Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC 12 Chroma alignment

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:04 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

The master at color TV RF-IF & Chroma alignment is Len Horowitz... (310) 204-4911. He's in West LA, and has a bench setup for early RCA color alignment. He can probably help you with tips, literature, or even do the job for you. Tell him I sent you!

Charles
Old 11-13-2006, 03:19 AM

I'll scan the instructions and put them up or PM them to you as soon as I can. I probably can't do it until tomorrow evening.

Do you have alignment equipment? What kind?

There are a bazillion pitfalls here, and since I have fallen into nearly all of them myself.....

The AFPC part can be done without anything fancy.That may fix it. Everything else needs sweep and a scope. I wouldn't touch the chroma takeoff coil or the chroma bandpass transformer without all the stuff hooked up.

Have any parts been changed that would screw up the IF alignment? The Chroma alignment depends on that heavily. If you haven't checked the IF alignment, I would start there. I also had a bunch of gassy tubes in the IF strip. Also, one of the 6gh8's was shorted. One of my new ones was bad out of the box.

I have talked to Len also, on Charles' recommendation. He had some really good advice, but I got sidetracked and never quite finished the job, because the HV went away, and then my life got really busy... You should probably talk to him.

I have done the IF and Chroma bandpass stuff so many times I could probably do it in my sleep. Better luck to you.

John
Old 11-13-2006, 07:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Andy.
Do you have all the tube shields in place? When you found the set the tubes were missing if I recall correctly. With the shields missing it will be hard to align the color section and the tint range will be off. Look at the tube socket in the picture. If you see the metel ground tab on the side of the socket it should have a shield on the tube.
I have seen this problem before when I got a set with no tubes and did not replace the shields.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tube shield g pin.jpg (60.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

change caps first

the worst thing to do is start tweeking coils, sometimes its simply a matter of a capacitor being off value, they were also notorious for having choke coils go open, make sure all the voltages are up to specs.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

purity, gray scale

on any of the oldies, always go through and set gray scale, and check purity, if those things are set properly your results will not be accurate.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:32 PM

I had a wee bit of trouble with the scanner last night. How about a xerox through the mail? You have a PM.

John