Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Bob Galanter

The fact that you had beautiful purity in the beginning lends credence to fact that the shadow mask was in the proper alignment when you started working on the set.

Unless the shadow mask got permanently magnetized the purity should have stayed very good provided the mask did not warp.

I recall reading that in the very early days of designing the shadow mask tube, mask warping was an issue. Evidently if the mask heats it can distort, throwing off the purity alignment. Someone even suggested that the amount of current the mask is absorbing might even heat the mask enough to cause warping. If you have ever heated a piece of sheet metal beyond the point of elasticity, you will find that it will have warped when it cools.

This was the first non-round color tube. Due to the fact that it was not round the forces in the shadow mask are not uniformly distributed and perhaps they did not have all the mechanical bugs worked out of the mask design yet.

WE will probably never know why the purity went to heck, but it sure looked real good at the start of the restoration.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

The interesting thing about that set is it looks like something that was made a lot later.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
I recall reading that in the very early days of designing the shadow mask tube, mask warping was an issue. Evidently if the mask heats it can distort, throwing off the purity alignment. Someone even suggested that the amount of current the mask is absorbing might even heat the mask enough to cause warping. If you have ever heated a piece of sheet metal beyond the point of elasticity, you will find that it will have warped when it cools.

This was the first non-round color tube. Due to the fact that it was not round the forces in the shadow mask are not uniformly distributed and perhaps they did not have all the mechanical bugs worked out of the mask design yet.

WE will probably never know why the purity went to heck, but it sure looked real good at the start of the restoration.
It should be remembered that the funnel to faceplate panel seal (with shadow mask in place) was made by some mystery process that likely involved higher temperatures than the FRIT process that was used on later color CRTS. I believe that it was very possible that the (electro seal?) process involved also could have contributed to the instability of the shadow mask observed. The usual cream-colored frit is not apparent on my CRT:

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...6&d=1271460550

Westinghouse yields of this CRT were reported to have been low, process times were long... they likely lost money on every set they sold with the 22EP22.

jr
Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Bob Galanter

I have to believe that the 22ep22 was indeed sealed with frit glass. We are aware that the RCA 21cyp22 was first available in the CTC7 series sets. This RCA data sheet for the 21CY shows a date of 8/57 http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../2/21CYP22.pdf

Based on the date of this link at ETF showing the photo of the 22ep22 http://www.earlytelevision.org/color_crts.html dating the crt at around 1957 I should think that frit was used to seal the 2 piece envelope.

I do not think any method of heating to the point that glass will fuse to itself could work. There are too many issues that could produce uneven stresses in the glass.

KISS principal: frit was available, why try to do something much more difficult.

The fact that you cant see the usual frit line, as a person would see on a 21cyp22, doesn't necessarily mean that frit is not present on the joint and can not be seen.

I don't know what sort of a joint was used in the 22EP22. It could possibly be hidden beyond what you can see by external visual examination.

And thanks for the link to the excellent photo of the side of your 22EP22!

Just my thoughts.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Audiokarma
Old 06-24-2015, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Sams Photofact for the H-22T155 is set 357, #12 dated 5-57, so it is likely that the sets and CRTs were built very early in 1957, pre-dating the 21CYP22 data sheet. I guess the question to be answered is "When did Corning make FRIT available?" or "was there some early type of "solder glass " that could have been used?" I really don't know, but see no evidence of frit on my CRT.

"And thanks for the link to the excellent photo of the side of your 22EP22!"

You are welcome!... Here are a couple more pix:

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...7&d=1271460771

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment...4&d=1271460550

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 06-24-2015 at 01:02 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 06-26-2015, 06:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does anyone by chance have any original Westinghouse service literature for this set? I would be interested in a copy if you do. The set arrives tomorrow just after 1:00pm and I don't think I will sleep a wink tonight I am so excited about it!!!

Gregb
Old 06-26-2015, 11:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

See this thread
http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?p=2954756

Page three

Last edited by baursam; 06-26-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

The set just arrived and it is with GREAT disappointment not an H22T155. It looked like it in the pictures and that is the model number the seller provided me. It is just a run of the mill black and white Westinghouse TV.
I have no idea where the seller got the model number from but the model number on the back of the set isn't even close.
SO SAD!!

Gregb
Old 06-27-2015, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

What a disappointment.
Audiokarma
Old 06-27-2015, 03:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dang! The perils of buying at a distance. Most people are honest, but that's no defense against cluelessness. If it's any consolation, I was recently disappointed in a long distance deal. A guy in another state ran across some one-owner McIntosh audio equipment -- two tube stereo amps, the correct preamp, and correct FM tuner. I made what I considered a fair offer and we traded email for weeks while various locals started stopping by to look. He kept me on the hook until he sold it all to a local buyer. I don't blame the guy -- he didn't owe me anything -- but I still felt let down. I had been imagining what fun it would be restore that stuff and use it.

Always more fish in the sea . . . .

Phil Nelson
Old 06-27-2015, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I guess lets look forward to the next treasure. To be honest I thought it was way to good to be true. Finding any pre 1970 colour set around is like finding hens teeth.

Gregb
Old 06-27-2015, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ouch! That is really sad news... I was hoping that a third specimen would perhaps provide a clue about the stability of the shadow mask.
Do you have a picture of the B/W set that you can post here?... At one time, there was some speculation here that potential collectors passed over 22HT155 series sets, thinking that they were B/W models.

jr
Old 06-27-2015, 04:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is the best picture that I was sent, I had no idea what I was looking at other than it is an old TV. Based on the sellers description stating that it was a colour set and the fact that they were asking such a huge price is what peaked my interest in the first place, so I emailed them asking for a model number and they came back with H22T155. I did some checking on online and it looked to be interesting even though I found no pictures that looked the same, being so rare who knows what could have been sold back in 57.
We came to an agreement on a price and they had to come to where I live for a wedding and offered to deliver it to me so we were good to go. The conditions of the sale being that it is what they say it is.
Better luck next time.

Gregb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Westinghouse.jpg (31.2 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-27-2015, 05:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow! that is really close... I bet that the castings on either side of the jug are identical... I know that I would have wanted to take a very close look at that set! could have easily been the color set with a slightly different color scheme... Also, the blueish tint of the phosphor looks more like color phosphor than B/W.
jr
Audiokarma