Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Old TVs are better!

15 inch Rectangular CRT that used a gun like a 21FJ

Has anyone else ever seen such an animal. Many, many years ago I worked on a Sears table model color that was a 15 inch? rectangular set that had a 70 degree CRT that used the large gun assembly similar to a roundie 21FJ/21FBP22. I believe it was Japanese made and remember thinking it was quite unique. Of course that was at least 25-30 years ago. Repaired it and sent it on it's way and have never seen one like it since. Wonder what model it was, who made it, and are there any still around today. I'd love to get a hold of one of those.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

One mentioned here:
http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...0&postcount=11
jr
Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I had a chance to buy one recently but the lady never responded back. Typical Craigslist flakes
Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterbeers View Post
Has anyone else ever seen such an animal. Many, many years ago I worked on a Sears table model color that was a 15 inch? rectangular set that had a 70 degree CRT that used the large gun assembly similar to a roundie 21FJ/21FBP22. I believe it was Japanese made . . . . Wonder what model it was, who made it, and are there any still around today. I'd love to get a hold of one of those.
I owned one! Bought it new in 1965 to watch the space shots in color. It was a 16 inch and the first low priced set with a rectangular CRT and I hated the round color sets.

http://earlytelevision.org/21_inch_color.html#sears

It is the top two pictures in the 1960 year window.

All hand wired, except for the setup board. This was the most trouble free tube TV that I have ever owned! It was in daily use through the late 1970s and was a backup set through the late 1990s, but when I tested it in about 2002, the sync had grown unstable and I stoopidly thought money would be better invested in a new set and hauled it to the junk yard.

Jas.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

As I recall, those were built by Toshiba and sold by Sears. I had one in the late 1960's and it made a great picture. If memory serves me, the chassis was fairly similar to an RCA CTC-10.
Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

The jug was reported to be a 400KB22... 400 converts to 15.75 inches. Would that have been the external diagonal dimension of the faceplate panel, or that of the actual picture size?... or perhaps some other dimension?

jr
Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

At that time, it should have been the diagonal size of the glass exterior.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyfilm View Post
I owned one! Bought it new in 1965 to watch the space shots in color. It was a 16 inch and the first low priced set with a rectangular CRT and I hated the round color sets.

http://earlytelevision.org/21_inch_color.html#sears

It is the top two pictures in the 1960 year window.
WOW, there's something I never expected to hear from an older member.

Now there's an early tube color set I wouldn't mind having one of.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecruiser View Post
As I recall, those were built by Toshiba and sold by Sears. I had one in the late 1960's and it made a great picture. If memory serves me, the chassis was fairly similar to an RCA CTC-10.
I understand the CRT was also used in some Conrac monitors.
There was a rebuilder in Milwaukee, that used to re-gun those CRT's. They were getting those CRT's shipped in from several surrounding states, as they seemed to be one of the few rebuilders the did them.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:29 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecruiser View Post
Yes. I've had a couple of Toshibas with that tube; I think it's a 400EDB22. I've also seen one Sharp portable with that tube in it, IIRC.

Charles
Old 12-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Bought it new in 1965 . . . . I hated the round color sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KV-1926R View Post
WOW, there's something I never expected to hear from an older member.
I do not and I don't know of any other photographer/cameraman who likes to see their pictures cropped!

For the record:
Before junking the set in 2002, I went to my former parts supplier in Dayton to purchase the sync tube and the horiz osc tube along with capacitors to recap that section and was told that they could not supply the two tubes because they were no longer being made.

I knew nothing of this hobby at the time nor of the non-mainstream parts sources.

James
Old 12-17-2013, 01:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I do not and I don't know of any other photographer/cameraman who likes to see their pictures cropped!

For the record:
Before junking the set in 2002, I went to my former parts supplier in Dayton to purchase the sync tube and the horiz osc tube along with capacitors to recap that section and was told that they could not supply the two tubes because they were no longer being made.

I knew nothing of this hobby at the time nor of the non-mainstream parts sources.

James
You should've tried Sears parts. They might still have some in stock.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:16 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
I do not and I don't know of any other photographer/cameraman who likes to see their pictures cropped!...
James
It's been discussed here before - the cropping of the round tubes hid a lot of bad corner effects produced by the early TK-41 cameras. By the mid 60's, improved precision IMOs and yokes were producing much better results as evidenced in the surviving tapes from the New York World's Fair RCA pavilion. But earlier stuff like the Bell Telephone Hour can be pretty ugly.

[Note: this is a term from the oxymoronic picture rating scale:
1) Pretty
2) Ugly
3) Pretty Ugly ]
Old 12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Old TVs are better!

jr_tech hit the nail on the head. That's the exact model that I remember working on. Wish I could find one of those today in or around the Omaha, NE area. Would love to restore one to working condition. I doubt that there are many around anymore though.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
Yes. I've had a couple of Toshibas with that tube; I think it's a 400EDB22. I've also seen one Sharp portable with that tube in it, IIRC.

Charles
Hey Charles,

I recall buying two of those sets from you, table model version. They were stacked one atop the another in your garage in West L.A. This was years & years ago. I kept them for a while and don't remember how I finally disposed of them.

-Steve D.
Audiokarma