Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2015, 06:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Resistor or jumper at hv rectifer socket: Zenith 25mc30

I am replacing an arched out HV rectifier socket in my Zenith 5111. The rectifier is a 3AT2. The 1.5K Ohm resistor that once resided there across pins 5 and 9 was burned in two. A very kind gentleman and member pulled a socket assembly for me from a chassis 1 year newer in which no resistor was used. This could be from a prior repair or by a change in design.

In another thread I have questioned what this series resistor actually is doing in the circuit, but with that not being the primary topic I never found out. Someone with a lot of experience in TV repair from that period said that this resistor was known to burn up and that techs often simply jumped over it. I am thinking that it may be a bleeder resistor, but it's only speculation. That would at least explain it not being essential in the circuit for operation.

I have a 1.2K Ohm 2W on the way. Easy enough to pop in just for safety and security. However, the jumper is already in place in the part coming and I am going to be working in very cramped space. So if anyone has any specific information as to the need or lack thereof as well as function of this resistor, it would be greatly appreciated. I may even need to find the correct 1.5K if it were to be a matter of critical voltages or current being spot on, but so far the information given to me speaks that this will not be an issue.

Thanks

Tube