Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:07 AM
jackson

I want a roundie too !

I never really knew about round screen color sets before I ran across this part of the forums a while back, I knew that really old B&W were round though.

My first old TV I had worth mentioning was a Zenith Chromacolor, it was a hybrid tube, transistor, and IC. I got it for free when my mom's boss got a new TV. I got it looking pretty good but it would loose green now and then, turning the screen purple and you'd have to smack it to make it come back. Eventually after a couple of years it went purple once and stayed that way, then it smoked and got thrown out.

Next I had an RCA B&W console I got at an estate sale for about 10 dollars. It was a mid 60's one I believe, had a nuvistor front end. Was in super shape with great audio from a 6X9 speaker. It kept getting dimmer and dimmer as time went on and I stoped watching it. It got left behind in a move.

Reading all about your TVs on here makes me want to get another old set like when I was a kid. The round color ones would be the coolest ones to have I think, looks more interesting than a square tube and isn't B&W. I go to all of the garage and estate sales all year long and haven't ran across any though (not even any tube rectangular sets) so I think I'm going to pay some visits to some old TV repair shops that are still in buisness see if one of them horded some old sets away.

Jackson
Old 12-08-2004, 05:59 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Start lookin on e-Bay, they show up there from time to time. Another idea is to put a want ad in yr local newspaper-assuming you live in a reasonable-sized town. Lotsa times you can score one for free or very little money if you offer to haul it off. If you happen to run acrost one w/a BIG cabinet & a tiny screen, made by RCA & says CT-100 on the back, you've hit the jackpot. Good luck-you'll turn one up. They're not all that hard to find. Now, working- that's a different story. But most of 'em can be brought back to life. -Sandy G.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:39 PM
jackson

Well I stoped by the two old repair shops here in town today, neither of them had any old sets around. One did say he had some round CRTs still. I asked him if they were new ones, he said they were pulls that tested good way back then. I told him I might come back for them. How much are used/good CRTs worth ? to get them I'd probably have to buy all of them...I tried to gather more information but he wasn't talking much so I ended up making it quicker than I planed.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Where do you live?

I have 9 roundie color sets, and about that many roundie Bw sets. I MAY be willing to part with one or two of my Zenith 66 roundies, (I have 3).I am in the Cincinnati area. Where are you from?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:43 PM
jackson

I'm in central Nebraska, mapquest says its 880 miles to Cincinnati. I'd love to have a '66 Zeinth I could put it next to my black dial Zenith radio, but I don't own a truck to drive that far with.
Audiokarma
Old 12-08-2004, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Those picture tubes are worth saving-it would be ashame to see them go to the dump. If I came upon one around here I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

I have 5 color roundies; I never set out looking for any of them. It was always "right place/right time". One came from the dump, one from an antique mall, one from an indoor flea market, one from a classified ad I answered, one was in a used furniture store. I have maybe $150 invested in the whole group. If I was actively going to look for one I would do regular checks on ebay. If someone within a few hours of you were to put one up for bid chances are good you would be the only one interested. I think it would be different in New York, or Ohio (where there seem to be lots of tv collectors) but you are far enough away where you could get it all to yourself! Of course, if it was an early model (from the 50s) it would be worth the ride for someone.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Those CRT's are definitely worth getting! It costs from $150 to 200 to have one rebuilt, and certainly no more are being made new. I have been lucky enough to find 10 round color sets at old TV shops, estate sales, and garage sales...most were $5 or $10, only one was $20. Some did need new CRT's or new flybacks, though.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 12-09-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jackson, I'm in Omaha, and might part with one of my roundies. They work but need some work to be perfect. do you have any tv repair experiance? pm me if interested. I also have a 23" Motorola "works in a drawer" set and an Admiral 21" Mini console and a 19" Chromacolor 2 I'm trying to get rid of as well.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another person that wants to save a roundie. That is so cool. Hope you get what you want.
Ed