Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Looking For Time

Made a bit more progress to the set today. The original safety glass in front of the CRT face had developed spots between the layers of glass. I had a local glass shop custom cut me a new piece of safety glass for the set. I also had the paint color matched in a small sample sized can of paint. I purchased a paint sprayer for the paint, and finally I had a local decal shop print off a paint mask for the CRT "window."

After 4 coats of paint the mask looks pretty solid. I had to use an X-Acto knife to cut around the edge of the decal to release the paint. After some clean up with the knife the reproduction part looks really good.

The color is off by just a slight bit, but you would have to have an original bezel side by side to notice at all.
With this fix the "top half" of the set is complete. I only have a few repairs to the television chassis to go and I can share complete pictures and call the set finished.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Looking For Time

I managed to finish the TRK-5 (for now). The last two steps were replacing two of the capacitors with originals (thank you to Steve McVoy for these), and replacing the fine tuning shaft (thank you to Darryl for help with this). I had a fine tuning shaft retooled from a solid piece of brass. I thought about "aging" the shaft to make it look like the other shafts on the set, but I decided I have lots of time and I'll let the piece age gracefully. I put the whole set back together tonight and I can finally share pictures of the whole set with all of you.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Looking For Time

I also managed to find an original advertisement for the TRK-5 from 1939 that I had framed to hang above the set. I think it makes a nice touch.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

That set looks fantastic.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fantastic John!
Audiokarma
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great job john, if you squink your eyes when you look at the last two pictures of the set it looks like its smiling.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rld-tv01 View Post
Great job john, if you squink your eyes when you look at the last two pictures of the set it looks like its smiling.
If you turn the camera around to see my face, I am smiling along with it.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very nicely done. Looks great!

It looks like the ratio of electronic circuitry volume to display size has now swung entirely the opposite direction... to the detriment of repairability, though.

Chip
Old 12-16-2017, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was looking for chassis pics on the trk5, but all of the links are broken, I had the same problem on Audiokarma, it took me a while to fix them all when Photobucket became greedy.