Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a mid 90's Panasonic Superflat that has a top-notch picture. I do not own any flat screens aside from a lousy 7" portable. Tuner in it sucks.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

the only tv I have is a 1968 Magnavox Theatre Combo- color all-tube set, with the concealed sliding doors. I dont watch tv everyday, but I watch a few times a week for about two hours. With the digital converter the is picture is actually pretty good. I was thinking about getting a flat screen but I realized I dont watch tv that much and it might clash with the living room decor.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbivy View Post
Well ive ONLY crt tv's for use. My "big" tv is a 1981 25" magnavox console in the bedroom. Just really wish my 4 year old nephew hadnt lost my remote for it.. Cant seem to find out how id get a replacement for it.
Have you tried a universal remote? If your set is 1981 vintage a universal may work every bit as well as did the original, except you may not be able to use some of the advanced features of the TV with anything other than the set's own remote.

I'd look around the bedroom for your set's original remote. Perhaps your nephew just hid it somewhere. I think the remotes for that vintage Magnavox TV are good-sized units and are not easy to lose track of.

Good luck.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Demi-God of Brilliant BS!

I daily watch a 31 (I think) inch Sanyo from WalMart that has been one of my best purchases, ever.

It must be 10-12 years old?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

My kid is watching the "Sylvania" (Funai) 6427GFF as I type this, a 19" Daewoo is still used daily in another bedroom, and a 13" Zenith color ($6 at a thrift store!) not-quite-daily use in the kitchen,

I'm watching my typewritten words on a CRT monitor right now, and do so at work.

Almost everyone around me uses CRT's as well:

Mother: 20" DVD/VCR/TV combo daily, older 25" in basement when grandkids are over.

Brother 1 & fam: 25" Sanyo in living room and two 13" in bedrooms (not only a CRT-only home, but an OTA-only home as well)

Sister & fam: Not sure if 51" rear projector is three CRT or "light engine", not DLP.

(Brother 2 and fam are plasma-only)

In-laws: 27" CRT in family room, 19" CRT in bedroom.

Childhood friend: 32" in living room, 27" upstairs, both OTA-Only.
Audiokarma
Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 AM
M is for Memory

The only non-CRT displays here are for the computers.
My daily drivers are a Silvertone roundy and a Zenith CCI hybrid.
If I can get my freshly homemade computer to send a signal from it's S-video output I just may store it's FP monitor and use one of my CRT sets.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM
sampson159

since i got the sliders from bryan,i am currently watching my rca xl100 from 1973.retired the chromacolor II and in my garage the watcher is a zenith system 3 remote console with an inline crt.the picture is amazing!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

36" trinitron fd phillips 27 and insignia lcd the sony has the best picture
Old 09-09-2011, 02:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

No flat panels unless you count the Nokia e71 in my hand. No computer for eight years either. 27" Philips from Craigs list with component inputs for daily watcher. 20" first Sony XBR from thrift shop for $17 in spare bedroom. Two 12" crts in the kitchen and basement (storm tv). My home is a hybrid of cable and OTA, I can quit cable whenever I want or need. The funny thing is I'm 41 and was one of the first to drop my land line and computer, although I'm thinking of DSL to preserve our bandwidth and stream Netflix.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

I still use a CRT telly, a 2000s Tevion 68cm stereo colour TV set which is my main set for watching programs in colour. For B&W I use my 1969 PYE 12" B&W TV. The main reason I still use a CRT for viewing is because:
A- most of what I watch is 4:3 and predates the 1990s
B- CRT tellies hide most of the visible digital artifacts in compressed DVDs unlike digital flat screens that show them warts and all
C- I really couldn't be bothered upgrading for the above two reasons
D- not within my budget range
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

My daily driver is a Sony KV-20FS100 with a flat faced CRT manufactured May 2002, and it has a great picture. I also have a 1977 Magnavox console with T-995 chassis, still working with it's original parts, and remote control. I usually watch it once a month. Last I use my first tv, a 1976 Panasonic CT 216A given to me by my Mom in 1985 or so for NES gaming.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE post-Portacolor but skinnier on top of the kitchen fridge. Early to mid-80's 9" or 10". All click VHF/UHF tuners running on a Comcast mini-box. Stripe CRT and all SS. Screams Toshiba. No hope of digging out the model number up there. Remember Fibber McGees' closet. The most accurate color reproduction I have ever seen and strong after 25 years. Ebay find for pocket change three years ago. Runs daily AM and PM.

And the den set is a Sony KV-34XBR910 Superfine Pitch CRT HD set...and has a ATSC/QAM tuner. Works fine with basic Comcast must-carry HD. Bought it from a Sony exec. Not much viewing there during the summer baseball season. Whatta pic. Phosphers forever! It does tend to loose the channel lineup after no use. Re-scanning fixes that. And if anyone knows how to do a electrostatic focus adjustment, let me know. It is a bit soft and I do not want to mess with the menu adjustments...unless I have to.

Last edited by Dave A; 09-13-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 AM
On Land

I still don't own anything modern. In the living room, I'm either watching a 1984 Curtis Mathis or a 1957 Philco Diamond D with Dish TV box. Simply don't have a need for anything new yet.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Right now, my daily watcher is a Toshiba 14" flat screen CRT set. Bought it at the GW for the Princely sum of $6.50, including tax. It must have been one of their higher end sets, as it has three sets of input jacks. Built in February, 2004. I use a Harmon-Kardon Computer speaker system plugged into the earphone jack, as the internal speakers are tiny, and a low power output stage.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have two analog CRT sets: Zenith Sentry 2 (1995) and RCA CTC185 (1999). Both sets are now in storage since I bought an Insignia (Sylvania) 19" flat screen HDTV for my living room last month. I still use a 17" Hewlett-Packard CRT monitor, however, on my computer; as long as it works, it stays.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-14-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Audiokarma