Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
I dont think this one is remote. IIRC the remotes used varactor tuners.
To be sure see if there is a motor on the tuner & extra remote reciever
chassis.
Ok, will do. The reason why I asked was because I know Philco and Zenith and Motorola had remote control TVs with the old Knob style tuners.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK so I picked up the TV today and brought it over to my place and when I looked at the back it seems that this TV may very well be a remote controlled TV as it has a provision in the back for a switch to enable and disable the remote.

Also I asked the original owners of the TV about a key that may have came with the TV at one time and they said that they didn't recall whether or not it had one, but I looked at the control door, it definitely looks like it had a locking mechanism installed at one time but then it was removed so now the door stays open all the time.

So I'm guessing that maybe there was a key at one time but the original owners lost the key and just removed the lock so that they didn't have to fuss with it anymore.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 09-13-2019 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a picture of the TV running with everyone's favorite video game Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

I think this TV may be using its original or second to the original jug, because just as Zeno pointed out this TV defnitely has black blacks, and has a great picture.

I had a DTV Converter Box hooked up to it last night and the convergence was horrible and I thought I was going to have to redo the convergence on the TV but then when I hooked my NES and Sega Genesis up to it, the Convergence was fine, which means it was just the converter box and the fact that apparently Digital Signals have horrible convergence (because apparently with flat panel TVs convergence is non-issue unlike it is on a CRT TV so they don't care how crappy the signal looks.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1970s GTE Sylvania TV Screenshot.jpg (63.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-13-2019, 09:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was able to take the back off the TV and get some nude shots of the inside of the TV.
Unfortunately this TV didn't have remote control capabilities installed from the factory.
Good news is that this TV still has its original jug installed yet!

pictures below of the inside of this TV.
Unfortunately its a little dirty inside so don't mind the dirt in the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV ID sticker on top of Picture Tube.jpg (67.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Main CIrcuit Board.jpg (101.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg High Voltage Section of TV.jpg (100.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg circuit diagram showing picture tube type.jpg (74.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg picture tube ID tag.jpg (67.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-13-2019, 10:37 AM
sampson159

1974 model year.to get the best picture you would have to turn the contrast to max.this was because of the crt.blacks were black!had a friend that used that crt in a zenith flat chassis set.best picture ever on a delta gun set.these sylvanias are all gone here in central ohio.we had the largest sylvania dealer in the country back them and thousands were sold.everybody had a sylvania.they looked good,stylish cabinets and priced about 100.00 less than other sets.of course the other sets were not high leven zeniths,rca or magnavox models.triplers,ho transistors and crts were 95 persent of repairs to these sets.the crts from the lower level sets and the hybrids lasted much longer.i ve seen them go 30 years or more.they made a fine picture.the 25vdmp22 made the best picture but had a short life.

Last edited by sampson159; 09-13-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-13-2019, 05:20 PM
sampson159

just saw the picture of it in action.needs some soldering on the end board and crt looks tired.it might wake up for you.this will be a nice set when you get the bugs out.if not,send it to me.i like those sylvania sets
Old 09-13-2019, 05:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
just saw the picture of it in action.needs some soldering on the end board and crt looks tired.it might wake up for you.this will be a nice set when you get the bugs out.if not,send it to me.i like those sylvania sets
What's the end board, and is that an easy fix?
Also I think the picture tube just needs to wake up a bit as the TV hasn't been used regularly since before the DTV transition.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:16 PM
sampson159

the end board with the vertical and color controls.the plugs for the convergence and vertical need soldered under the module.remove the module and look under the plugs.resolder all contacts.make sure you install the 4 screws at each corner of the module.if not you will have several lines at the side. common issue.thats what is making the lines at top off picture.these crts are very delicate.might warm up but good chance it wont.hope it does for you.still a great set to have.at the etf,there are still a few 25v tubes there.i ve gotten 3 and all were excellent.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
the end board with the vertical and color controls.the plugs for the convergence and vertical need soldered under the module.remove the module and look under the plugs.resolder all contacts.make sure you install the 4 screws at each corner of the module.if not you will have several lines at the side. common issue.thats what is making the lines at top off picture.these crts are very delicate.might warm up but good chance it wont.hope it does for you.still a great set to have.at the etf,there are still a few 25v tubes there.i ve gotten 3 and all were excellent.
I might be getting a tabletop version of this TV from a coworker at work. Do those have the same issues as the floor model units or not?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:58 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
Actually now that I took a closrt look, that looks like an inline CRT. Definitely all solid state by that time. But interesting how it still has mechanical tuners. Could be a replacement CRT. Looks alot like a Zenith Rauland CRT black matrix inline. Popular in the mid 80s
This looks GT-Matic era. Definitely all solid state save for CRT.
Audiokarma
Old 09-15-2019, 03:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
This looks GT-Matic era. Definitely all solid state save for CRT.
Picture tube is original to the TV not a replacement, take a look at my photos I posted of the inside of the TV set showing pictures of the ID stickers on the picture tube.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:43 AM
sampson159

the table modal will have same issues.seamed like they all came to the shop with the identical issues.rarely did we find a bad flyback,etc.mostly crt weak and the problems listed in my previous posts.a few vertical module failures but they were were cheap-28.00 jobber price.these sets were designed simple with nice looking cabinets and fabulous pictures when right.had sylvania would have made a longer lasting crt,those sets would be out there today.i try to get all these i can.it was a great era for tv.from 1955 to 1984,television was a great business to be in.i miss those days
Old 09-15-2019, 10:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
the table modal will have same issues.seamed like they all came to the shop with the identical issues.rarely did we find a bad flyback,etc.mostly crt weak and the problems listed in my previous posts.a few vertical module failures but they were were cheap-28.00 jobber price.these sets were designed simple with nice looking cabinets and fabulous pictures when right.had sylvania would have made a longer lasting crt,those sets would be out there today.i try to get all these i can.it was a great era for tv.from 1955 to 1984,television was a great business to be in.i miss those days
Great to know, my co-worker at work I dont think watched TV too much so the TV may be still in the same condition as the console I have. But when i do get it I'll check those things out on there.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:39 AM
sampson159

if you have no issues,dont be concerned.keep this for future reference.love to see one with a good 25vdmp22.its been more than a few years since