Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Xsistor Newbie

Hi guys
I mostly enjoy working on the tube stuff but a friend gave me a little Motorola transistor radio. It a cute little guy and it almost works. It's got audio and oscillates as you tune it.But won't tune in any stations. Would like to get a copy of the Sam's for. The model is X14R. Looks to be from the early '60's. The Sam's is #509-14. If someone could make a copy that would be great!
It's in pretty good shape. case has no cracks or chips but the speaker grill is dented up a bit and there is a bit of rust on the back on the little metal leg. Think I can flatten out the grill and get it looking good again.
Tnx for any help
Terry
Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Lots of times the electrolytics are dried out and need replaced; then it should come back.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are the germanium it this set replaceable with the modern silicon jobs? Just curious.
Terry
Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7"estatdef View Post
Are the germanium it this set replaceable with the modern silicon jobs?
As the base-emitter voltage drop is around 300mV vs 700mV for silicon, it may not work. But usually what causes the symptons you mentioned are dried out defective electroytic caps, often the AVC filter going bad will make the set oscillate. As it no longer bypasses RF to ground. Transistors don't usually go bad, especially the ones in little metal cans with glass around the leads.

Be careful when soldering on those old circuit boards, the glue that holds the copper traces will easily give up and let it get loose.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Motorola X14R

Being a xsistor newbie I follow the suggestions of the guys here but didn't fix the set completely. It was making audio when I got it (hiss) Replaced the caps and I still had hiss but no signal. After a close inspection I found that two of the leads from the loop ant had been disconnected. After repairing those leads I was in business.
This set uses the 226 battery which hasn't been make for a number of years. It looks like a C cell but it's 9v and has a snap connector at each end. I changed the connector to use a standard 9v battery but it's a bit of a tight fit and it was causing the bottom of the case to crack a bit. I think it was already cracked just from the weight of the 226 cell and handling of the set. Anyway I wanted the relieve the stress on the plastic case. So I used a pair of vise grips and crushed the new 9v battery so it fits with a little clearance on each side. The battery doesn't seem any worst for the wear, works fine. Not very elegant but does the trick.
Terry
Audiokarma
Old 11-21-2011, 12:02 PM
M is for Memory

There are ways of getting of making smaller 9V batteries. The folks at batteries plus were going to make a new battery for my 67' Admiral ultrasonic TV remote, but then found a compatible type in stock somewhere.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know that Batterymaker makes a replacement for the 226 but he uses those little watch style cells. I was thinking that they would have much current. I'm also a bit of an utilitarian in that I don't really care what battery is in there as long as it works well and doesn't cost $20 a pop.
Darn thing plays really well! good and loud and with low distortion. Am very happy with it.
Terry
ps I found another one it's turquoise. Very sharp looking!
Old 11-25-2011, 10:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Started to multiply

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5371052...in/photostream

Terry
Old 11-26-2011, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very Nice!!

Buzz