Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-5, other tv stuff for sale

I received this reply e-mail from a lady who wants to sell inventory from her Dad's radio-tv shop. She lives in the Detroit area. She believes the CTC-5 is either a Wescott or Whitby upright console. This from viewing the CTC-5's on my website. Contact Leona at TheOnlywindsong@aol.com

E-mail message:
From: TheOnlyWindsong@aol.com Date: Tue, Jul 31, 2007, 11:58am (PDT+3) To:************ Subject: Re: interested in old tv??

thank you for your quick response. Sorry I left out details- I am located in a suburb just outside Detroit Michigan. I looked at the back of the set for a model number,there was no back cover, however, the numbers ctc5 were stamped on the chassis. The speaker was absent, don't know what happened. Could you recommend a price for this tv- just a ballpark- because after further inspection with the speaker and cord missing, it probably is only good for parts, the cabinet is decent. Thank you for the link.
Also, my Dad had a small tv/radio repair shop back in the 60's and when it was closed down I inherited all his stuff. Don't know if you would be interested but I have8 or more boxes of tubes packed along with volume switches, capacitors, resistors and 5 to 6 volumes of Rider Books, a box of Sams fact and assorted other goodies. Again, if you could enlighten me as to value, I would appreciate it. If any of this stuff would be useful to you, please let me know.
Where are you located and do you have any buddies in the Detroit or Michigan area that would want to purchase this stuff.

Thank you Again,
Leona
------------------------------------------------

-Steve D.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Through Wind and Rain....

I wanted to update everyone on this post from last July. I'd been in contact with Leona (the lady with the goodies to sell) after I saw Steve's post and made plans to drive to her home in the Detroit area early this November. As it turned out the weekend I chose, (Nov.9th, 10th) had a very questionable weather forcast. Since my vehicle is an open back pick up truck, I held my breath and started my 10 hour trek from NJ early Friday morning. In no time at all I was feeling like the proverbial "mailperson", traveling through wind, sleet, rain, snow and ice on my way across the great state of PA. And by the time I reached Ohio it was pouring rain and continued to do so for the balance of the trip.

I finally arrived in Detroit around 10 PM and made my way to my hotel. To my delight when I woke up the next morning there was no rain falling, and at times I even saw a few breaks of sunlight poking through the clouds. I met with Leona and we began preparations for the move. She's a very nice lady and we got along just great.

The Color TV, which is an RCA CTC-5 Westcott model was in pretty good condition except for the missing back cover and the missing speaker. It also included the original owners manual and an RCA Pict-O-Guide. I hooked the picture tube up to my crt tester and to my surprize all three guns came right up into the upper end of the good range. We loaded the TV, and then began to load all of the other parts she had salvaged from her father's repair shop. There are lots of old tubes, volume controls, the first 11 volumes of Rider's TV manuals, and many other odds and ends. I paid Leona, we wrapped up and covered up the "treasures" trying to stabilize and waterproof them all as much as possible in the bed of the truck.

I was on my way home to New Jersey by around 12:30 PM Saturday afternoon. I hit a few very light showers on the trip home, but nothing of any great consequence. I arrived home at about 12 midnight. The return trip was much less eventful than the trip out the day before, and for that I was very grateful.

Attached are some pictures of CTC-5 Westcott. I'm really looking forward to working on it. I've never worked on a color set this old before. The CTC-9 is as far back as I've gone. I'll most definitely post some screen shots of the set once it's back on it's feet again. That will probably be later in the Winter months.

Thanks to Steve D for the lead....this site is a GREAT resource. Not only is it overflowing with knowledgeable friendly people, but also people willing to "share the wealth" with each other and for that I'm very grateful. Thank You !

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN2726.JPG (59.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN2709.JPG (64.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN2710.JPG (68.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN2712.JPG (71.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of DSCN2717.JPG (47.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2718.JPG (39.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2719.JPG (46.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-11-2007, 05:08 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Gross envy here - especially for the working CRT! Looks like you have a fine project for the winter.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

What a purty set ! You lucky dawg...(grin)
Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bob,

Sounds like a great adventure. Glad you were able to follow up on my post and get the CTC-5 and the other goodies. The good CRT, alone, was worth the trip. Your CTC-5 is actually the "Aldrich" Special series model. It is a table model with the very rare optional base. Did you check the base to see if there was a speaker located in it?
Have fun restoring it.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma
Old 11-11-2007, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good luck to you on getting it working. Glad the weather wasn't *too* unkind to you.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

I also notice the cover is missing from the HV box, and including my CTC-5, now I have seen I think three that were missing the cover. I wonder if there were some sold without that cover at all?

That will be nice to see when you finish restoring it.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bob:

That set is a great addition to your collection!

Chris:

I think the reason you see so many 5s without the HV cover is because there was a very long screw that held them on. It took about 5 minutes just to unscrew the thing (a bit of an exageration of course). So I think that most repairmen just got fed up with it and left them off.

Steve
Old 11-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thanks, Steve. I made my own replacement cover, but I got it to kind of snap on to the slots on the sides and I have not yet replaced that screw.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 11-12-2007, 07:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Bob,

Sounds like a great adventure. Glad you were able to follow up on my post and get the CTC-5 and the other goodies. The good CRT, alone, was worth the trip. Your CTC-5 is actually the "Aldrich" Special series model. It is a table model with the very rare optional base. Did you check the base to see if there was a speaker located in it?
Have fun restoring it.

-Steve D.
Hi Steve;
Thanks for clarifying the model set that I have (The Aldrich). What you're saying makes sense. I was wondering why the completely self contained TV portion would just lift off of the base and there was no mention of that fact included with the Westcott. There is no speaker in the base, nor does it appear to have ever had that option with this base, since the panel where the speaker would mount is a solid piece of masonite.

Thanks for the well wishes.
Bob.
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 AM
mike g

nice find Bob , i am jealous , wish i found one like that
Old 11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another great find! A CTC-5 is alway worth grabbing.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

As a follow up to Steve K's remark...The long screw on the cover was supposed to be a safety feature. Really. By the time you finished unscrewing it, everything was supposed to be "safe". More than likely you just lost interest in going any further. I know I had many leave the shop minus that long screw

One thing I liked about the -5 was the way the 2nd anode lead pushed into the metal cup at the base of the 3A3. Easy to discharge the CRT, just pull the lead from the cup and touch it (ZZappp) to the cage. Was also a laugh riot when you stuck your hand into the cage and the lead unexpectedly came loose! I know several of you "old-timers" have experienced that.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting that the whole time I worked on mine (and it's been a few years ago) it never occured to me to discharge that wire. At the time I didn't realize just how the hv filter arrangement was so I just assumed there was no voltage there. Luckily I never got bit. I had that chassis pulled many, many times.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Frenchy

ctc-5

Mine has the HV cover but no screw, I always wondered what the heck was supposed to hold that thing on!
Careful lifting that chassis, it is one heavy son of a gun - I'm a pretty big guy but even for me it got close to 'need two people' territory.
Audiokarma