Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2018, 12:15 PM
<----Zenith C845

The decline of TV newscasting in Cleveland

I am wondering what on earth has happened to the quality of TV newscasts in Cleveland. The newscasters on all three local stations sound and look as if they do not belong on TV--I am not kidding. I am almost 62 years of age, and remember when Cleveland TV news was delivered by newscasters with decent voices and who looked half decent as well. Nowadays, the newscasts on all three network affiliates, including Fox (!), look and sound like poorly-done high-school video productions; again, I am not joking. Who do these people think they are? After all, these people are professional newscasters on professional TV stations, not high-school kids on a closed-circuit video production.

Is this kind of low-quality TV newscasting unique to Cleveland, or do other cities have this problem as well? As I said, I am old enough to remember when Cleveland television newscasters had decent voices, looked like they belonged on TV, and knew something about the proper manner in which to report the day's news. What on earth is the problem? Has Cleveland become such a low-class city that it has stooped to this level of TV newscasting? I am convinced that Cleveland is one of many smaller cities where most people starting out in the business begin their broadcasting careers; very few Cleveland newscasters these days ever make it to the network level or to network affiliates in larger, more important cities the likes of Detroit, Chicago, New York or Los Angeles, though I am sure there was a time when they used to. My cable TV service was messed up a while ago; for awhile (longer than I care to remember), I was getting local TV from Cincinnati, Ohio instead of from Cleveland. I noticed that Cincinnati's TV newscasters, at least the ones on WLWT, the city's NBC affiliate, seemed much more "polished" than those in Cleveland, 150-200 miles catty-corner upstate. Why do the TV newscasters in Cincinnati look and sound so much more professional than the newscasters in Cleveland? Again I wonder--has Cleveland become such a low-class city, concerned with little else other than rock and roll, the noise broadcast over the radio that passes for music these days, that they just do not care about quality anything anymore?

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-15-2018 at 12:24 PM.