Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:11 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Unhappy I'm beginning to think color sets are more trouble than they're worth.

While watching my Zenith roundie which gets very light usage, the vertical collapsed for a second then came back. It often jitters at the top an bottom as though the raster is about to collapse the vertical. This is about the fourth time I have had vertical problems with this set caused by varoius things. My tube type black and white sets while not immune to breakdowns are far more reliable with even more use. Also I noticed that the convergence needs touching up and the greyscale needs to be tweaked as well. I'm thinking it is just a little bit too maintenance intensive.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:06 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Did you clean out/replace the vertical height pot? They are prone to tin whiskers and being noisy due to age, but it could also be the vert position pot. Should be an easy fix.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
vertical height pot? They are prone to tin whiskers
Funny you should mention that. This week I was working on a 1930s Stewart Warner radio that had a serious case of dendrites inside a potentiometer:

"Dendrites" are the fuzzy, bristly stuff growing down from above, in that view. (At least in NASA terminology. They use the term "whisker" for a slightly different phenomenon, the growth of a long, single metal hair rather than a bunch of fuzz.)

First time around, I opened up the pot case and gave it the usual DeOxit treatment without looking very closely. When problems persisted, I reopened it and discovered all that cute metal fuzz making intermittent shorts inside.

Dendrites clean off easily, but you can't count on simple spraying to get rid of them. They (or whiskers) can also form on the outside of a control, making a short from the control case or terminals to chassis or some other components.

Yet another reason to clean, clean, clean these old chassis, especially if they have been in a moist environment.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

BINGO!!! That was the problem with my Admiral 26R12. The height collapsed and the control did not "control" the voltage. A good cleaning of the pot fixed it. It was my first experience with tin whiskers...

Please, Don't give up...
Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe most if not all Zenith roundies had a dual section 3 lead disc capacitor in the vertical circuit. When it would start to go, you could have all kinds of goofy vertical problems. If it were flat out bad the vertical would pull up from the bottom. As I recall, hitting it with circuit freeze sometimes worked when there were weird symptoms.
If the set came in with a vert problem that was the first thing suspected, and many times the problem. I replaced a lot them as preventive maintenance.
Good luck.
Phil
Audiokarma
Old 03-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Imagine all of the problems and headaches that the new flat screen TVs are all going to have. All electronics are now required by government regulations to use pure tin parts. Tin whisker city!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Technohippie

The tin whiskering problem is why high reliability equipment like military and space hardware was specifically exempted from the lead-free solder requirements of the RoHS agreements.

Lots of scary pictures and technical data on tin whisker issues here:

http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/
Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Note: 'supposed' to be exempt. I had a circuit card from a piece of MH-53 gear give me issues that I eventually traced to a tin whisker on a power diode. It was shorting to ground. Apparently the contractors didn't get the memo. lol No usually a huge deal because most stuff is conformal coated anyhow, but not all.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

restoring these old sets really isn't much differenct than restoring old cars. Tube sets by their nature generated much more heat which helped increase failure rate. Couple that with the fact that any existing sets today have components that have far exceeded their original shelf life. That's why I don't throw anything away because the chances of finding replacements are getting few and far between
Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well.... I love em, but they CAN be a pain in the ass. I remember as a kid working in my Uncles shop (and getting to go on housecalls!) that it wasn't uncommon to have to service some sets 3 times a year. This was in the early 80's and even then we pushed to get some customers to "move up" to a solid state set. In 1980 a CTC-16 would have been 15-16 years old, and the worst RCA chassis (CTC-38) would have been about 12. My memory of all the sets that got pitched has caused me to grab em now when I find one at an estate sale. Now.. 30+ years later, I'm sure age hasn't been kind to the components of the tube sets we love. I couldn't imagine using one as an exclusive daily driver now...........
Audiokarma
Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Both of my Zeniths, a M and an N chassis have eaten their vertical output transformers. The M ate a second Zenith vertical output. I replaced all with Thordarson and so far they are fine. They started off with a slightly jumpy vertical then went to what looked like severe interference and overheating resistors in the vertcal output stage. The convergence winding was leaking to the primary winding.
Tin whiskers have mainly showed up in my old Admiral black and whites.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
Both of my Zeniths, a M and an N chassis have eaten their vertical output transformers. The M ate a second Zenith vertical output. I replaced all with Thordarson and so far they are fine. They started off with a slightly jumpy vertical then went to what looked like severe interference and overheating resistors in the vertcal output stage. The convergence winding was leaking to the primary winding.
Tin whiskers have mainly showed up in my old Admiral black and whites.
My Zenith 25MC33 chassis has been through two vertical output transformers too. Mine had thenexact same symptoms and failure mode.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Motorola Minion

I like to think the sets we all still have are the survivors among all the lemons.

Reality is that every manufacturer used a few lousy parts somewhere and sets got junked for something as simple as a single generic part or as justified as a bad kinescope. The sets we have are here because of our preservation interest more than performance or economy.

I junked alot of sets 30+ years ago due to bad flybacks or CRTs rather than hold them and wait for a found part that didn't cost as much as the Jobber quoted.
A nice big warehouse would have been the ticket for saving the all the collective good parts.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

I don't begrudge the sets for their appetites. We've gotten used to the BPC's running 10+ years without problem and then their flybacks crash and they go to the trash. I use my tube colors about 5 hours a week, mostly to watch something good (not the usual nite time TV). The hungriest piece I have is a McIntosh MI-3 scope. If there is a 6EA8 tube within ten feet of it, it's like a cat on a mouse! It goes thru them quite regularly! Most docile is my RCA KCS 166 black and white portable. It just works.
Now to see how hungry my RCA "Latham" is going to be
Old 03-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Quote:
.....In 1980 a CTC-16 would have been 15-16 years old, and the worst RCA chassis (CTC-38) would have been about 12.....
I had a CTC38 that I used as a daily driver for quite a number of years in the late 70's and 80's. One of the best and most reliable TVs I ever owned, for what it's worth...
Audiokarma