Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-21-2005, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sylvania CK3000 Test Rig / Roundie -- Test Setup

I have an old Sylvania CK3000 "chek-a-color" test rig, bag of adaptors, and a sales brochure. The unit will support "roundie" color sets with the A-112 (CRT Adaptor), A-113 (Yoke Adaptor), B-207 (Yoke Extension), B-230 (CRT Extension) plus one each of the YP-X (Yoke Programmer) and CVL-X (Convergence Ballast) plugs. I've got all the standard adaptors and YP/CVL plugs plus some of the later-model rectangular-tube plugs/cords, but no Setup Maual or User's Guide. The sales brochure says that the B-230 with the A-112 adaptor and B-207 with A-113 are designed for 70-degree color tube applications, but there's no cross-reference of which YP and CVL adaptor is to be used with which make and model of color chassis. Anyone have the manuals available? I'm still around, doing restorations part-time as a hobby/second job. I'm back in the telecom industry, working administration at an "inbound" (customer service / tech support) call center full-time.

Last edited by jshorva65; 08-21-2005 at 10:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2005, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Could we leave the male Chauvinism out please...some of us men do all of the housework plus multiple jobs.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

It seems that some people missed the point of the comments I had made about why I've only been working part-time with vintage electronics lately.

It took me about two years to get through the "very dark night" that I was told by another widower would come after Jan's sudden passing. Now, I'm dealing with the inevitable bumps in the road that come with a new relationship. I'm among some old friends in my telecom job, though. Basically, this place is like a reunion of displaced MCI customer service reps. Most of us are in Administration now, though.

Getting back on topic, I'll be checking with several sources to find some setup documentation for the CK3000 and will share some of the most useful information here. Anyone else who might happen to find a CK3000 with all its standard cables could easily use it to speed up the restorations of their roundie sets if we posted which YP and CVL adaptors would fit CTC-7, 24MC32, etc. It will be a good teaching tool when my son is ready to explore the more complex circuitry of television sets. He's doing nicely with radio, hi-fi and music gear.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

For the CTC 7 chassis here is the setup:
YP12
A-112 with B207 yoke extension
direct convergence adapter
CVL1 ballast
A113 with B230 CRT extension

For the 24MC32 use the following setup:
YP12 yoke programmer
A112 with B207 yoke extension
C319 or CC19 convergence adapter
CVL1 ballast
A113 with the B230 CRT extension

The RCA setup will be the same for the 7,9,10,11,12,15,16, and 20 chassis.
The Zenith setup will be the same for the 24mc32, 24mc42, 24nc31, 25lc20, 25lc30, 25mc30, 25mc33, 25mc43, 25mc70, 26kc20, 27kc20, 29jc20 Chassis.

Hope this helps,
Bill R.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank you for the setup info. I'll review the schematics of the Admiral and Philco chassis I'm currently servicing and determine whether their similarity to RCA's design would indicate that their setup is similar to that of RCA. I suspect that Sylvania might be similar to RCA as well. If I'm not mistaken, almost everyone EXCEPT for Zenith was manufacturing sets whose circuitry was almost identical to RCA's designs under license from RCA subsidiary "Hazeltine Corp." from about 1958-1968.
Audiokarma
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you post the chassis number I have the setup guide and can post the information.
The Philco will likely be the same I don't know about the Admiral.

Bill R
Old 08-25-2005, 08:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks. The Philco chassis is 16M91 and the Admiral is a 26UH6.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

The setup guide does not list the Philco or Admiral chassis numbers. I suspect the Philco is a CTC15 clone, and would use the RCA setup. That Admiral is likely also a clone of one of the RCA chassis.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

With many thanks to Ray, who posted the entire setup manual in reply to a USENET message I posted some time ago, I'll pass along the URL for the location of the manual. I just used the CK3000 to check out another roundie chassis (Admiral 25UH-series) which had an intermittent issue with color sync. The CK3000 allows much more systematic probing, tapping, and prodding to pin down touchy intermittents than would be possible with the chassis inside the cabinet.

Here's the URL posted by Ray on USENET ... http://staff.washington.edu/rrcc/uwweb/CK3000/
Old 06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I have the setup manuals for that unit, which I would be happy to send copies of. Fax for free, or I can Xerox a set of hard copies by mail for $5 Prio Flatrate envelope. If you would like, PM me and I'll get them to you.

