Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

What's the oldest daily watcher anyone had? My oldest living room watcher was a '59 Magnavox 24" B&W combo.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Toshiba is only a 2005 model. How far back does everyone sit from their sets? Thanks for any info.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 PM
M is for Memory

My oldest daily watcher is a 1961 Zenith 29JC20 roundy color....When I get my 1955 CTC-4 going right it'll probably get bumped to daily status too.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-13-2016, 10:17 PM
electronics packrat

My oldest daily watcher was a '59 Admiral 21" console.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

My bedside TV is a 27" Sony Trinitron with integral digital tuner. It is connected to two attic antennas, one aimed at Toledo and Bowling Green directly into the tuner and the other aimed at Detroit with a pre-amp into a converter box. It is used every morning and often at night.

A 13" "Sansui" in the kitchen is also connected to the Detroit antenna. It is used a little less than the bedroom set.
Audiokarma
Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Still watching the 'ol Samsung!

And I still gotta give huge thanks to radiotvphononut, for the advice about the flybacks being a problem on this set. Saved me grief cause sure enough it failed. Bought the recommended one, and yep, still working today.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:10 AM
I love old stuff

I do have an L.C.D. monitor for my computer. But this because I need to protect my eyes. Otherwise, woul have had been C.R.T. f.t.w.
Regarding tv sets, I still have only C.R.T. in the house. In current use: oldest: sept. 1988 made "Hitachi" (Made in Singapore...); newest: circa 2002-2003 "Hyundai" small (15"-17"?) Made in... Turkey (by "Vestel" I think).
Between them: the 12-12-2000 bought "Sony" Trinitron KV-21FT2K.
My nickname is turned on just a few times a year. Preservation reasons + since it have nothing digital into it, the image flickers and my eyes suffer.
A lot of people say to me why I don't get a L.C.D. set. Why?
1) I don't watch television so much, so no need to invest in one. In audio I would invest, because I do spent more time listen to music then watching tv;
2) My recorded media (V.H.S., L.D., D.V.D.) is in standard definition so I do need a standar definition set. Well, I would like a 16:9 C.R.T. tv set for 16:9 stuff (21" screen is to small for that), but is no room for it.

In the future probably will be an L.C.D. set for H.D. stuff, but this isn't a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Look what is happening to vintage Hi-Fi equipment. 15 years ago, I used to see '60's tube Hi-Fi stuff at the hamfest & antique radio swap meet that no one was interested in. Now, those old tube Hi-Fi units are often going for big bucks. I should have bought that Fisher 500C back when the price was low. Even some of the solid state stereo equipment from the '70's is soaring in price.

Catalin radios are the same way. 20 years ago, most collectors turned their noses up at Catalin sets. Now, they are a high demand item. I'm even seeing radios from the '50's and '60's go for high prices. This is especially true of the colored ones in good condition.

I suspect the same thing will happen with the TV's that most people think are worthless now. It may take 30 years; but, I'm sure it will happen.
Same in Romania. Old stuff that was dumped up untill few years ago nowdays have big price.
One day more modern tv sets will become collectible.

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 07-14-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:25 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose14
Still using a 27'' Toshiba as a daily watcher I have a old plasma in another room.I go back and forth. Crt might have better colors,blacks ,depth of picture is superior. Anyone else still have a crt as their main tv?
I love my CRT Rose,Im glad you do also

Quote:
Originally Posted by old coot88
Mine's a 20" Sony Wega too. It was the subject of this earlier thread discussing the bizarre "self ressurection" of its CRT. It's still going strong.
Excellent,thats good hearing!! (Nothing BIZARRE about it however)
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Apprentice Necromancer

My daily driver here at my college dorm is a 1984 19" Sylvania Superset with E32 chassis. Bright, beautiful picture with all original components. I rescued it from the local e-waste recycling shed shortly after moving in. My building has analog coaxial cable from the wall so just screw it in and I get every channel, no digital set-top box required. I have a Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis sitting on top, both hooked up, with SD flash cartridges so I can load up whatever game I want. It's everything I need.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:16 AM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
My daily driver here at my college dorm is a 1984 19" Sylvania Superset with E32 chassis. Bright, beautiful picture with all original components. I rescued it from the local e-waste recycling shed shortly after moving in. My building has analog coaxial cable from the wall so just screw it in and I get every channel, no digital set-top box required. I have a Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis sitting on top, both hooked up, with SD flash cartridges so I can load up whatever game I want. It's everything I need.
Noice!

If and when I actually watch tv, you can bet it's on a CRT. I'm rockin' a late model Sony Trinitron, it's no classic, but it has a great picture, and sound. But all my computing, and gaming, is done on a crt monitor. LCD monitors just don't do it for me.
Audiokarma
Old 10-07-2017, 03:20 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Very nice to hear both of you

Welcome ashore Freon!!!
Old 10-07-2017, 08:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

I currently have 5 tv with CRT running everyday since longtime. ( 2 old Toshiba, a Panasonic, and 3 B&W tvs . on 5 inch , a 10 inch and a 19 inch . All my tvs work ) I have no flat panel (screen ) except for my computer . I don't like the new TVs anyway . I have no modern phones and all my phones have a spining dial except some contempra wit push-button .. .. all my 5 radios are old and vintage and work great. In short, I do not have anything modern in my apartment except to have the cable for television by a provider because here in Quebec, we can no longer pick up the local channels on an outdoor antenna for a few years. All this for the benefit of the damned cell phones I imagine !
Old 10-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Местное и дх радио

I don't own a flatscreen so i regularly watch my 1966 zenith space command 300 and a 1983 GE color.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I love both your replys
Old 10-08-2017, 11:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

I watch my Motorola 19k14wa B&W console nearly daily, a Maggotbox 13" digital tuning CRT (from '07?) in the bathroom, a Trinitron broadcast monitor for video dubbing/Commodore 64, A LaCie/Mitsubishi 21" computer monitor, and a JVC D-ILA projector and big roll up screen for High Def.

Hopefully LCD will be obsolete soon, it's had too many flaws from the get go, and is just barely getting "good"

If I had the room I'd set a dual Electrohome Marquee 9xxx stack for pure 1080p 60hz CRT goodness!

I had an Electrohome ECP but it was a piece of crap that went up in flames, too bad because it had a great picture, very crispy with Laser Disc and Blu-ray.
Audiokarma