Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
I would be interested to hear your thoughts about GE making the Hue/Tint control a rear panel screwdriver adjust control. Is the tint stable enough that you don't need to adjust it often? Is the crystal ringing oscillator circuit that stable?
The PortaColor has the same type circuit.
The only GE that didn't use it was a IIRC the CA model, RCA semi-clone. If that the one I'm thinking about, the original GE service manual shows the color board as RCA design, including their artwork.
The 1957 GE color set, IIRC 21CL500 with the "L" shaped chassis and three 5U4's had a compression trimmer tint control as part of the front operating controls. That one also used the Victoreen HV regulator.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Yes, that's his. I saw it Sunday when I picked up some other items from him. There will be logistical problems on his end as well. Damn stairs!

That was fun getting the CTC5 out, I bought from him.
I saw the GE then. That cabinet seems very large compared to the other 15" models.
Ask Bob G. if he remembers getting John Folsom's Admiral out of that upper flat in Sheboygan. That was fun too!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

GE wasnt done with tint control hijinks. Most of there sets
the tint works the opposite of all other sets. They also reversed
the brite & contrast functions on a few. The PC II & that dog
16" set IIRC.
And to rub it in my GE range has the UP arrow on the left & the DOWN
arrow on the right. Go figure........

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
That was fun getting the CTC5 out, I bought from him.
I saw the GE then. That cabinet seems very large compared to the other 15" models.
Ask Bob G. if he remembers getting John Folsom's Admiral out of that upper flat in Sheboygan. That was fun too!
Yes I remember removing that Admiral 15" set. It was in a 2nd floor room of a hoarder's house. The winding stairwell path to the 2nd floor was only wide enough to walk one foot in front of the other. First floor of the house was so packed that the owner had to crawl over a pile of stuff in the doorway to the bedroom to get to the bed. It took us several of hours to clear the 2nd floor hallway and the winding stairwell to the 1st floor. But well worth the effort because the set had a good 15G and it is an ultra rare set. The Admiral has a very unique cabinet design in which the front swings up and rearward to access the chassis for service and adjustments. VERY COOL!! Admiral did a great job designing that set. Wish I had one.

Here's a photo of the ADmiral sitting in my van after we exhumed it from the hoard house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5731.jpg (71.4 KB, 119 views)

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 01-13-2018, 01:50 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
I would be interested to hear your thoughts about GE making the Hue/Tint control a rear panel screwdriver adjust control. Is the tint stable enough that you don't need to adjust it often? Is the crystal ringing oscillator circuit that stable?
This has been discussed elsewhere on VK, but the summary is that either PLL or ringing circuits can be designed to do an equivalent job. The GE circuits do not show any noticeable deficit in performance.

The practical reasons why the hue control should have been on the front are variations in burst phase from the broadcaster and the fact that people with normal color discrimination can have a difference in sensitivity to the red and green NTSC primaries (up to +/- 20% worst case according to an early RCA paper).
Audiokarma
Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Yes I remember removing that Admiral 15" set. It was in a 2nd floor room of a hoarder's house. The winding stairwell path to the 2nd floor was only wide enough to walk one foot in front of the other. First floor of the house was so packed that the owner had to crawl over a pile of stuff in the doorway to the bedroom to get to the bed. It took us several of hours to clear the 2nd floor hallway and the winding stairwell to the 1st floor. But well worth the effort because the set had a good 15G and it is an ultra rare set. The Admiral has a very unique cabinet design in which the front swings up and rearward to access the chassis for service and adjustments. VERY COOL!! Admiral did a great job designing that set. Wish I had one.

Here's a photo of the ADmiral sitting in my van after we exhumed it from the hoard house.
Exhumed it, that's funny.
At least, we didn't have to call the Medical Examiner. Not much changed in that place, since then.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

GE also sold some early 60s color sets, using RCA chassis, the CW and CX. The CW was similar to the CTC11, and the CX was fairly close to the CTC12. I trained on one of those in the early 1970s.