Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Mitsubishi HS-E82 VCR Bad Picture

Good morning everyone.
This time I have a Mitsubishi HS-E82.
It was a bargain that I found with original remote included.
The problem reported by the owner is that it was working but no output video.
I took it appart and immediately saw that three 470uf capacitors were leaking on the signal board and one in the Hi-Fi board the same value too. I have located them in the pictures in red marker.
I replaced them, cleaned all the liquid remains and the video output got working again.
I saw too that were three surface mounted capacitors, two near the 470uf and one in a vertical board. I replaced them too, they were leaking too.
I replaced one surface mounted capacitor in the drum motor pcb, it was leaking too.
Now, resuming.
I have video output, vcr menu and tv channels with good picture, if I attach RCA cables to audio input AUX, and a bluetooth receiver I have good Stereo Sound, but no stereo in tv channels nor tape playback. I have the problem you can see in the video that I´ve attached.
I cleaned the upper drum heads, with printer paper and IPA, like I do to my other VCR´s, no luck.
Is this bad worn heads symptoms? Or I need to investigate deeper in the pcb´s for more bad caps?

Thank You!

Hugo.

Video link
https://vimeo.com/886789022
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.JPG (100.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Top.JPG (143.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Control.JPG (145.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg HI-FI.JPG (126.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Signal.JPG (124.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by hugocarmo; 11-21-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2023, 03:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

You really need to look at the RF envelope on the head amp board with a scope to properly diagnose an upper cylinder/head issue. The video does not resemble an RF problem with the heads but a cylinder servo issue to me.

Last edited by djski; 11-23-2023 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-23-2023, 03:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djski View Post
You really need to look at the RF envelope on the head amp board with a scope to properly diagnose an upper cylinder/head issue. The video does not resemble an RF problem with the heads but a cylinder servo issue to me.
Hi djski.
Thank You for your answer.
I managed to find the problem.
It was the tape left tape guide, the screw is very loose and it turned with the tape, managed to tune it and fixed it with thread-lock fluid!
It was more simple than I thougt!

Thank You!
Old 11-24-2023, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocarmo View Post
Hi djski.
Thank You for your answer.
I managed to find the problem.
It was the tape left tape guide, the screw is very loose and it turned with the tape, managed to tune it and fixed it with thread-lock fluid!
It was more simple than I thougt!

Thank You!
You have it roughed in. If you are able, to get it set 100%, the RF envelope should be checked using a scope and playing an alignment tape to ensure there is complete interchangability. You might have to further tweek that entrance guide to make the envelope as flat as possible and its amplitude is maxxed out with the tracking control centered. You may find the recordings from your Mits. may not properly play on some other VTR's or vice versa.

Last edited by djski; 11-24-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djski View Post
You have it roughed in. If you are able, to get it set 100%, the RF envelope should be checked using a scope and playing an alignment tape to ensure there is complete interchangability. You might have to further tweek that entrance guide to make the envelope as flat as possible and its amplitude is maxxed out with the tracking control centered. You may find the recordings from your Mits. may not properly play on some other VTR's or vice versa.
Thank You again for your answer.
Really helpfull but I don’t have a scope, neither a alignment tape. You have any tips for any enough good for this kind of situations?
I have “good” image in playback but in pause or slowmotion jog shuttle, I have image bouncing up and down, horizontal and Color out of sync, I,m trying tuning in or out tape guides but maybe I can only get the best result with a scope, right?

Thank You very much djski.
Audiokarma
Old 11-25-2023, 01:29 PM
blast, blast...

Glad you're on the problem! Mitsubishi had a little problem with loose tape guides, maybe not as bad as JVC and NEC did, but it was a thing.

Are you sure that's not a HS-U82? If so, I looked at one of those in 1994. It had some BIG problems in the tuner control and RF convertor and parts and labor totaled $332.65 (plus tax). It was certainly a different day for VCRs in 1994.