Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

JVC GX-N5E Newvicon Connector Pinout

Hi everyone, I picked up a JVC Newvicon GX-N5E camera from the thrift today for a fiver. Decided it would look cool as a prop if I couldn't get it working, and would be even more cool if I could use it to film with. The problem is, of course, that it came with no VCR or cables, it was just the camera unit itself. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew the pinout of the 13 pin connector on the bottom that would hook up to the VCR. It appears to miss pin 2, although this could be how the engineers designed the plug. All I really need is power to the unit, and composite video and audio out of the unit. I could buy a MiniDV cam with composite in capabilities to capture video + audio from it, or even potentially try to make a Raspberry Pi video capture solution, that would go in a carry bag similar to those old handheld VCRs that would come with these cameras. But to do any of this, I will need to know how to fire this thing up and get it to give me a video signal. I don't want to just jam 12V on random pins to find out how to power it up, out of fear of frying electronics inside. Does anyone happen to know how I can achieve this? I've attached some (rather crappy but functional) pictures of the connector, and just for reference: The left upper pin is pin 1, the right lowest pin is 13. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Tinker

I have about 5 newvicon based cameras. Hope these pictures have the info you need. Also this website has lots of info: http://www.labguysworld.com/
Good luck,
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1476.jpg (64.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1477.jpg (50.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-04-2016, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the info! That should help me test the camera and eventually use it for some video recording! I'll probably build a 12V battery pack for it from some working laptop battery cells I rescued from a dead Toshiba laptop, which I'll put in my future carrying bag along side whatever I'll use for recording, it'd be a RPi or a MiniDV camcorder in VCR mode. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice camera. I found the service manual on freeservicemanuals.info site.

The file is about 151mb.Check page 5 which has the interconnecting diagram.

http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/se...ual/JVC/GXN5E/

BTW. I love your cat avatar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MWSnap0317 2016-11-05, 00_16_51.jpg (61.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-05-2016, 07:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, that'll allow me to get stereo audio out of it. I took the connectors for REM and the VCR cable out of the unit to study it, and I've come to the conclusion that the best way would be to remove the 8 wires for power/gnd, video/gnd, left audio/gnd and right audio/gnd. Then I'll carefully remove the original connector (it's molded into the plastic that holds the connectors together, either with shears or a drill, and then replace it with an 8-pin DIN, which I'll make a cable for that breaks out into a 12V barrel female jack, and female RCA jacks, so I can hook it up to any device I need and supply power. I have no interest in using a bulky, hard to find portable VCR VHS with it anyway, since using a digital solution will make it easier to get the images into my computer without quality loss.
Audiokarma
Old 11-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Tinker

My wife loves the photo of your cat.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Nice camera. I found the service manual on freeservicemanuals.info site.

The file is about 151mb.Check page 5 which has the interconnecting diagram.

http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/se...ual/JVC/GXN5E/

BTW. I love your cat avatar.
Thanks for the website info, I was looking for the schematic of a JVC gx-n70 newvicon a few years ago. This site has one for a gx-n70e.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

No problem. To keep things original .I would just keep the camera as is instead of taking the original plug out . With the service manual I would just find the video out and the 12 volt b+ on the PC boards and just tap in and solder there to see if it still works and no burns in the camera tube and then solder the power and video line out of the camera from there with the power and a shielded video output line with RCA jacks or the plug to match your capture device. .
Old 11-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNLOwner View Post
Thanks, that'll allow me to get stereo audio out of it. I took the connectors for REM and the VCR cable out of the unit to study it, and I've come to the conclusion that the best way would be to remove the 8 wires for power/gnd, video/gnd, left audio/gnd and right audio/gnd. Then I'll carefully remove the original connector (it's molded into the plastic that holds the connectors together, either with shears or a drill, and then replace it with an 8-pin DIN, which I'll make a cable for that breaks out into a 12V barrel female jack, and female RCA jacks, so I can hook it up to any device I need and supply power. I have no interest in using a bulky, hard to find portable VCR VHS with it anyway, since using a digital solution will make it easier to get the images into my computer without quality loss.
Please,let us know how well the camera image is, when you test it.
Ed
Old 11-05-2016, 11:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
Thanks for the website info, I was looking for the schematic of a JVC gx-n70 newvicon a few years ago. This site has one for a gx-n70e.
No problem Ed.He has alot of stuff there that is nowhere else for free.
Others good free manual sites are .

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=en loads of manuals there.2 a day download limit.

http://www.freeservicemanuals.net/index.asp 200 manual download limit . Just sign up and put a request for what you are looking for.If the guys have it they will upload it.

https://www.manualslib.com/ Some service manuals there .No limit there as I know of.

Why pay and you can get them for free.
Audiokarma
Old 11-05-2016, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
My wife loves the photo of your cat.
Thanks, but it's not actually my cat. Her name's Lil Bub and she's an internet famous cat, due to having a very rare growth disease which gives her a one-of-a-kind look.