Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2017, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the repair was successful it may have as much as decades more time left on the fly, assuming temp and current can be kept under control.

Part of me wonders if the copper corrosion is natural. I know this example is a good 30 years older, but I've done ~3-4 Philco 60 chassis cathedral radios (2 more waiting in the wings) and 2-3 of their loss leader cousins the 80 chassis (2 of those waiting my bench also), and all but one of them (a 60 chassis) had either the antenna transformer, osc transformer or both with corroded open windings (and these windings have a coating besides the wire lacquer sealing?/holding them to the forms)...Only one had the problem in the lead-in, the rest were mid winding...Sometimes with multiple opens. The first ones I fixed in a similar fashion to what your tech did, the rest especially the ones with multiple opens I just rewound the ~<20 turns with phono pickup wire. All these sets were ones with good original cabinets, not barn dwellers, yet still were like that.
Probably natural, but from the years and heat. Mike is concerned about the heat in the cage. It has no ventilation holes, unlike the CTC-2B. He is going to add ventilation by drilling holes and adding a fan.

When I asked Mike why RCA would engineer a flyback with no ventilation, I said was this a money grab to get repair tech's to the home, he said, "well the fly backs were readily available but possibly to minamize arcing."