Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Need flyback for RCA Victor CTC24A -- anyone have RCA and Thordarson p/n or part?

Hi. Flyback shows signs of melt, apparently need replacement for RCA Victor chassis 24A. Read in an old thread that a member here had a supply of Thordarson flys. I have emailed him but thought I'd post here as well. Also, does that gob of wax coating the lower member of the fly, below the doughnut, mean the part is dead? Read that these models often shed wax and still worked. Set fritzed when turned on after storage in a damp garage. Only sign of problem is this melting inside HV cage but the doughnut itself looks pretty much intact. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

FLY312
I just happen to have the sams right here on my desk. If you look through my videos I have several on substituting, re-waxing, failure modes and diagnosis rca and packard bell flybacks (same thing). Although they do have a high failure rate, dont be quick to condemn it without seeing smoke or a proper test
Old 01-20-2012, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks. I'm getting that degausser power surge at turn-on, and I've got audio, so maybe it's not the flyback after all... but that bottom section under the doughnut is singed with brownish yellow goo. Trying to find a tube tester in my area (near Trenton, NJ) so I haven't tested tubes yet. Just cruised to your YouTube page.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

They usually smoke and burn or red plate and burn up the horizontal output tube. 6JE6
Not good to run it like that, put the 6JE6 out
The wax is normal
Old 01-20-2012, 07:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

One other question: When replacing the HV cage cap, do you have to apply pressure to ensure that the tube cap is secure? I just closed/lowered the cage and now I'm not getting the degausser surge. Maybe the tube cap didn't secure? What's proper technique? Thanks.

The 6JE6 hor. output tube is glowing orange, but it does look like there's a bit of a brown singe on the inside or either side of the tube. So maybe that tube blew and the fly is okay...
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

no pressure should be required. I can't think of ANY reason that the HV could make the degausser fail to work (unless something is shorted to the point that the breaker has popped).

EVERY set I have with a factory orig fly has wax dripping out of it. Unless you have diagnosed the HV to the point of the flyback being the problem, I would recommend leaving it alone.

If the 6je6 is red plating then of course the fly will not work. However this is not to be confused with the normal filament glowing.

The 1st thing I would have done is a slow power up with the HOT pulled out of the socket, while monitoring the B+ voltage and the total AC current.

If it passed that test, then you should monitor the cathode current of the HOT and do a full power startup, if the cathode current exceed 220ma (guess) then shut it down and start you diagnosis, begin with a check of the 6je6 grid and screen voltages. Pull the plate cap off and check the voltage at the cap (not the tube, the cap lead). Do NOT check the 6je6 cap when its installed on the tube.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:02 PM
electronics packrat

Welcome to the small club of CTC-24 owners. I have one which has no HV, and there really isn't a lot of info out there on these sets. I wonder how many of these RCA produced in 1966, something tells me that it wasn't a very large number. These sets seem to eat 6GH8s for lunch, from what I've heard. As has been said before, flybacks from this era do seem to have a bit of wax drip, but that doesn't mean the fly is bad.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetone36 View Post
Welcome to the small club of CTC-24 owners. I have one which has no HV, and there really isn't a lot of info out there on these sets. I wonder how many of these RCA produced in 1966, something tells me that it wasn't a very large number. These sets seem to eat 6GH8s for lunch, from what I've heard. As has been said before, flybacks from this era do seem to have a bit of wax drip, but that doesn't mean the fly is bad.
There was a lot of them around. It was part of the CTC 19,20 & 24 chassis family. Flybacks were different in all three models. They weren't real bad, but not one of RCA's better efforts.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Could you give a little more skinny on the CTC-24? Our store was an RCA dealership and entered the color market with the CTC-15 onward. I'm thoroughly familiar with the CTC-19 and '20, but danged if i ever saw or heard of a '24. Can't find anything on it in Google either. Was it a roundie like the '20?
(From the 'learn sumpthin new every day' department.)
Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking at the sams,
uses a 25AP22
only has two IF stages
uses 6GH8s for everything, video, the enitire color circuit including the r-y/b-y/g-y amps
has about 8 6GH8s in it

The rest looks about the same as the higher end RCA color sets.
uses full power transformer

The CTC19 is a metal table top. I have one, havnt got around to working on it yet.
IIRC the CTC20 was a late roundie.

Its a small chassis, the IF and low voltage power supply are on the deflection board, the audio out is on the chroma board.
Only 2 boards instead of 4

Last edited by ctc17; 01-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA Victor New Vista Color Model "Glenview" -- a CTC24A

For Old Coot: Here's an ad for the "Glenview" CTC24A from March 1967:

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Process...20-%200338.pdf
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hm. So then the CTC-24 was basically a '19 modded to run a 25" tube (just as the '20 was a '19 adapted to a round tube*).

*CTC-19 was the first chassis designed specifically for the 19" rectangular tube.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Once the set has been inside and warmed up, I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless the fly smokes. I remember the smell of a toasted RCA flyback to this day.
I liked the looks of those sets, but that one chassis design for the tuner was horrid. You had to push in the selector knob to fine tune, and you ALWAYS had to fiddle with it. Probably not too bad in this day and age as it would be run off a cable box or VCR. I remember a 24 we had on our service route. Boy that sucker was a dog. I think it had to be serviced 3 times a year at least. And it was always ODD "glitchy" problems.. never seemed to be a simple tube swap.. except in 1 case. It had NO high voltage, and surprisingly the 2AV2 (focus) tube was bad, and I rarely saw one of those tubes go bad, or that problem crop up on an RCA chassis again.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

To: jstout66: What kind of "glitchy" problems?

I remember set being in-home serviced a couple of times, in each case a tube swap fixed it. From day one, the picture bloomed when brightness was turned up to the max. I always assumed that's what all these RCA sets did back then...
Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey sounds like the screens are up to high that is a symptom of blooming from the experiance I had when workig on these sets or that is one of the many crazy things that happens just like the recalls on zenith years ago because the high voltage was up to high it caused melt down on the horizontal output tube. that is a bad situation when they started mass production with out quality control being supervized. hopefully your set will be running soon good luck...
Audiokarma