Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:10 PM
Looking For Time

As long as the player is still set up to obtain an IP address via dhcp you'll be fine just plugging it in to Ethernet and navigating the on-screen menu to the update. If the previous owner set the player up for a static IP address, which is unlikely, you'll have to tell it to obtain its ip address via dhcp instead.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Well, meanwhile I picked up an Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player locally got a really good deal on it. But it has not had its firmware updated in 5 years. Contacted Oppo they said best is hook to the internet and update from there. This is where I get clowdy. I have ATT U-verse and the gateway modem has 4 ethernet ports, one only is used going to this computer. Do I just need to plug the Oppo player into an unused ethernet port, power it on and it will automatically find a connection and do its thing as prompted in the update menu? This updating apparently is pretty common with most if not all brands of blu-ray players.
Try here: OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Update

You can stick the firmware on a USB thumb drive or burn a firmware CD-R to update the player, both real easy and require no Internet connection.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:29 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Thanks for the info.

Turned out I was making a big deal out of it for naught. I plugged in an ethernet cable between the Oppo and the U-verse modem, turned on the Oppo, it automatically connected, and first screen that came up said updates were available selected Yes to update and let 'er rip! A few min later all was done, Oppo powered itself off at the end of the update. Checked it after and has all the latest and greatest revisions. Pretty darned cool!

This update fixed an audio dropout problem it had playing regular CDs. But HDCDs and regular DVDs would play 100% all day long which dismissed a weak laser pickup as the culprit. A quick Google search found a few others as far back as 2009 noting this problem. Anyway all done and fixed now!

Still debating whether to send off the dead 981HD player, the original subject of this thread, and have them fix it for the flat rate.

Last edited by Ed in Tx; 12-27-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oppo is not a good company in my opinion. Their support is horrendous. 4 employees in the USA. Everything else is overseas. So do the math. Those 4 do everything repair/warranty/support wise.

Speaking from experience. My Oppo 103d has been a pain and support very disturbing. They have gotten abusive and suggested I simply sell the unit to someone else. Not kidding. After running thru several issues they admitted the unit doesn't seem to be working correctly and suggested I sell to someone else.

I dont know if they were better in the past but tmy experience is a dog slow unit with horrid networking issues and support that is less than professional/ethical.

Of course google Oppo problems and the numbers speak for themselves. Plenty of problems and unsatisfied customers. Just my 2 cents as I wouldn't buy anything from them again.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:30 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Seems like most folks I read about are pretty happy with their Oppos and the support. I thought their support answering emails usually within a couple of hours even on Saturday was pretty good. when I asked about a known loading tray problem with the BDP-83 models they offered to fix it maybe even free. I asked instead they send me a loading belt and they did, free! I decided the BDP-83 is such a nice player I bought a second one, a SPECIAL EDITION version, for the stereo system.

And they would fix my dead 981 for $49 if I wanted to go to the trouble to send it to them. Few is any consumer electronics companies support old product like that.
Audiokarma
Old 01-25-2016, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oppo has always offered "more". More features, more discs supported, better picture. I would say any "Oppo" product is worth fixing.