Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

VOIP. No cellphone for me (yet).
Old 01-16-2019, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Like Electronic M, we have a landline as part of a cable TV/internet package. I only use my cell for family members--however, I have several family member who I cannot understand over my cell (or other cell phones), so the landline will remain as long as the service is available.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Damn does run fast…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Plus the AT&T Arris modem doesn't dial with a rotary phone. They excluded a pulse dial encoder.
Tha'ts odd, my current VOIP modem is an Arris, and supports pulse dialing.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can't get decent internet service without a phone being part of the package. My wife, who sometimes is stark raving nuts (sometimes), gets so upset at the only callers we ever get anymore (scammers, surveys, telemarketers, etc) that she starts madly listing off all the special ways she wishes to torture them to the edge of death! But...she refuses, in no uncertain terms, to let me unplug the phone as long as it's part of the package. I should just tell her I talked Comcast into disconnecting it!

My stepmother finally ditched her landline when Verizon could no longer come up with 2 good wires. If it rained her phone would be out for weeks. Back when I was in business this got to an issue as well. I had a fax line so I could call & they would have the system switch the calls to the other number until they could come out and fix it. One day the phone repairman told me there weren't many good wires left that they could choose from.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:34 PM
I love old stuff

So do you like old Copper wires?
Audiokarma
Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I can't get decent internet service without a phone being part of the package. My wife, who sometimes is stark raving nuts (sometimes), gets so upset at the only callers we ever get anymore (scammers, surveys, telemarketers, etc) that she starts madly listing off all the special ways she wishes to torture them to the edge of death! But...she refuses, in no uncertain terms, to let me unplug the phone as long as it's part of the package. I should just tell her I talked Comcast into disconnecting it!

My stepmother finally ditched her landline when Verizon could no longer come up with 2 good wires. If it rained her phone would be out for weeks. Back when I was in business this got to an issue as well. I had a fax line so I could call & they would have the system switch the calls to the other number until they could come out and fix it. One day the phone repairman told me there weren't many good wires left that they could choose from.
I get a lot of spam calls on my cell phone...I've implemented the same solution on my cell as I have on the landline: Read the caller ID when it rings and if I don't recognize the number (especially if it is a strange area code), let it go to answering machine....The scammers and telemarketers typically don't leave messages, and if it is someone I know I can pick up mid-message (at least on the landline where the answering machine puts the message to speaker as it records) and BS about picking up late because I was in the bathroom or something.

Some persistent annoying scammer numbers I've been known to lift the receiver and drop it to silence it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-17-2019, 04:49 AM
console lover

Landline-via-Comcast here as well. Several years ago I was forced to install a Panasonic 616 PBX after a "software update" removed Comcast's previous support of pulse dialing.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I get a lot of spam calls on my cell phone...I've implemented the same solution on my cell as I have on the landline: Read the caller ID when it rings and if I don't recognize the number (especially if it is a strange area code), let it go to answering machine....The scammers and telemarketers typically don't leave messages, and if it is someone I know I can pick up mid-message (at least on the landline where the answering machine puts the message to speaker as it records) and BS about picking up late because I was in the bathroom or something.

Some persistent annoying scammer numbers I've been known to lift the receiver and drop it to silence it.
Almost all of the spam calls I get are from my area code, and usually the next three digits are the same as my number as well. Apparently the scammers have figured out how to fake the caller ID so it looks like a local number. I guess the theory is people are more likely to pick up if the number appears local. They use numbers that are in use, and if you call back it will go to the actual owner of the number. I know they have used my number when calling other people because my voicemail is full of messages from strangers asking me to stop bothering them.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:54 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAge View Post
Almost all of the spam calls I get are from my area code, and usually the next three digits are the same as my number as well. Apparently the scammers have figured out how to fake the caller ID so it looks like a local number. I guess the theory is people are more likely to pick up if the number appears local. They use numbers that are in use, and if you call back it will go to the actual owner of the number. I know they have used my number when calling other people because my voicemail is full of messages from strangers asking me to stop bothering them.
My cell at least has a good solution to that...it is still on the old Florida area code it had when we got on the plan over a decade ago...we never fit in worth a damn there so since we moved nobody we know there has our number...every "local" area code on that phone is automatically a wrong number or spam.... though most spam on that line tends not to be in that area code.... seems like there are a lot of people there who either can't dial or can't accurately give out a phone number... Some of the messages from strangers make me glad I'm still young, and never abused substances.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-18-2019, 06:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have to use a modem for an upcoming job at a Fortune 20 company, because their locked-down IT architecture won't let my specialty box on their network without a 3-month vetting process. Their house, their rules, so that's fine. But the alternative is modem connection. Have a box full of modems at the door for my 9:00 AM test session this morning. They say they have POTS, but I'm guessing it's really VOIP from Cisco. We'll find out soon.

I haven't had POTS since 2014. Had fiber-to-the-house installed a couple months ago, and used the copper wire as a pull wire to pull the fiber thru the 120' conduit from house to pole. Couldn't even find a neighbor with POTS to do some pre-testing. We'll see how it goes. +++ ATH0
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2019, 01:54 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasadowsk View Post

Originally Posted by Ed in Tx
Plus the AT&T Arris modem doesn't dial with a rotary phone. They excluded a pulse dial encoder.

Tha'ts odd, my current VOIP modem is an Arris, and supports pulse dialing.
Then don't let them ever swap it out to a NVG599 Arris modem if rotary pulse dial is important. That model doesn't, as documented in the manual too.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

We were copper until about four months ago when my parents opted for free VoIP as part of a speed boost on our fiber connection. At first I wasn't impressed but the fiber modem is doing a great job handling touch tone and rotary and has successfully done dialup connections. I have a PBX between the modem and the phones in the house anyways which lets me run more "demanding" phones and modems.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:19 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007
I'm curios, is anybody left around here that still use a land (fixed) telephone line?
I would love it if we did!!!!!

This shitty service on this digital crap is unreal!! (Dropped calls constantly,etc)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:26 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This shitty service on this digital crap is unreal!! (Dropped calls constantly,etc)
That's too bad . . The digital phone I've had over 5 years now has been excellent quality with a bunch of handy call block features that didn't exist before. Quality overall is superior to the old copper wires that were getting pretty staticky after 65 years.

Only time I've been without phone was last October when a critical ATT building got hit by lightning and a large part of N.Texas was without phone and internet for about 12 hours. Oddly the outage affected my cell phone too, Had to physically drive to an ATT store to find out what was going on. By the time I got home the wide area outage had hit the news.

POW! ZAP! You'd think a big company like ATT would have backup... nope!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg att-lightning-sm.jpg (54.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-01-2019, 07:41 PM
On Land

I still have a copper phone line. Still have rotary phones connected. Unfortunately I am not able to get high speed internet being where I am.... I have to use a hotspot for internet... which is okay. Since I go to sea, I can take the hotspot with me and use on the ship.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma