Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Found a Videonics VE-1 Video Equalizer

Interesting $10 find this past Saturday, a Videonics VE-1 Video Equalizer from the early '90s with composite and s-video inputs. Allows for basic video adjustments, dubbing in audio from a mic or second VCR, and video effects modes for dubbing from a camcorder. Hooked it up to a VCR and it's pretty neat. Can adjust the picture to improve tapes with poor video quality and enable the video effects during playback. Then dub the tape to DVDR or PC with the unit's enhancements in place.

Even split the screen in half with a raster bar to exhibit the normal and enhanced picture together. The bar can be slid to any measure, so you can slide it over to only a quarter, or half, or completely, or just a tiny sliver, whatever. The "Advanced Modes" button flips through several conversions like B/W, posterized, inverted color, and color bars for calibration. The Paintbrush allows you to dial in and sample any color on-screen and then apply a funky "fill-in" effect with that color. With S-Video input, I can't see why you couldn't up hook a DVD player although I haven't tried that yet. Pics are from a VHS of Collateral Damage (2002). I'm unsure right now if this unit also strips copy protection as a side benefit. Sometimes these types of video "enhancers" and such do even if not advertised.

There seems to be two versions of this unit. Mine (dated 1993) has a standard DC 12V/1A wallwart power jack while some of these have a proprietary jack that looks like a differently pinned S-Video jack. Also mine has the power switch combined with the Split Screen knob, the other variant has a separate switch right above the Audio Mixer sliders. Unsure which model came out first, I think this equalizer first debuted in 1990, for a price of $350.

Connections:

Composite Video 2IN/1OUT
S-Video 1IN/1OUT
Stereo RCA Audio 2IN/1OUT
MIC 1IN
CONTROL (GPIO) 1IN
Power 12V/1A

Last edited by Damnation; 04-26-2016 at 07:08 AM.