Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

CBS 75th anniversary show

Not sure if any of you members caught the CBS 75th. Typical show produced by 30 somethings. with a little nod to historical items. Although a nice salute to William Paley, most delt with 60's to present time. What is pertinent to this forum is the all to brief segment on color tv. There was an interesting color clip of a Burns & Allen show. The announcer Harry Von Zell says: "The Burns & Allen show in color." Followed by the brief film clip of the stars. This series ran from 1950 to '58. I presume this was not from the CBS sequential period. I believe that was only live programing. This looked more mid 50's. In the '50's CBS would show various programs in color on a one time basis. I guess this justified the color equipment and perhaps sold a few CBS color sets.
Steve

Last edited by Steve D.; 11-04-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Makes me wonder if the Rose Parade is planning anything special.

Boy I bet they sure could use a couple CT100s on a float and pay dearly for rental fees
Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamakiri
Makes me wonder if the Rose Parade is planning anything special.

Boy I bet they sure could use a couple CT100s on a float and pay dearly for rental fees
You'd have to insure them for a king's ransom expecting that they'd probably come back trashed. All they'd need would be empty cabinets with a modern color TV put inside anyhow for such props.

As for big rental fee's? They don't give away money they don't have to.

Why don't you set something up with local WBEN for your set Tim to go on public display in their lobby (get them to pay for a custom plexiglass display cabinet to be built completely around it which you would get to keep as the fee) for it while it is there. Make sure they insure it also.

Last edited by Rob; 11-04-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ho Hummm...

Hey guys,
Here I go being cynical again. I doubt those same 20 or 30 somethings at NBC are even aware of the parade's fifty years of color telecasting. To them TV has always been in color. And there is no longer any connection to RCA, unless their a sponsor, to motivate a mention. It is very historical to us but I doubt most people think twice about color tv's roots. I'll be watching on my CT-100 and taping to see what they do.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ed Reitan has a very good chronology of color studio development at;

http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/studios.html

CBS in Los Angeles was the poor step-child for CBS color until the mid-60's. The Burns and Allen clip was color film and came late in their productions. It probably played off the Philco film scanner he mentions to the full network. The earliest shows were live and now survive as kines.

Maybe camera collector Chuck Pharis could fire up one of his TK-40's for New Year's Day.

Look around the internet for old control room photos and see how many used CT-100's or 21CT55's as color monitors!

Dave A
Audiokarma
Old 11-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Steve-o,

What floored me about the 75th Anniversary Show is that they talked about color TV like CBS invented it and followed through on it. Heh. Really cracked me up....
Old 11-04-2003, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good call

Hey Hoffy,
That's a good call, Bill Paley would have loved it.