Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:18 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe111671 View Post
Will change that for sure. Never heard of Groove Tube, and doesn't look available on anything streaming but I'd watch if it was!

If/when I get rid of the left set I'll let you know, I'm not keeping both. Looks like you're close to Kenosha.

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to get started. Doesn't look obvious how it comes out as one unit, so it will be interesting to see.
It was a film with members of SNL...There are some distinct thematic similarities to the 'Kentucky Fried Movie' in that they both were spoofing what you'd see on TV at the time, but pretty much all the actual routines are completely different. I have it on betamax and could probably dub a copy for you or make a video file.

Kenosha is about a 2 hour drive. I go past there to Chicago from time to time.

Zeniths of that era if the yoke is mounted to the chassis then the CRT is meant to come out with the chassis. There should be bolts under the chassis bolting the chassis to the chassis shelf, bolts between the CRT mounting ears and the face bezel (in addition to the CRT being strapped at the face to the chassis...Most other makers choose only 1 CRT mount method), the pencil box knobs, and tuner (and sometimes remote control reciever) interconnect wiring will also tether it. You can remove the tuner (and or remote) or choose to unplug it (mark what wire goes where) at the spade plugs on the tuner.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-14-2019, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Never heard of Groove Tube
Intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymgbYSJagTc

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT Z.jpg (28.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I forgot the Groove tube set was a model year or so older than this one...Interesting they kept that cabinet in production.

I'm pretty sure that youtube clip edited out a psychedelic trip through technological development that occurred between the screen lighting up and the monkeys playing music...They also spliced in a few disjointed seconds of 2 much later parts at the end.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

After watching that trailer I want to watch the whole thing, have a feeling I'd be rolling the whole time!

Got the chassis out and it was as you described Tom, I left the tuner in the cabinet. I posted it on a new thread in the Rectangular Tube forum.

After seeing the Groove set, I can see the difference in CRT shape but the cabinet is the same, looks like it has the swivel base too.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tom, are you still looking for one of these? I'm ready to let this one go and kept you in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Right set start by replacing the cathode lytic on the vertical output.

The left set was used at the beginning of the comedy "Groove Tube" as a replacement for the monolith in their spoof of '2001: a space oddessy'...That is one of the few monochrome consoles I'm actively looking for.
Audiokarma
Old 11-11-2020, 02:04 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Tom, are you still looking for one of these? I'm ready to let this one go and kept you in mind.
Yes I am. My PM box is full so I sent you an email. If you don't get the email please let me know.