Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

'46-'47 RCA radio/radio record player console

I just bought this RCA Victor, model 67V1, BC/SW radio/78 rpm record player console from the flea market. I need another console like I need a hole in the head; but, this is one of the nicest looking ones that I've found (most of the consoles from this era that I find have seen better days) and this one is too nice to let someone "downcycle" it. The vendor who sold it to me said that he bought it from an elderly couple, from inside their home. Chances are, it's been sitting in their home since it was new. We ended up loading it onto the back seat of a Toyota Camry and I think they added a few minor scratches to the cabinet while loading it. At any rate, it's still a nice looking unit and I will restore it one day.

I've seen this same record changer in some Admiral models; so, I figure this changer was either made by Admiral or Crescent. I'm happy that it still has the original changer, since so many of these later 78 rpm models were often converted to multi-speed changers (often a hack job). The chassis uses a power transformer, with PP-6K6's in the output stage. Even though it's a lower end model, it should still be a decent performer.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

nice styling on that one. I wonder who made the record changer, it looks original, but doesn't look like one of RCAs own designs, and its not the Oak changer that they sometimes used in 1940s units.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find.

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
nice styling on that one. I wonder who made the record changer, it looks original, but doesn't look like one of RCAs own designs, and its not the Oak changer that they sometimes used in 1940s units.
IIRC, the changer is made by Admiral or one of their suppliers.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:33 PM
<----Zenith C845

Your console is a very good find, and it should work well once restored; however, do you intend to keep the 78-RPM changer (to maintain the console's authenticity) or to eventually replace it with a modern 3- or 4-speed one? I'm curious since, while 33-RPM records have made a comeback of sorts, 78-RPM records are obsolete and probably very difficult to find today. I would suggest adding a CD player as well, but a modification like that would destroy the authenticity of this unit in no time flat. I'm sure you probably want to keep this as original as possible.

Good luck. Consoles like this one deserve to be restored, as they were built like tanks and had excellent audio systems. With a modern record changer and cartridge, yours should sound great. RCA did not cut corners on this one.

BTW, was or is there an aftermarket modification available for the AM/SW radio in this unit to allow the use of an FM tuner as well? Since your set was made in the late '40s, when FM radio (on the modern 88-108 MHz band) was starting to become popular in this country, I would think RCA would have provided an input on the radio chassis for such a tuner. A position on the function switch marked "FM" or similar wording would confirm this.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-11-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I plan on keeping it as original as possible (I have other units for playing newer records). The most I might do is add a Y-adapter to the phono input. That way, I can plug an RCA 45 rpm record player or other device into the phono input and the modification can be reversed in a few seconds.

When my parents got married in '47, they bought a higher end RCA console with AM/FM/SW and at least one, maybe two, AUX input jacks. When 45's came out, they bought an RCA 45 rpm record player attachment and had it plugged into one of the aux. input jacks. It was originally equipped with a Seeburg "slicer" 78 rpm changer; but, I tore it out when I was a kid and it's long been gone. One day, I need to track down another turntable and fix it back like it once was. The amp had two 6F6's in the output stage. When they bought it, they got a good deal on it because the cabinet had a couple of minor scratches on it.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:29 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Your console is a very good find, and it should work well once restored; however, do you intend to keep the 78-RPM changer (to maintain the console's authenticity) or to eventually replace it with a modern 3- or 4-speed one? I'm curious since, while 33-RPM records have made a comeback of sorts, 78-RPM records are obsolete and probably very difficult to find today..
78's are easy to find here...It seems every antique shop has them, and the thrifts usually have some at least one week a month on average.

If you are really into Big Band/swing, or other genres that had a lot of pre-low speed releases, then 78's are a must.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-12-2015, 04:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Out of the 3 major record speeds, 78's are the hardest to find here; but, I still find enough of them to make it worth the effort. I think most dealers shy away from buying 78's because they are the least desirable in my area. When I find 78's at the thrift stores or flea markets, they are usually broken from rough handling and being mixed in with the LP's.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:04 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Your RCA console is beautiful. I know of one nearby which is nice, but not as nice condition as your pristine survivor. I hope your restoration is successful, and know it will be working soon superbly, as your skill set is superb. Thanks for your excellent posts and youtube restoration videos, I have a lot of restoration and repair know how, and learn much from your videos and posts, thanks!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

It was common in the 1950s to 'modernize' units like this with newer record changers to play 33 and 45 records . Its nice to see a Unmolested one. It was also common to add a accessory 45 player or fm tuner like Pilot used to sell, those would be nice period accessories to dispplay with a piece like this, adding functionality while still keeping it original.
Audiokarma
Old 02-19-2015, 11:30 PM
M is for Memory

I used to have a pilot tuner. It worked great and looked perfect....until dad hit the shelf in the garage it was on with the car messing up the case beyond my limited ability to fix it, so it was sold.

That RCA is a good looking set...There was a an RCA projo combo that resembled that console.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Your console is a very good find, and it should work well once restored; however, do you intend to keep the 78-RPM changer (to maintain the console's authenticity) or to eventually replace it with a modern 3- or 4-speed one? I'm curious since, while 33-RPM records have made a comeback of sorts, 78-RPM records are obsolete and probably very difficult to find today. I would suggest adding a CD player as well, but a modification like that would destroy the authenticity of this unit in no time flat. I'm sure you probably want to keep this as original as possible.

Good luck. Consoles like this one deserve to be restored, as they were built like tanks and had excellent audio systems. With a modern record changer and cartridge, yours should sound great. RCA did not cut corners on this one.

BTW, was or is there an aftermarket modification available for the AM/SW radio in this unit to allow the use of an FM tuner as well? Since your set was made in the late '40s, when FM radio (on the modern 88-108 MHz band) was starting to become popular in this country, I would think RCA would have provided an input on the radio chassis for such a tuner. A position on the function switch marked "FM" or similar wording would confirm this.
I'm not that crazy about the radio-phono consoles, but the RCA V301 is a real impressive set. It's from the "Fewer but Finer" era, which was not just hype.