Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
I certainly wouldn't mind a "Made in New Jersey" TV. Alas. those days are long gone. The thing thats frustrating with the TVs today is that they come close to a solid product. If Samsung tested capacitors like in this video, their TVs might have lasted more then 3 years.
I had understood that RCA sets were built in Indianapolis, way early. I don't think the TV's were built in Camden. I think the engineering and testing was probably done there.
RE: RCA's cost cutting: They were one of the last firms to discontinue the use of a power transformer in their TV's. Them and Admiral.
I always liked Motorola products, but I didn't like the idea of all the hot chassis designs, both series string and heater transformers.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
Almost positive the little cheap chinese "Coby" or "jellybean sets".....are only spot checked for QC at best. I've gotten a few "new in box" that end up DOA, usually with no vertical. Almost ALWAYS they turn out to have some REAL pedestrian problem like cold solder joints. I've run across a few where the yoke is REAL OBVIOUSLY not even level...and find the yoke not at ALL loose..and even cemented in that position with that rubbery goop.
One of my buddies worked at Olson electronics in Milwaukee, in the late 60's. He was the service tech for them and I would help him with some of the bench work. Lot of the hi-fi and stereo equipment, didn't work right out of the box. I couldn't see how some of the stuff could even work. Wiring errors, loose connections, you name it. We also had to rewire some of the power supplies, because it failed early from overvoltage. The equipment was built for the Japanese 100 volt mains.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I had understood that RCA sets were built in Indianapolis, way early. I don't think the TV's were built in Camden. I think the engineering and testing was probably done there.
They didn't mention the RCA Sarnoff Lab. But maybe they didn't do any TV work there in 1959, color TV was already out.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

That was a fun little film. I always appreciated the Jam Handy Industrial productions.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar72 View Post
I work with people from all over the world. I'll have to ask someone from out that way how they do it, if I remember, what with the A/C blowing n my face and all...
Swiss-German with farmer ancestry handle heat a bit better than those with English-Scots-Irish ancestry, but I'm all the above and still can't stand blazing sun or humidity. I soaked 4 tee shirts repeatedly climbing my newly-installed antenna tower this weekend.

The Amish farmers around here wear black (wool???) and layers of cotton underneath. I don't understand how they do it but a few have credited their diet of lots of vegetables, etc.
Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
RE: RCA's cost cutting: They were one of the last firms to discontinue the use of a power transformer in their TV's. Them and Admiral.
I always liked Motorola products, but I didn't like the idea of all the hot chassis designs, both series string and heater transformers.
I think RCA built color tv in Bloomington Indiana in the 50's and later at 600 N Sherman in Indy. Maybe somebody knows if they only built B&W in Camden.

My grandfather worked at RCA Camden 1936-39, knew little about electronics, but did final alignments on the radios.
He had to quit and move back to Central PA when the union tapped him to be a "rabble-rouser".
The union invited him to a huge party to "talk strategy", some broad came up behind him with 'er knockers, then the party got busted and he went under the table until everyone left. He told me the story just before he passed in 1993, but never my grandma. She woulda given him hell for havin' a good time and leaving her at home. Funny, they only bought Zeniths after that