Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Boy you were lucky on that one hi volt. I shouldn't complain too much about them as they were our "bread and butter" in the repair field. But man.. they loved to eat flybacks and 6GH8's. That and the CTC-39 were RCA's last console TV tube chassis and RCA really went "on the cheap" when they cranked those out. However.. you could usually repair em in-house because for the most part it WAS a 6GH8, and if it was a flyback.. one of the easiest tube chassis to remove.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Motorola Minion

RCA introduced the 2-board "cheap chassis" as a space saving to make the first 19" sets, the CTC19, then as a budget set, the last roundie CTC20, then the CTC 24, 31, 38 and 39. There were dogs and some lived longer, trouble-free lives.

A theory why some RCA's ate flybacks: All the substitution books said a plain ol' 3A3 could be replaced by a 3A3C, but it was shorter by 1/8", preventing the plate cap from fully seating into the fly. The resulting arcing was sometimes evidenced by poor horizontal lock.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

The 19's were definitely junk but put a lot of bread on the table.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
Boy you were lucky on that one hi volt. I shouldn't complain too much about them as they were our "bread and butter" in the repair field. But man.. they loved to eat flybacks and 6GH8's. That and the CTC-39 were RCA's last console TV tube chassis and RCA really went "on the cheap" when they cranked those out. However.. you could usually repair em in-house because for the most part it WAS a 6GH8, and if it was a flyback.. one of the easiest tube chassis to remove.
I never thought the CTC38,39's were that bad. The only HV rectifiers I had in my caddie were 3DB3's. Just about every RCA was hard on flybacks. The 19's 24's, 31's and the 20's were not as good as the 38 family. I have a CTC51K that isn't that great either.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM
60s Throwback

Would you happen to know the Thordarson number for the vertical output transformer for the 24NC31Z chassis? I had mine rebuilt, but it still acts up.
Audiokarma
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by consoleguy67 View Post
Would you happen to know the Thordarson number for the vertical output transformer for the 24NC31Z chassis? I had mine rebuilt, but it still acts up.
I have the 25MC33 chassis and the Thordarson part number is 26S61 which is a direct replacement for Zenith part number 95-2139. I don't know if your chassis uses the same part but I offer the information just in case.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, they ARE...That's why is sO GREAT when somebody restores one to its original glory & sets it up right...
Old 04-02-2012, 08:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thordarson transformer

My 25nc38 has (had) a 95-2345 vertical output transformer. The thordarson is a 26S44. I've been using it a while now and it works fine!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Motorola Minion

Speaking of diehard Zeniths....My Aunt/Uncle had a Zenith 25MC33 (36??) it was ALWAYS on. It stayed on through lightning storms and everything else - I remember saying to my mom, see we don't need to turn the TV off during a storm!

They traded it on a slider-tuned-varactor Zenith in 1977 before I knew it. Saw my Aunt to show the her our new baby girl last Saturday and I asked about that set. I confirmed what I remember from many years back. (No wonder I never saw one at the curb, I only fixed a few Zenith Roundies, and get one for my collection in a heart beat!)

It was bought with wedding money in 1965, The store that sold it also sold most Zeniths to our family and, on rare occasions, serviced it as they did my parents and grandma's TV's, both 1971 Zeniths. The Owner made the house calls but had a good bench tech at the shop. I wanted to work for him, too. My Aunt said they only had it worked on a few times and not because it quit, no, it was tuner cleaning, weak tubes and control touch-ups usually done at once.

He said the reason this old roundie lasted so long was that it was left ON ALL DAY as opposed to OURS and grandma that turned TV on only to watch something (kind of what us collectors do today) and off again several times IN a day. Off when the news was over, off for mealtimes, off when the sun came out......kinda hard on everything when you think about it.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 04-04-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo