Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hitachi VT-5600A

Hi all, I found this at one of my local used stereo / music stores in town and didn't let it get away. Hitachi VT 5600A from (I think) 1979. Its not too badly beat up for a 38 year old VCR, just missing the lower door that covers the front jacks, and the top door for the clock / timer settings has broken hinges. Very superficial scratches and rub marks and that's it cosmetically. It was a bit dusty but 20 minutes of cleaning it and it came up as you see here. But (of course) it needs all belts replaced, as I would have expected, judging by what it does (doesn't) do. The only information I can find on the 'net is a copy of a service manual (site name eludes me at the moment) which also seems to be the only picture of one (grainy b/w pic) i can find as well. The VCR tries to thread, but nothing else other than FF and REW but always shuts down. I'm guessing that it has a fail-safe mechanism that detects no reel movement to stop the recorder if something goes awry. Capstan motor runs, and capstan is not seized. Definitely needs capstan, counter (may have two) belts at least. Pinch roller actually looks OK. I might have close substitutes for it somewhere in my parts stashes. I haven't yet had an opportunity to crack this open to get a good look inside. If anyone has information on belt/idler numbers or experience with this beast I would be very grateful indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my VT5600A.jpg (106.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hitachi VT 5600 A

I found the site for the service manual for this VCR: NoDevice.com . Does anyone know about this sites reputation etc?
Thanks, Max
Old 09-01-2017, 04:20 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Don't buy a manual. I have one, and it's supplement (A1) in TIFF format, 64 pages and 41 pages each, but it's too big to post here.

Manual:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...3pka0JzbUdCTFE

Supplement/A1 Manual:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0...zJsM0Yyb0RBYmM

They are on my google drive - Wiscojim taught me this one.....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 09-01-2017, 04:27 AM
Followin' the Rules...

BTW, I have tons of service manuals and Sams should anyone need:

Panasonic/Technics - ~ 4,000 models, all on microfiche
RCA/Thomson TVs of the late 90s - 2007, on ESI CDs
RCA/GE VCRs of the 90s - on microfiche
Samsung VCR and some TVs - on microfiche
Hitachi TV, VCR, Camcorder - in TIF or PDF, 19 CDs worth.
SEARS - multiproduct from the 70s to early 80s (Thanks, Bryan Gadow!!) on microfiche.
Sony - Multiproduct Audio and Video (very few VCRs) on Sony ESI - 11 CDs. I no longer have a computer capable of running the Sony ESI software that provides the index, so it's hunting for the manual by the SM part number. I have an index (html) from Union Electronics I use, but it is slow and tedious to look through all them CDS.
Little Zenith paper lit (mostly Late SysIII stuff) and some microfiche.
LG and LG-made Zenith from the early 2000s - LCD, plasma and some Zenith CRT TVs, as well as Set-Top-Boxes
I don't have Riders, nor any radio Beitmans, but still have my 50s/60s TV Beitmans....

....yours for postage if I can ship it/spare it, or a very nominal price for stuff I've had to buy.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 09-01-2017 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added...
Old 09-02-2017, 02:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey thanks Findm-Keepm !!!! I'll be having look at that manual for sure. Once I get my " shop " set up again ( renovations ) I have some space to take on this project among a few others. I was surprised to find this vcr as I hadn't seen one like this since the early 80's at my friends dads house - thats the only other time I have seen one of these Hitachi vcrs ( his may have been a VT 5000 two speed machine) . Vcrs like this are definitely up my alley!
Audiokarma
Old 11-09-2017, 05:29 PM
blast, blast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX70 View Post
The VCR tries to thread, but nothing else other than FF and REW but always shuts down. I'm guessing that it has a fail-safe mechanism that detects no reel movement to stop the recorder if something goes awry. Capstan motor runs, and capstan is not seized. Definitely needs capstan, counter (may have two) belts at least.
Yes, does likely have a reel sensor. But, before it even gets that far there may be a switch that is not being made for the end-of-threading-travel.

Any of this can certainly be due to bad belts. Or, dirty switches.

Good luck. Looks like a fun project.