05-23-2010, 07:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Entertainment Center

Talk about local pickup only! Those things weighed a ton! They were nice though, had neighbors with one one time. There were many family squabbles around who would watch TV, listen to the phono or the radio and when.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:08 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear2k View Post
No affiliation - Pretty cool (for someone near California)...
And with a lot of room (and money, if they are anyplace outside California or, within the state, even any distance from the seller, since the Los Angeles area is huge -- on a par with New York or Chicago). This console is very large and heavy; if anyone outside the L.A. area or nearby states, or even on the opposite coast (!) wants it they are going to have to pay dearly in shipping charges, unless they are willing to drive out to California with a large truck to pick it up. If they choose the latter they will pay a fortune just for gasoline, as it has gone past $2 a gallon in many parts of the US (at a local gas station here in my town, it is $2.69), and most trucks are not very fuel-efficient.

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. If I wanted a TV this big (and had the room for it, which I don't), I'd wait until I saw one on eBay or CL within, at most, 20 or thirty miles of where I live. I would not risk having a set that size shipped 3000 miles; too much risk of it arriving with a smashed CRT or worse. I have a Zenith MJ1035 radio that was sent to me by a VK member about three years ago. The man lives in Arizona and had shipped the radio to me via UPS. Well, when the radio arrived here, it worked, but two controls had broken loose from their mountings on the chassis. I later found out that the radio had been thrown around, maybe kicked across floors, etc. in various UPS terminals between the Phoenix area and my apartment near Cleveland.

Personally, I am amazed the radio worked at all when it finally arrived here. However, later on, when I read (online, via email between the person I got it from and myself) the horror stories of all the mishandling it suffered along the way, I began to have second thoughts about shipping anything via UPS any appreciable distance. If UPS can damage a radio through manhandling, I hate to think what could happen with a console television as big as the RCA being discussed here. I would hate to think of anyone any distance from the seller (meaning 500 miles or more) spending a lot on shipping charges, etc. only to have the set arrive with a broken CRT or worse. Sellers of anything this large and/or fragile almost always insure the item before shipping, but it is still a bad feeling to have something you won in an eBay auction or bought on CL arrive at your door smashed to bits because of carelessness on the part of the seller, shipper or both.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:19 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozey45 View Post
Talk about local pickup only! Those things weighed a ton! They were nice though, had neighbors with one one time. There were many family squabbles around who would watch TV, listen to the phono or the radio and when.
That's interesting. Was this the only TV or phonograph the family had? Most people today have at least two TVs in the house, and as for music, most kids have their own iPods, mp3 players, stereo systems, etc. so there should be no arguments over who will watch what on TV, etc.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

back in the day there was generally only one TV and one (if any) hi fi equipment. Of course we spent little time at home anyway, outside playing ball, getting into trouble etc...

some fun stuff

tie a wallet to a fishing line, put in street yank out as car stops to pick up (best done at night)

play war (anytime deserted orange fields were best)

hang out in the underground camp (dig seriers of trenches, cover wood and dirt, bring in decorate posters and use flash lights)

Sneak into drive in movies in the trunk of a car

hassle the guard (long story, lived in a hood that had one entrace with a private security guard, involves donning a monkey suit costume).

The only hi fi we had was car stereos just not much time hanging out in the house. Not like today, kids never seem to go out much and with all the goodies in the house I can understand why.
Audiokarma
Old 05-24-2010, 01:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
they will pay a fortune just for gasoline, as it has gone past $2 a gallon in many parts of the US (at a local gas station here in my town, it is $2.69), and most trucks are not very fuel-efficient.
Wow. I paid $3.03 a gallon here in Seattle area.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Too bad the Plymouth won't run on crude - I could drive a few miles from home and scoop up all my heart desires...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
back in the day there was generally only one TV and one (if any) hi fi equipment. Of course we spent little time at home anyway, outside playing ball, getting into trouble etc...

some fun stuff

tie a wallet to a fishing line, put in street yank out as car stops to pick up (best done at night)

play war (anytime deserted orange fields were best)

hang out in the underground camp (dig seriers of trenches, cover wood and dirt, bring in decorate posters and use flash lights)

Sneak into drive in movies in the trunk of a car

hassle the guard (long story, lived in a hood that had one entrace with a private security guard, involves donning a monkey suit costume).

The only hi fi we had was car stereos just not much time hanging out in the house. Not like today, kids never seem to go out much and with all the goodies in the house I can understand why.
yes the great old days hot outside but we had a great time...... steve
Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

It was hot here today, and yes the good ole days when you had to gettup off your fat can and turn the channel by hand. But my can wasnt fat back then,I rode bikes on family property from Sun up to sundown and weighed 123 lbs until I was 23, today I cant even get on a bike LOL to ride it would be instant heart attack, and the good thing is I now own the family property but none of the original tv's that were here.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

To Jeffhs re: color console

This was the early 1960's and that was the only TV in the house. The son who was a friend of mine did have his own phonograph and radio but when mom and dad wanted to listen to records or the radio on the console that meant no TV. The console had FM stereo (relatively new then in a lot of areas) and the father was a big fan of that. Two TV houses were not that common at that time. Maybe we were better off then.
Audiokarma
Old 05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
Too bad the Plymouth won't run on crude - I could drive a few miles from home and scoop up all my heart desires...
You only need to boil it, then collect the condensate. Sort of like moonshine.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

solid state??? for real? looks like a ctc16 to me. its exactly the same as my 17 in the front except round. im thinking about it......
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Mark

Only the stereo is SS, the tv is all tube.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

My ctc17 combo has exactly the same tuner and tv mask. Only the amp is solid state. The tv and tuner are all tube.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

A monster! It is virtually theft proof though. When I was in high school, I worked at a TV shop and remember picking those up and putting them in the Ford Econoline mid engine van! It was a riot!
If I remember, that stereo section is germanium transistors. Lots of dried out electrolytics in amplifier and tuner sections.
Once done, it can be a good performer.
Audiokarma