Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Time for a change. The CTC20 began exhibiting a vertical issue along with its funky shaky video with color. Voltages on the 6GH8s are close enough that I suspect the video detector is possibly bad. This could really lead down along road to get this set right before daring to assemble it.

Attachment 201904

I unplugged everything and put the CTC16X chassis up, plugging in all the tubes and powering up from 70-100 volts over an hour.

The difference in CTC16 and 20 chassis is remarkable.
:O
That setup looks like something out of the movie Brazil!
Old 12-08-2020, 04:17 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
:O
That setup looks like something out of the movie Brazil!
I remember that movie, the elevator buttons were quite amusing and confusing.

That CRT is my test jig. Precisely what us gluttons for RCA punishment make from a decent CRT and 3/4" plywood or a junk cabinet. I painted mine black.

But I did that only after failing to get one of those RCA 21FJP22 https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_11..._test_jig.html (blue hammertone finish). I placed a $100 bid on one at a clean-out sale 7 yrs ago for a shop, but it must have sold for more

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 12-08-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:31 PM
Motorola Minion

Before I get into it tonight, I should confirm that a silicon signal diode will sub for a germanium diode in a video detector or sound detector application.

I'm pretty sure that diode is causing the effect seen here, not unlike the CTC20's issue.
1966-RCA-CTC16XL.jpg

I never used to see these fail but HW Sams will point it out like a tube, LV, boost or focus rectifier.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:48 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:

That CRT is my test jig. Precisely what us gluttons for RCA punishment make from a decent CRT and 3/4" plywood or a junk cabinet. I painted mine black.

But I did that only after failing to get one of those RCA 21FJP22 https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_11..._test_jig.html (blue hammertone finish). I placed a $100 bid on one at a clean-out sale 7 yrs ago for a shop, but it must have sold for more
The later 19" rectangular jigs will work on roundy with the right adapters.

I have one but on sets like my Packard Bell roundys where the CRT mounting bracket makes it into its own test jig I take the path of least resistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201208_164214021.jpg (58.8 KB, 67 views)

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-08-2020, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

I meant the way TVs and monitors we all open and deconstructed in the movie, often with a magnifying lens in front of them they were really vintage sets, i saw that right away .
Audiokarma
Old 12-08-2020, 06:47 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
I meant the way TVs and monitors we all open and deconstructed in the movie, often with a magnifying lens in front of them they were really vintage sets, i saw that right away .
I know that movie only from cable, which I last had 32 years ago while in BSET school in suburban D.C. This was also when I had the 78 Magnavox Touch-Tune T995 (3rd run) I invested a new Maggy-Chrome 25VCX CRT in, the household was Monty Python fans already, it was repeated by HBO or something weekly, "Brazil" appealed to any random drop-in guests. I need to watch it again to gain the new perspective on the deconstruction.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:55 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The later 19" rectangular jigs will work on roundy with the right adapters.

I have one but on sets like my Packard Bell roundys where the CRT mounting bracket makes it into its own test jig I take the path of least resistance.
I know a Check-A Color by Sylvania seemed to be the go-to jig at some places, not sure if it was backward compatible on a 21" yoke, etc without pincushion.

Only my first employer at a GE-Mag dealer had a 21" jig, which I have a picture of him standing under. Its framed on my bench. The last round CRT he pulled a chassis on was a '65 Magnavox U450, no more GE 21" CW-CX-FY-CA-CB21 sets were on the service roster by 1979 We Just saw KC-KD-KE-KEII and later awful portacolor-inspired C1-L2 hybrids until SS models MA-MB gave some hope for GE, which my transistor/module-wary boss referred to another shop.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 12-08-2020 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I know that movie only from cable, which I last had 32 years ago while in BSET school in suburban D.C. This was also when I had the 78 Magnavox Touch-Tune T995 (3rd run) I invested a new Maggy-Chrome 25VCX CRT in, the household was Monty Python fans already, it was repeated by HBO or something weekly, "Brazil" appealed to any random drop-in guests. I need to watch it again to gain the new perspective on the deconstruction.
MY favorite bit from the movie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B61_5sRoBI
Old 12-09-2020, 08:32 AM
Motorola Minion

Karlstat GG721W

1966-RCA-GG721w.jpg

RCA-CTC16XL.jpg
Old 12-09-2020, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Who would have ever thought that people like us would be keeping these sets going after all of these years?

Nice...
Audiokarma
Old 12-09-2020, 10:06 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
MY favorite bit from the movie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B61_5sRoBI
A/C repairmen - hahahah - forgot the 27B/6 form!!!
Old 12-09-2020, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
Who would have ever thought that people like us would be keeping these sets going after all of these years?

Nice...
A lot of that equipment was only designed to last 10 years or so.
I understand that manufacturers were only required to furnish service parts for 7 years, one most products.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:45 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
A lot of that equipment was only designed to last 10 years or so.
I understand that manufacturers were only required to furnish service parts for 7 years, one most products.
I'm still amazed I fired up two of RCA 21's original fly's without much issue. Of course I cleaned off the sticky slime first using spray-9.

I just wish I had known 40+ years ago, what I could have saved....we were SO sure even way back then all parts for a 10+ TV were unobtanium.

The jobber in our area sold OEM RCA parts along with Sylvania tubes (like Moyer's still does), yet they always shoo'ed me away saying old parts were on back order, I don't stock that...etc.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:17 AM
Motorola Minion

16x update: Germanium diodes video and sound detectors tested good, that is 0.3volts fwd drop and no reverse current.

The HV is behaving, providing proper focus yet strangely low cathode current of 128 ma.(normal is 195 per std info). H-drive amplitude possibly affected by sync issue?

The CTC16x locks in very barely horizontally, using crosshatch or color bars it appears the first video is weak going to the 6KA8 so the scope is needed. You just know its not a tube, either
Old 12-10-2020, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
16x update: Germanium diodes video and sound detectors tested good, that is 0.3volts fwd drop and no reverse current.

The HV is behaving, providing proper focus yet strangely low cathode current of 128 ma.(normal is 195 per std info). H-drive amplitude possibly affected by sync issue?

The CTC16x locks in very barely horizontally, using crosshatch or color bars it appears the first video is weak going to the 6KA8 so the scope is needed. You just know its not a tube, either
I had to replace the 40uf cap (C1c) in mine, before AGC/SYNC would behave.
Audiokarma