Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-23-2003, 02:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

This question is a little strange...

...but I hope someone has a solution for this.

I've tried to get a copy of the SAMS Photofact for the CTC-5 that I recently acquired, and went through their website to try to attempt to locate the proper folder number, but what they sent me (although it **is** the one that's listed in their online system) does not list my CT-8785 as one of the sets that is covered by this particular document.

The one they sent is 353-11, dated 4/57, which does cover a few different RCA color sets, but not mine...

And they don't really seem willing to mount a search for the proper folder, unfortunately... "it would take too much time", they said. They **did** issue a credit refund for my order, which I appreciate, but I'd still like to have the right diagram.

So-- is there another source for a proper schematic?

Thanks for any help!

-Kevin

Last edited by Joel Cairo; 04-23-2003 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try www.agtannenbaum.com. They have most Sams, and will help you find the right one.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I guess my confusion stems more from the idea that I just assumed that SAMS would have a reference to my specific model of RCA television... there weren't all that many color TVs on the market in those days, and so I was just guessing that they would have covered most every model that was out.

Obviously, I was wrong!!

Of course, it could be a case of them indexing the chassis, rather than any specific model, and I'm just looking at the problem the wrong way.

I have an original of that #358 folder (it was the SAMS folder that was provided with the set, and was probably the one that the original owner used for his restoration)... but again, it didn't specifically mention my model, so I wasn't certain it was the right one.

The general interior of the set does resemble what I saw in the #353 folder, so I guess I'll start doing some exmaination, and see how far I can get.

Thanks for the help, though, folks!

-Kevin
Old 04-24-2003, 12:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Kevin:

I believe that your set is the "Lockhaven" model 21-CT-8785. My 1980 Sams book does list that model and indicates that it is folder 353-11. The is a difference in the CTC-5 chassis. Your's is the Super CTC-5 not the more deluxe CTC-5N. I have a factory service manual for those chassis (also called the 700 series) and can help you out if you need more info.

Steve
Audiokarma
Old 04-24-2003, 01:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

That'd be great, Steve... if you'd like to drop a PM to me, I'll give some off-line contact info. I'd like to get copies of what you've got, if that's possible.

And thanks for the verification of the SAMS info, too... for the record, your model ID for my set is right on target.

-Kevin