Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

1949 Garod 12TZ20 ?

Hello, I just came home with a 1949 Garod 12TZ20 Tabletop. The set is Mahogany. I had originally thought it was a 10" set. The cabinet is pretty good, needs a little veneer re-glued here and there. The chassis has no rust, looks complete (only 1 tube missing). I will try to take some more photo's (this one is the ad from kijiji "a Canadian version of craigslist"). Right now, I'm leaving it in the hall, where I lugged it in by myself and almost got a hernia. This thing weighs a TON. It is missing the inner center knob in the middle. The rest are there. There doesn't seem to be any stickers on it anywhere. I can see what is left of the sticker on the back of the picture tube, but it is faded badly.Of all the other pictures of these sets they seem to have a gold foil "mask" around the picture tube. This has what looks like original "flocked" like material. I probably paid too much, as the owner knew that it was scarce and he had bought it off of the original owner years ago. Any advice is welcome.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1949 Garod 12TZ20.JPG (10.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 03:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

14-16" rectangular conversation of the orig 12" round tube?

jr
Old 02-20-2018, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The tube is rectangular and measures 9 " high and 13" wide. Looks to be about 16"-17" deep front to back. I'm struggling to read what is left of the sticker, but can't without pulling the chassis.
Tony
Old 02-21-2018, 01:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I started to clean the backside with a vacuum and small brush to remove the dust bunnies. There did not appear to be any mouse evidence anywhere except, the most vital part ! It looks as if they worked their way around the outside of the flyback about 1 1/2"- 2" (just on the front) I can't see fine wires exposed but I do see some form of fabric or cloth fibers. I guess a test is in order for the flyback. I managed to download the info from the Radiomuseum website and the schematic has the Garod part number C-9-220 274903 crossing to a Stancor A-8117. The schematic shows the Garod C-9-220 I'm not sure what the 274903 means. It is the actual number, ( in addition to the C-9-220) on the flyback. I am going to do a full re-cap of the set, but I'm not sure if this would prove to be an instant arc, upon power up the way it is. From what I have read on google searches, this is a common flyback used in the RCA 630 and 8TS30 sets. Other tidbits seem to show a Thordarson FLY-1 as workable. There is also a picture of the missing knob, I'm not sure if something similar was used on other sets. Here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garodback.JPG (51.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Garodchew.JPG (51.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Garodflyback.JPG (51.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg GarodFront.JPG (49.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Garodknob.JPG (50.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

274903 is the EIA manufacturer and date code of the part. It shows that the transformer was made by RCA (EIA code 274) in the 3rd week of 1949 (903).

As far as I am aware, all of the TZ models had round CRTs and porthole masks. It is difficult to identify Garod models as all the model information was only on the often missing back cover. This is why they are mis-identified on several websites, Maybe this CRT was a later "upgrade"?

I may have the missing knob. I'll check and let you know.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
274903 is the EIA manufacturer and date code of the part. It shows that the transformer was made by RCA (EIA code 274) in the 3rd week of 1949 (903).

As far as I am aware, all of the TZ models had round CRTs and porthole masks. It is difficult to identify Garod models as all the model information was only on the often missing back cover. This is why they are mis-identified on several websites, Maybe this CRT was a later "upgrade"?

I may have the missing knob. I'll check and let you know.
Tim,
I think your right about Tonys' set. You can see the newer style plate cap on the horizontal output tube. His chassis looks to be a TZ, maybe even a 15. I looked through Riders TV 2 thru 5 to see if there were any matches. Garod did use a 16" rectangle crt in late 1950.
Ed
Old 02-21-2018, 08:29 PM
The Resident Brony

Noice.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well i went ahead and pulled the chassis. This set is Canadian made. All Capacitors including electrolytics are printed Made in Canada. (3-49), the paper caps don't have a date code. The built in radio section has it's own wire wound antenna. I'm still scratching my head about the picture tube. It looks like it is 14EP4 but it is so blurry, i can't be sure. It measures 17" long, 12 1/2" wide and 9 1/2" high. Diagonally it measures 14", The picture tube is also made in Canada (Windsor,.. of all places). I don't think anyone has been in the set to change any capacitors, they all look original. The picture tube number is on the bottom and any trace of original stickers other than the top one are gone. Here are some more pictures.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChassisFront.JPG (48.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg ChassisBottom.JPG (51.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ChassisSide1.JPG (50.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg ChassisSide2.JPG (52.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg PictureTubeMade.JPG (48.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg TubeNumber.JPG (52.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like 14EP4A to me.