Charles
Old 06-02-2008, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

here is the skinny...

YP12 is the correct yoke programmer for ANY tube type color set. It sets the yoke up for series wired, 12mHY inductance.

The convergence load is almost ALWAYS a 150 ohm resistor from the cathode of the vertical output tube to ground. Use a 5 watt resistor and a couple of clip leads. This will replace the CVL.

The horizontal yoke leads come out of the jig on pins 4&6 of the octal plug. Vertical is pins 1&2, with a jumper between 7&8. Use an octal socket and some leads with alligator clips or flat slip connectors on the ends to make up a yoke adaptor.

With the above information, you will be able to make any adaptor for any tube chassis to hook up to this jig.

I have the pinouts to make adaptors for the CTC 4&5 chassis, as well as later tube chassis, so let me know if you need them, and I'll post here. All you will need to do is find a plug that mates with your yoke socket, or a good improvisation.

BTW...Older Sylvania, Telematic, RCA, and Dowd jigs are the same.

I hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Hi-

I just picked up a Sylvania CK3000 test jig, complete with manuals and a bunch of adapters and the extension cables, etc. Even though I have decades of experience with electronics and restoration, this will be my first time working with a jig. I have a couple of questions for you experienced users:

-My A112 yoke adapter is an octal socket with four 1/4" male blade terminals. Is that what it should be? The setup for RCA roundie sets (CTC-7 to -16) does not describe anything like what yoke pins to connect on the chassis, etc.

-Regarding convergence connections, is the idea that you hang the CVL ballast onto the chassis instead of actually having any convergence connections to the jig? In that case, since the ballasts are octal plugs, do the RCA sets have octal sockets for their convergence yokes? (I have a CTC-5 that uses an octal socket for its deflection output and an odd connector for the convergence, and a CTC-16 that I have not yet opened to look at its connector types.)

TV Engineer-

I would like your CTC-4 and CTC-5 diagrams if you can post them, thanks. If the convergence hookup is as simple as you mentioned above, this jig should work OK on those models, too.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 07-30-2009, 11:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Engineer View Post
YP12 is the correct yoke programmer for ANY tube type color set. It sets the yoke up for series wired, 12mHY inductance.

The convergence load is almost ALWAYS a 150 ohm resistor from the cathode of the vertical output tube to ground. Use a 5 watt resistor and a couple of clip leads. This will replace the CVL.

The horizontal yoke leads come out of the jig on pins 4&6 of the octal plug. Vertical is pins 1&2, with a jumper between 7&8. Use an octal socket and some leads with alligator clips or flat slip connectors on the ends to make up a yoke adaptor.

With the above information, you will be able to make any adaptor for any tube chassis to hook up to this jig.

I have the pinouts to make adaptors for the CTC 4&5 chassis, as well as later tube chassis, so let me know if you need them, and I'll post here. All you will need to do is find a plug that mates with your yoke socket, or a good improvisation.

BTW...Older Sylvania, Telematic, RCA, and Dowd jigs are the same.

I hope this helps!
Thank you for this extremely useful information! The problem of interfacing my CK3000 to a chassis for a Sylvania 31C304M that I'll be restoring soon seems to have a solution now.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Mark

The ironic part is that it's so hard to hook a Sylvania rig to a Sylvania chassis. Glad you finally got a possible solution.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
The ironic part is that it's so hard to hook a Sylvania rig to a Sylvania chassis. Glad you finally got a possible solution.
Lack of direct test rig support for most of the earliest color chassis designs is quite common, and that is especially true of sets using tubes older than all-glass 21" types like the 21CYP22, 21FBP22, and subsequent types.

Now that the solution to interfacing with sets from the era of the 21AXP22 is solved, I'm left wondering if some means of interfacing to sets using a 15GP22 or 15HP22 could be developed almost as easily. Perhaps a 20-pin base from an otherwise-unsalvageable 15G could be paired with a CRT socket from a junked "nothing special" Rectangular set and a set of inline resistive networks (values in the tens or hundreds of megohms, I would guess) to terminate the convergence electrode circuits? What would be the effect on chassis operation of leaving those convergence pins unconnected?
Audiokarma