Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

1955 RCA potential value??

Hi folks, I have a friend who does modern TV repair as a small business who informed me that he was given a 1955 RCA color set. He has always been great about turning over the "antiques" that he runs across to me for little or nothing. However, he is no fool and I do not wish to treat him as such. He found a Philco Predicta a few years ago that he was smart enough to hang on to (actually I didn't mind, I think they are ugly).

So last week he told me about this old set that some woman was trying to give him a couple hundred bucks to gut out and mount a flat screen in. Of course I immediatly told him NOT to destroy the set and was honest enough to tell him that the real early color sets are a pretty hot item in the vintage electronics world. Since I didn't know a true price range I told him that he would not lose the couple hundred as I was sure that just the crt would bring that if it was good. I really left the conversation open to the fact that I would get an idea here what the thing potentially was worth to base a "fair market" offer that I may propose to him.

Supposedly the older gentleman bought the TV second hand sometime in the 60's and it worked until it was retired somewhere around the late 70's. He said the condition was "real good." Evidently the good condition sparked the interest of the home decorator female television terrorist.

Perhaps I screwed up by telling him the truth in that the set could be worth up to a thousand bucks. Do they go for MORE than that??

Neither of us are trying to make a killing. I just want to make him a fair offer which unfortunatly has to beat the Bit** Butcher, but naturally I would like to stay low enough where if I want to let go of the set the venture will be to my advantage. The MAIN thing though I think is to make sure Molly Hatchet doesent deface history, and beauty. Anyone agree??

Please advise folks. I told him I need the CTC #. He couldn't remember it at the time. He only remembered the year as 1955 or 6 and said the # was LOW..
Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Mark

It sounds like a CTC 4 most likely unless the set is a 21 ct 55 which uses the CTC 2B chassis. That would also make it the first 21 inch set. Definitely a CTC 4 if it's from '56. Thats the 2nd 21 inch set. Can you find out the model number? I also believe the first run of the CTC 5 was in '56 too IIRC.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Try to do whatever it takes to keep this set from being ruined...there was a '56 RCA on You-Know-Where that was over $800 last nite w/a few hours to go.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Mark

Yes, I agree with Sandy G. These sets are getting very rare and we need to do whatever we can to save them. They are worth quite a bit as well and will only increase in value.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey folks, thanks for the advice. I want to do what I can but honestly, like usual I don't have a lot of room. However, I realize this IS a rare find.

I would be smart to just Goodwill the 59 Zenith that I got stumped on and NOBODY wants in order to make space for the color set.

Really there is no guarantee that my friend will sell the set since I have told him that they are rare, he may investigate value himself. At least if he does keep it I know he will not gut it. He will likely just store it or display it in his living room.

The main thing is to keep the crazy woman from flat screening the thing for a $200!

Perhaps I will offer him $300 and go from there.

I SURE wish I had a way to check the crt before purchase...

On top of everything else the guy has already given me a 60's roundie that we have yet to dig out of a storage building.

Thank God I'm not married!! Probably never will be with a house full of TV's......
Audiokarma
Old 06-21-2008, 02:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
It sounds like a CTC 4 most likely unless the set is a 21 ct 55 which uses the CTC 2B chassis. That would also make it the first 21 inch set. Definitely a CTC 4 if it's from '56. Thats the 2nd 21 inch set. Can you find out the model number? I also believe the first run of the CTC 5 was in '56 too IIRC.
The jury is still out on which RCA model this is.
The 21-CT-55 may have reached dealer's showrooms as early as Christmas 1954 having a fairly short production run. The CTC-4 was first offered for sale in the summer of 1955 with two models, later expanded to four models.

-Steve D.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, no matter WHICH model it is, if its a 1955 or thereabouts color set, more than likely its worth saving.