Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Motorola Minion

Bill,
Welcome to VK. There is no shortage of wisdom and support here on these wonderful sets!
That sure is a sweet one! I have the blond version of that set model 212G837MV. It was named the "Wakely".
A quarter century ago I worked for a Zenith store in Allentown. I rescued one just like yours that was traded by a little old lady (for a new System3) who barely used it. We had it in the bedroom of our apartment in case there were two things on cable we wanted to see.
I could not take it when I moved....the rest is history.

One of my big regrets to let that go, then in '86, I got a second chance. I will keep this one forever!!! I also have a CTC12 in a blonde french provincial cabinet, named the "Burgoyne", it even has a UHF tuner, but needs restored.

Dave 63
Old 09-02-2011, 11:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a CTC 11 21CD435 What is the name of this one ???
Old 09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
I have a CTC 11 21CD435 What is the name of this one ???
Possibly you have a 211CD435, as I don't see a CTC 11 model 21CD435 listed?

Anyhow, the 211CD435 doesn't have a name attached to it in the RCA field service guide. There apparently were a whole bunch of sets that didn't get names. I'm not sure what the story is on these.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Possibly you have a 211CD435, as I don't see a CTC 11 model 21CD435 listed?

Anyhow, the 211CD435 doesn't have a name attached to it in the RCA field service guide. There apparently were a whole bunch of sets that didn't get names. I'm not sure what the story is on these.
Kevin, Thanks for the response.. I see My cabinet on the forums, it goes to the floor - no legs. It has the New Vista - Color but a differant fram around the Tube with dark gray safety glass. Did they have a early-late 1962 units ?
Do You have a user manual ?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Convergence freak!

Hey welcome to VK! Great people here, never met a nicer bunch. Thats a beautiful 11 you have. That CRT is clean too!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
Did they have a early-late 1962 units ?
Do You have a user manual ?
All I have is the 1955-1966 Field Service Guide. That covers the CTC-2 through CTC-20 service info. But there’s not really any model number-dating info in it. I'm assuming most 11's were made in 1961, but I'm not sure. Possibly the serial numbers have encrypted date code, but I've never heard of anyone explaining the numbering system.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
All I have is the 1955-1966 Field Service Guide. That covers the CTC-2 through CTC-20 service info. But there’s not really any model number-dating info in it. I'm assuming most 11's were made in 1961, but I'm not sure. Possibly the serial numbers have encrypted date code, but I've never heard of anyone explaining the numbering system.
I believe the RCA CTC-11 was produced for the 1962 model year. Most models had the 21FJ bonded safety glass tube and others had the 21FB separate safety glass. Both had the newly introduced all-sulphide tube. This may explain the difference in the masks.
The numbers contain info on model type, cabinet finish & style, additional features, chassis production changes, date codes, some info for the bean counters and on & on.

-Steve D,
Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Workin' Late Again

Thanks, Steve.

Is it possible a new model year was available for sales before the actual first of the new year?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Thanks, Steve.

Is it possible a new model year was available for sales before the actual first of the new year?
Hey Kevin,

Like new cars, new model tv's were available, usually, in the fall of the previous year. Sometimes even earlier. The model year for the CTC-11 may have been from late 1961 to late 1962 when the CTC-12 models were introduced. The marketing dept. would plan new model intros. in time for the Christmas season. Or place new model year RCA tie-in ads for NBC color specials or the World Series ect. Also, slow moving models may be dropped from production and new models come on line anytime. RCA also had lots of unsold CTC-10's in dealer's inventory, so the timing of introduction of new models was tricky. Selling color sets in the 50's & early 60's was risky business.

-Steve D.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Workin' Late Again

Interesting.

I had a conversation with an older fellow who insisted he'd bought a CTC-10 set for his mom during Christmas leave from the service, 1958. I assured him it could not have happened that way (that went over well). Anyhow, I'd have to guess his remembrance was off by one year. My experience has been that most people do tend to error a few years further back than actual.
Audiokarma
Old 09-07-2011, 02:22 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

A year or more, if model years overlapped it's possible the CTC-10 came out later in the same year as my CTC-9 ('59).