Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:07 AM
M is for Memory

CT-100 & CTC-4 knob questions

I acquired a lot of TV knobs recently, that had what appeared to have an RCA CTC-4 tuning knob...When I checked it a few minutes ago my mind was blown when I discovered that I had the entire tuning knob trio in that lot! I did have the UHF scale/fine tune pair before this, but my UHF scale was crappy.

I wanted to see if that lot had the brightness knob from concentric volume brightness pair but I can't find the brightness knob that was on my set. Does anyone have some good pictures of those two preferably for a blond set?

Also is this portion of a tuning knob part of a CT-100 tuning knob?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Bob Galanter

Tom,

For a Blonde CTC4 set the tuning and contrast knobs are sort of a biege color. The knobs you show are for a mahogany set. The on/off volume knob will be painted in the center with the same biege color.

Yes, the channel indicator part is appropriate for a CT100. There were also B&W sets using a B&W version of the ct100 tuner, using the same knob set. ON the CT100 there is a brass center cover, on the chanel indicator and in the B&W version there is a plastic cover piece with some sort of colored logo.

Sometime in the next 12 months I will be rebuilding a CTC4 Cheltenham in natural pine finish. It uses the blonde knob set too. I do not have a correct channel tuning CTC4 knob in blonde, but I have a blonde one from a B&W set. I am going to remove the blonde outer ring and transplant it to the inner portion of a correct CTC4 tuning knob. IN the end I will have a blonde ctc4 tuning knob.

The UHF channel indicator ring for a blonde set is also a different color. ON a Mahogany set the background is brown, on a blonde set the background color is a dark silver gray. If you are doing a blonde set the only knob you have that is correct is the fine tuning knob with the brass metal outer ring.

The blonde knobs are rather difficult to come by and you have to be careful because there are channel tuning and UHF indicators that go on B&W sets, which look the same at first glance, but they are not correct for a CTC4 because the tuner in the B&W set is mounted 90 degrees rotated from the position of the CTC4 tuner in the ctc4, and the keyways for those knobs are different due to the rotated position of the B&W tuner.

The volume knob has a bakelite body with a full brass outer shell covering it. The center of the brass cover is painted either brown or biege. There was one on ebay for a long time, but I guess it sold. The price was $29.95. I have a couple of correct ON/Off knobs for mahagony, which you could paint biege if you are interested in buying one.

BTW: If you ever need a knob, stop by Bob's Bunker and search through the roughly 20,000 old knobs I have in my inventory.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com

Last edited by ohohyodafarted; 07-14-2015 at 02:12 PM.