Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Apparently, Arkay built a set named the Fantasia that is similar to the Kuba Komet, but not the same.

Kuba and Arkay were different companies, so you shouldn't mix up the names. (In other words, there was no "Kuba Fantasia" or "Arkay Komet.")

Phil Nelson
Old 08-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wonder if Kuba was trying to get into the apparently HUGE market for American servicemen & women who wanted to send home a neat Chermin radio...I wish Rohde & Schwarz had been so tempted...I've talked to a number of folks who've told me that big radio was the high point of their deployment But 15,20 years on,a goodly number of those radios were still in service. Amazing how they got such great sound & reception out of so few tubes...
Old 08-26-2017, 05:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I happen to love these mid-century winged cabinets. In all my years I've never heard of an American counterpart of the Kuba Komet. If one ever turned-up it would likely go straight into a museum of art. Hard to find a more space-age looking piece than that!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Oh my...

What's with the trellis and picket fence, was this supposed to be used on your back porch? No wonder none are left.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
What's with the trellis and picket fence, was this supposed to be used on your back porch? No wonder none are left.
It obviously is a photo from some consumer trade show. I would bet the set was a one-off piece for the show. It's just too wild for any company to expect to make a profit on.
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2017, 11:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't sit on the left side. You wont hear anything.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
It obviously is a photo from some consumer trade show.
Exactly, but it's decorated like Grandmas back yard.

If you're trying to sell bleeding edge Moderne shouldn't you decorate with the latest ultra hip decor from Eames, Saarinen and other eBay catchphrases?
Old 12-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Wonder if Kuba was trying to get into the apparently HUGE market for American servicemen & women who wanted to send home a neat Chermin radio...I wish Rohde & Schwarz had been so tempted...I've talked to a number of folks who've told me that big radio was the high point of their deployment But 15,20 years on,a goodly number of those radios were still in service. Amazing how they got such great sound & reception out of so few tubes...
Rohde & Schwarz never made consumer anything. Only instrumentation, military, or broadcast grade gear. The closest in radio that that ever got and sold new to the consumer at any price, was the USA built REL Precedent FM tuner, which was short lived due to the fact that they lost money on every one of them, a lesson a certain Saul B. Marantz didn't heed when he introduced the Model 10 and 10B FM tuners, who's cost overruns and losses sustained cost Saul the Marantz Company and forced the sale to SuperScope in 1964. REL wisely ended the Precedent and went back to their normal line of business.