Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Another battery only set in my collection is this compact Majestic 130 which at only 4x5.5x7 inches, is similar in size to the Sonora “Candid” mentioned earlier in this thread.

Major difference in design philosophy however, the Sonora uses 4 miniature tubes, while the Majestic stuck with octal tubes, and only had room for 3 tubes. Performance is not outstanding, but it is a cute little radio, and difficult to find. Likely not as inexpensive as the larger sets.

jr
Nice example. A friend and fellow collector had one of them for sale once and being he did my repair work, he didn't seem too excited to get it working for me, so I passed. It's a nice set, but the tenite disk knobs warp badly. Like the little '33 Kadette Jr. AC set, it was more of novelty than anything else. You just can't beat the more typical larger models.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Nice example. A friend and fellow collector had one of them for sale once and being he did my repair work, he didn't seem too excited to get it working for me, so I passed. It's a nice set, but the tenite disk knobs warp badly. Like the little '33 Kadette Jr. AC set, it was more of novelty than anything else. You just can't beat the more typical larger models.
If you look at the schematic in N/A, you'll see the 1D8GT tube is a multi-purpose tube. It's a proper superhet, but not much in the line of AVC.
I don't think too many were made or survived.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
If you look at the schematic in N/A, you'll see the 1D8GT tube is a multi-purpose tube. It's a proper superhet, but not much in the line of AVC.
I don't think too many were made or survived.
Interesting little set. Yeah, the one my friend had was the only one that I can recall I had the chance to acquire. I should've gotten it because other than a missing strap, it was in pretty good shape. I do have my little 2-tube Kadette Jr. working and it's almost comical how it performs. It just squeaks out audio!
Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Interesting little set. Yeah, the one my friend had was the only one that I can recall I had the chance to acquire. I should've gotten it because other than a missing strap, it was in pretty good shape. I do have my little 2-tube Kadette Jr. working and it's almost comical how it performs. It just squeaks out audio!
It's some form of a regenerative TRF.
I looked at the schematic again and they made four different variations of it.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

I saved this one from a likely bad end. It actually cleaned up nicely. The flash of the pic does not do it justice. The interior is very clean and no doubt I'll have this one working soon. It's a 1939 Trutone "Tiny Four". No model number which is common on these smaller brand sets. It's a darker tweed then typical. It also went under the Admiral name and likely a few others. It's slightly larger than it looks in the pics and needed a strong replacement handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 Truetone Tiny-Four.jpg (83.5 KB, 14 views)
Audiokarma
Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a '39 Stewart Warner "Companion Radio" model 02-41. I got the set with the original Burgess batteries in it dated 1942. I replaced them with modern batteries and cleaned all the sockets and controls and it came on playing well as-is! 75+ years dormant and it plays. If that's not a testament to the quality of products back then, nothing is!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1939 Stewart Warner Companion 02-411.jpg (73.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM
M is for Memory

I hope you held onto the original batteries. They can be kept as an artifact or gutted and used to hide modern batteries and or a DC to DC voltage stepup converter.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-13-2019, 05:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I hope you held onto the original batteries. They can be kept as an artifact or gutted and used to hide modern batteries and or a DC to DC voltage stepup converter.
Yes I did Tom, thanks. They're in pretty good shape too. Amazing how they never leaked in 77 years. They barely moved when I tried to take them out, but then they finally budged. They actually looked great in the set, but they made it very heavy! The 3 of them are nearly the weight of the radio!