Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 AM
console lover

1958 Westinghouse roundie?

I found this in the midst of a totally unrelated search. I've never seen this set before nor heard any discussion of a change to round tubes after the rectangular ones proved troublesome. It doesn't even have a heading in the ETF database.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.jpg (97.3 KB, 167 views)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Roper View Post
I found this in the midst of a totally unrelated search. I've never seen this set before nor heard any discussion of a change to round tubes after the rectangular ones proved troublesome. It doesn't even have a heading in the ETF database.
I only saw one of those!
A used TV store, I hung around had one. There was a notice on the back, that stated that the set had been converted to use a 21CYP22.
I never knew the true meaning of the statement until several years later, that they made a rectangular CRT, that was a flop.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:29 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I only saw one of those!
A used TV store, I hung around had one. There was a notice on the back, that stated that the set had been converted to use a 21CYP22.
I never knew the true meaning of the statement until several years later, that they made a rectangular CRT, that was a flop.
Part of me wonders if that CYP conversion was from an AXP. IIRC some makers were still using AXPs that late.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Part of me wonders if that CYP conversion was from an AXP. IIRC some makers were still using AXPs that late.
+1

It's my understanding the manufacturers would lend a set to Sam's for the photofact. They probably switched the whole line over to 21AXP22s right from the factory.

Most of the smaller manufacturers were using the 21AXP22 until the end of 1958. I think Motorola holds the record though, they were producing TS-905 sets well into the early 60s. I've seen ads as late as 1963 for the 21CT2M and 21CK3!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

IIRC, Westinghouse transitioned directly from the in house made 22EP22 sets which flopped in 1957 to a 21CYP22 based set for 1958.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Motorola Minion

This is after Sams stopped using "pink" folders for early color sets. Look in Sams 357 for the Westy rectangular CRT set. TS905 is in Sams 371 IIRC
I never saw one but reading these schematics, I imagine all the risks being trendy by selling a me-too color set.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It could easily be that it was originally a roundie!
All I remember, that the set design didn't impress me. All PC board, series string, transformerless design. If you look at the picture, the panel on the left side of the cabinet was removable and the convergence settings were located which was probably a plus.
By using an all-glass CRT, made a simpler conversion kit, as you didn't need all those insulators needed for a metal CRT.
It seems to me, that many of those sets came from the factory already converted.
BTW, the Sams is dated 1959.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Most of the smaller manufacturers were using the 21AXP22 until the end of 1958. I think Motorola holds the record though, they were producing TS-905 sets well into the early 60s. I've seen ads as late as 1963 for the 21CT2M and 21CK3!
Do you know of date codes in TS-905s approximately that late? While it is entirely possible they were making them that late, I'd be more inclined to think they made a large run in the late 50's that stocked a warehouse, and either realized they were not selling well enough to merit making more, or decided that it would be a good excuse to wait to engineer another chassis until the ones in stock sold.

Last edited by Electronic M; 04-26-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Do you know of date codes in TS-905s approximately that late? While it is entirely possible they were making them that late, I'd be more inclined to think they made a large run in the late 50's that stocked a warehouse, and either realized they were not selling well enough to merit making more, or decided that it would be a good excuse to wait to engineer another chassis until the ones in stock sold.
I know of a 21CK3M with all '62 datecodes on the small signal tubes and '63 in the 21AXP22A. I'll see if the owner wants to post here.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 PM
M is for Memory

I'll take your word for it. Interesting that they kept it in production that long.

Audiokarma
Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
I'll take your word for it. Interesting that they kept it in production that long.
Not that unusual. Look at the CTC-7, CTC-9, CTC-10, and CTC-11. Aside from the tuner, and some slight chroma changes to accomodate the sulfide 21FB and 21FJ tubes, there wasn't a hell of a lot of change in the RCA color lineup from '57/'58 to '62 or so.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Administrator

I have that Sams. Shows a CYP in that set.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

And Sams #357-12, which is pink (for h-22t155, 156, 157a) clearly shows 22EP22.

jr
Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've seen many cases where the Photofact folder could be either pink or not; maybe reprints of older sets? In going through duplicate sets they didn't always match, and some sets used folders that didn't have anything printed on them. "Photofact of the month" subscribers seemed to get things different from the guy who just bought one at a time.