Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:07 AM
VK Member

East German color tv monitor with 21CYP22A

Hello,

on the German ebay, a vintage monitor is offered with an RCA crt 21CYP22A. Item number 300024399641. This monitor is very heavy. Does somebody know which brand or type is it? Is it imported from U.S.A. and adapted to East German standards or is it an own East German development?

Regards,
Eckhard
Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Definitely some kind of vintage commericial monitor.The large white bezel around the CRT reminds me of a Sylvania Halolight. Interesting how it masks the round 21CYP22 down to a rectangular viewing area. The point to point wiring and layout look very primative.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:13 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Fascinating piece.

Notice the tube lineup. There was no Euro-subbing of tubes in the H-V cage: 6AU4, 3A3, and the good old American 6BK4.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

here's the link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3D50%26fvi%3D1
Old 09-07-2006, 06:07 AM
VK Member

It is an experimental tv monitor, probably made in the G.D.R. In this context: the East Germans had built an own roundie-crt, the B43G4C, a 70° roundscreen 17" tube. Only some prototypes were manufactored but were never installed into color tv sets. These remaining crts were used for homebrew color tv sets. The people get the schematics from Western Germany journals and they take b/w chassis and added the boards and circuits for color. A quartz for color subcarrier was hard to get. They used old quartzes from russion walkie-talkies and grind them until they reached the correct frequency values. It is absolutely incredible for us what was possible in the Eastern countries behind the iron curtain.
The entire story is written in a German forum:

http://www.razyboard.com/system/thre...8-3591332.html

Kind regards
Eckhard
Audiokarma
Old 09-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Damn ...!! Wish I could read German...<grin>
Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G
Damn ...!! Wish I could read German...<grin>
I wish I could be a professional translater:

I am 52 and have started in the 1960s to be interested in radiocommunication. At that time our neighbor was a radio ham and then I have also started with it. In the club station GST were many members who worked in Berlin WF. End of the 60th in the WF the rumor arose that the preproduction of a further development of the round 21" / 70° color picture tube, the 17" / 70° rectangular colour picture tube should be scrapped because the COMECON (a council for mutual economic aid, a "supra-national" economic plan organization of the former Eastern Bloc) had decided that the entire color picture tube production for the Eastern Bloc states will be executed in the USSR on the basis of a RCA licence for a 21" / 90 ° rectanglular color picture tube. The color pitcure tube development in the G.D.R. should be stopped.
This was --of course-- a reason for some workers in the WF, this one and single color picture tube of the G.D.R. to rescue. And so 4 - 6 crts were gathered, which were smuggled in a cloak-and-dagger operation out of the WF. The development of the crt was so far that even some tubes had the labels B43G4C.
But what to do with a naked color picture tube without any supplies, without yoke, convergence units, no purity magnets--nothing more than the simple color picture tube? The yokes of the b/w tv sets were not suitable, a color picture tube has three guns and the neck was much thicker (40 millimeter as far as I can remember). At first some old plans for wiring deflection coils were found in old books from the beginning of television technique. The ferrite core of the yoke was built from old ferrite cores of b/w deflection yokes, which was milled and filled in suitable forms and glued with the wellknown "Duosan" glue. After some weeks of drying and airing the ferrite core was really dry and solid. The wiring of the horizontal deflection was manufactored as a saddle coil and the coil for vertical deflection was simply wired around the ferrite core.
For the convergence unit a construction on a plastic carrier with pieces of AM antenna ferrite with corresponding coils was built for dynamic convergence with small revolvable magnets. Also some magneticable brass rings with suitable diameter someone had get for purity adjustments. These all parts were assembled and fitted on a PVC tube--usually used for the john-- as the yoke for the B43G4C.
Due to the fact that the B43G4C was a 17" 70 degree picture tube, it was self-evident, to insert the picture tube into an older b/w tv housing which had already a 17" crt bezel. I know that one of us "upgraded" an old "Weißensee" b/w tv set to a color tv set. For myself I had a tv set housing of a much older brand, but I can't remember the brand.
The entire schematics for the color tv set were from any Western journal, and as far as it was possible, the b/w circuits were used. The IF and tuner stages were taken from a b/w tv set, and the vertical deflection units also. For the horizontal deflection and high voltage stages, one had to use other ways, because the 17" color picture tube needed much more power. The special horizontal output tubes from the western countries were not available, and so two separated horizontal stages were built out of b/w horizontal stages. One only for the deflection and the other one only for high voltage. This had the advantage that a problematic due to X-rays shunt regulator was not necessary.
The PAL decoder (SECAM was not already introduced) was also assembled full solid state according to a Western journal. The greatest problem was to get the color subcarrier crystal with 4.43 MHz. They used for e.g. old quartzes from russion walkie-talkies and grind them until they reached the correct frequency values. The neccesary PAL delay line was no problem. This was produced at the WF for export. Some more problematic was the Y delay line for 1 microsecond. But without need the set would work properly without it. Brightness and color were not absolutely synchronous.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Muchas Gracias-erm, I guess I should say "Danke Schoen" !! <grin>
Old 01-03-2007, 06:24 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Deksnis
Fascinating piece. Notice the tube lineup. There was no Euro-subbing of tubes in the H-V cage: 6AU4, 3A3, and the good old American 6BK4.
Meanwhile the GDR color monitor has got an own web page (still in German language, but with a lot of high resolution photos):

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...arbmonitor.htm

It is a kind of NTSC tv monitor with NTSC frequencies adapted to the East German television standard. A draft scan of the schematics is now online.

Eckhard
Old 01-04-2007, 02:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice website. My only question is how do you plug this monitor in - to anything? I don't see any power or video input sockets, plugs, or the like.

David
Audiokarma
Old 01-04-2007, 03:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

It looks like there is a rectangular multipin connector on the back at the bottom. Perhaps it was designed to slot into a rack of some kind with the breakout box containing the video and power connectors mounted on the rack itself. I've seen this kind of arrangement used with test equipment.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:49 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuomi
Nice website. My only question is how do you plug this monitor in - to anything? I don't see any power or video input sockets, plugs, or the like.
See the photo

http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold...onitor_RGB.jpg

at the bottom there are video input sockets.

For the mains there is a separate power supply unit. This is not documented here.

Eckhard