Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Any updates on RACS rebuilding early CRTs?

A comment in another topic reminded me of the RACS project to rebuild more 15GP22 CRTs beyond the first (successful and still-good) one, and I also do not remember if they either already rebuild 21AXP22s or if those are in an experimental stage at the company. Do any of you know the answers to these questions? Also, have prices for rebuilding either of these tube types been made available? Thanks.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

http://www.earlytelevision.org/2010_...tion_RACS.html

As far as I know (and Bob will correct me if he has time), him and John have a pallet of 15G's that are being shipped to France for a rebuilding run. I don't know if they have left our shores yet or any specifics, but right now that's the plan. As stated in the above link, the difficulty still lies in the leaks located in the ultor rings. We know RACS can fix leaks with frit, but that will not work to seal a leaking weld. When I last talked to Bob he was throwing around ideas like using an anodizing process to attempt to fill the microscopic pinholes in the ultor ring, but I believe he is still 'at the drawing board' on that one. Sounds like an interesting alternative to the extremely difficult process of an actual weld, which probably would create more leaks than it seals.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thank you for that link. I had read the original page but had not returned to it for updates.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hmmm.. I wonder if I could have my 20BP4 included in the shipment if it has not happened yet? I decided against paying freight for just one tube, and have been waiting for an opportunity to combine with other shipments.

The 20BP4, of course, is not a color tube, but it is a unique DuMont early black and white CRT that RACS can rebuild (I have quote in hand). Transportation is the only issue. I can ship within the U.S. by FedEx Ground at very reasonable price; it's the trip to France that is problematic without combined shipping.

If we combine shipping, everybody wins by splitting the high fixed cost.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 AM

Call Steve McVoy, I understand they are trying to get many tubes of all types together for shipment in the event that setting up tube rebuilding at ETF is not possible.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have a CRT in this game, but out of curiosity, is there a scheme to return them to the US as a group?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:30 PM
M is for Memory

From what I read on the ETF site they seem to have card board cartons for the individual CRTs and a larger crate that will fit the number of 15GP22 containing cartons that they plan to ship, so they will probably have RACS repackage it back into it's original packaging material (provided that none of the packaging gets damaged on the way there) for the return trip.

Because they already have a crate designed to fit the number of cartoned up 15Gs they are planning to send I seriously doubt that they will be able to add Tom Albrecht's 20BP4 into the over seas crate, but I could be wrong.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-23-2011, 11:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

speaking of which, whatever happened to the ETF rebuilding efforts? it seems like it sorta died with the wind.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
speaking of which, whatever happened to the ETF rebuilding efforts? it seems like it sorta died with the wind.
My understanding from their site was that they a) ran out of tubes they could risk, and b) are having problems with sealing the previously mentioned ultor ring leaks. It sounds like the electroplating idea might well work- if not they'd need some sort of thin flowable sealant they could gently vacuum in to the leaks and let cure (UV or IR-cure?) to fix the problem.

I too have my hopes up they solve it, it would definitely be a relief to everyone sitting on a leaky tube that they can still get (near) original tubes!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 AM

I think he was talking more about rebuilding in general, in which case there is a 'committee' that was set up to deal with the issue. They are looking at locations mostly, and there's also the logistical aspects of it. It has been suggested that tubes be rebuilt and placed for sale, rather than rebuilding tubes sent to ETF. It's all very much up in the air at this point, no pun intended.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
M is for Memory

A big issue of just picking up random vintage tubes, rebuilding them, and selling is that who knows which tubes will sell and which won't. Also if that came to pass someone who has a rare or uncommon tube that they don't want to send to France would have to sell their tube to the ETF, hope the rebuild works, and hope they can buy it back without someone else getting their hands on it first.

I do have a down to air 17" monochrome rectangualr I salvaged from a junker which I'd like to give them for practice, and to get it out of my garage.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 PM

The ones being considered are common ones, such as the 10 and 12" tubes, and of course the 21" colors tubes. It's not like they'd be rebuilding anything willy nilly, hoping it would sell. Only parts with a garunteed return are being considered. But again, I'm not the spokesperson so don't take what I say literally.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Administrator

The 21" Predicta tube would sell, I need two of them myself.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Once upon a time on Scotty's site it was stated that the Predica tube was the most common antique tube he rebuilt over the years.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:07 AM

Probably because they are an iconic set, which usually got run into the ground from use.